Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

I meant that the very recent reclassification of my local exchange to "priority fibre" stopped me transferring to another FTTC service as presumably TalkTalk/Sky etc won't be allowed to place an order. 

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Anyone know, if we switch our number to Sipgate can we plug the DECT cordless handset into the port covered on the back of Hub2?

This thread seems to suggest a firmware update is needed but he's talking about a BT hub but it's the same as the PN hub2

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Smart-Hub-2-DECT-functionality/td-p/1832491

or will we need an adapter. I'm not sure what the FTTP master sockets look like

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ukguy1 - no you can't. The SIP registration parameters are not exposed in the firmware so there's nowhere for you to configure the account to work.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

In that other thread Plusnet pushed through a firmware update.

Ok so where does the phone plug into to use Sipgate VOIP?

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Phone plugs into ATA which is connected by ethernet to hub

eg

http://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-atas/analog-telephone-adaptors/product/ht801

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

ah thanks!

That looks similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bewinner-Voice-over-IP-Internet-Interface-Protocol-UK/dp/B0816RSJ3S/ref=pd_...

so it's either the DECT phone into an adapter like those which goes into the ethernet port

(with the SIP settings menu in the adapter)

or a VOIP phone which I guess has it all built in, then that directly into ethernet

(with the SIP settings menu in the phone)

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ukguy1 A lot of Voip users, including me use a Gigaset ( Previously Siemens) VOIP/PSTN base station which connects to your router and phone line if required. The handsets can make and receive both VOIP and PSTN calls and several VOIP accounts can be configured. The N300 IP and N300 A IP are popular choices. The A version has an answer machine if you want it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The A version has an answer machine if you want it.

TBH if you're using it purely on voip , I wouldn't bother with the A. The voip provider's answerphone system ( particularly Sipgate's ) is better especially if you're away from home for a while e.g holiday.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

TBH if you're using it purely on voip , I wouldn't bother with the A. The voip provider's answerphone system ( particularly Sipgate's ) is better especially if you're away from home for a while e.g holiday.

Yes, and you even get emailed an mp3 file of the message !

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Mark63 wrote:

And transcription if you want a hard copy!

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Mark63 wrote:

... never quite sure if people are joking, on here : )

... so I looked it up.

https://www.sipgate.co.uk/features/voicemail and
https://teamhelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204167531-Checking-Your-Voicemail

Extraordinary how much things have progressed.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Memphis
Hooked

@Gandalf or any fellow PN Wizards.

Currently an FTTC customer and have been for years. Would like to upgrade onto full fibre FTTP which is available for our property.

Now that PN have fully launched their fibre packages, how can I upgrade my broadband to FF but retain the copper line for long enough to port out my existing phone number? The call charges and line rental are paid to BT so there's no PN involvement with the voice aspect.

Also have a static IP address which I wish to retain as well if that makes any difference.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

As I understand things...

• You can upgrade your existing account and keep all of it's attributes (such as your fixed IP address and legacy email / web hosting / domain hosting / referrals if you have them) ... but lose your phone number
  • You can create a new account and join as a new customer, then in your own time gracefully move your phone to VoIP and later on close the FTTC / voice account, paying any ETCs due and lose everything else connected to that account

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Memphis 

I take it you're on a legacy product from the days when PlusNet did Broadband only.

This should be possible and I seem to recall postings on this subject not so long ago. You'd need to have a good look through the Full Fibre forum to see if there is indeed musing about this - unless someone remembers and can post a link.

I believe @Gandalf is not in until next week but you would certainly need staff involvement to ensure the phone line isn't cut off prematurely. Even though it's with BT there's apparently something about the ordering system which can trigger action on your line.

Brian

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

When you order the new full fibre click “extra features” and it has “retain old landline” etc

Ivd just had an engineer to check a line at another property and he said mention to them aswell when they do the install as they are usually told to remove the old copper.

Even if removed I guess the line would still be active at plusnet anyway.
Just need to ensure the copper line isn’t terminated before your port to voip

Our wait time for full fibre is about 4-5 weeks and port time is 3 weeks so don’t rush to port too early. Better to pay two contracts for a month I think