cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: capacity issues - continued

Is this 14 days grace in the Plusnet T & Cs? Several people have referred to it in the last month, and unless it's in there it doesn't apply.
Distance Selling regs do not apply.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

I don't know about it being in the T & Cs but its there as i was told by the Plusnet Customer person that i had 14 days and if i didn't want to stay i just phoned them up. A lot of customers are being locked into contracts and i don't think 14 days is long enough for someone to say if their service is what they were told it would be.
Estragon
Rising Star

I've just checked. (Since reading your post).
It's 14 days from their acceptance of your order, not 14 days from joining. Also, if you do happen to join within the 14 days you are liable for any migration & setup fees, plus pro-rata of the full price for the length of time on the service. All discounts and free periods are invalidated as (I presume) they were conditional on staying for the full minimum term.
Cancellation
10.You can cancel a service anytime up to 14 calendar days after the day we accepted your order (except for BT Sport, Plusnet Protect or YouView TV from Plusnet channel packs, which you must keep for at least 30 days). If you cancel after we start to provide the service, you must pay the service subscription charge for any period that the service was made available to you and for any use of that service not covered by the subscription charge, up to the date that you told us you wanted to cancel, and return any equipment we supply that is needed to use that service. You will also need to pay any installation, connection or activation charges associated with that service - including the full cost of charges that were discounted or advertised as free as a condition of taking the service on the terms that you agreed when we accepted your order. If the service you sign-up for is an additional feature, a re-contract and/or upgrade, upon cancelling the service we may revert you to your previous contract or the closest matching service.
hapless
Grafter

I've spent a bit of time reading Plumnet's T&C.
There's a few bits in there that they would seriously struggle to uphold, and far too much in favour of Plumnet and so will fall foul of unfair terms.
My limited view (IANAL blah blah) - if you're not happy and you are resonably close to sign up, then I'd suggest forgoeing CISAS, as that requires a deadlock letter and go small claims route.
Not for everybody, it's not free intially (but if you win your get your costs back), you may have to get a new line and new service if your net is critical for you whilst it goes on, but there is no bias and if you feel aggrieved and can read documents properly then it's a definite option.
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
Is this 14 days grace in the Plusnet T & Cs? Several people have referred to it in the last month, and unless it's in there it doesn't apply.
Distance Selling regs do not apply.

The Distance Selling Regulations have been subsumed into the Consumer Contracts Regulations, and these apply even if Plusnet had omitted to mention them.
Plusnet have a duty to set out the cancellation rights afforded by these regulations, and this is what their cancellation terms aim to do.
On topic: add me to the list of people leaving. Like others, I wasted a lot of time trying to help on this issue. Then I woke up and smelled the coffee  Wink
Estragon
Rising Star

I knew something had happened to "Distance Selling", but the replacement didn't spring to mind last night :). Thanks for the fill-in.
However, I haven't the time to check now, but I think the caveat about the cancellation time still applies - when the supplier has to set things in motion such as in this case orders on Openreach and/or BT Wholesale so as to fulfil the order.
Migrations in will now be covered anyway, as they can be cancelled right up to the transfer time. But that also swallows Plusnet's 14 days from order acceptance.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

ptn-bng01
IP registered to US  https://db-ip.com/146.198.235.65

No internet access.
Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    39 ms    96 ms    97 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    26 ms    26 ms    25 ms  lo0.13.central13.pcl-bng01.plus.net [195.166.130
.141]
  3    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  4    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  5    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  6    *        *        *    Request timed out
snip

pcl-bng03
IP registered to UK

ptw-bng01
IP registers to US  https://db-ip.com/146.198.152.205

pcl-ag03
IP registered to UK

Sad Sad
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
I knew something had happened to "Distance Selling", but the replacement didn't spring to mind last night :). Thanks for the fill-in.
However, I haven't the time to check now, but I think the caveat about the cancellation time still applies - when the supplier has to set things in motion such as in this case orders on Openreach and/or BT Wholesale so as to fulfil the order.
Migrations in will now be covered anyway, as they can be cancelled right up to the transfer time. But that also swallows Plusnet's 14 days from order acceptance.

But thats the point, Plusnet's cancellation policy reflects the cancellation rights of the Consumer Contracts Regulations (extension of the rights previously offered under the DSRs), because Plusnet have to inform of your rights and apply them. It's always been specified in the Distance Selling Regulations that the cancellation period for services starts on the day the contract is entered into, same as the replacement regulations and therefore Plusnet's current terms.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find a decent gateway
ptn-bng02
pcl-ag05
pcl-ag08
pcl-bng01
pcl-bng03
ptn-ag04
ptw-bng01
All gave me 4mbit too 7mbit on single threaded speedtests using TBBs tester and a couple even gave similar results on the multi threaded results
But these two don't give me my fullspeed of 29mbit but a workable 20mbit.  So if hunting for a gateway tonight avoid those in the first list, oh for being able to afford to leave this sinking ship
pcl-ag04
ptn-bng01
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
deathtrap
Grafter

Currently the TBB tester seems to be struggling with single threaded , not sure if tbb or it's peering , I concluded this by using an alternative version of the same speed tester that is hosted by my isp and this gives perfect results, also i see near max rate on single thread when downloading a test file ,So maybe too much reliance is being placed on the TBB speed tester, granted it is normally working and providing  accurate results, but today it seems to be flakey
Estragon
Rising Star

An ISP hosting a version of the tbb speedtester? I think not.
deathtrap
Grafter

they do, but i doubt anyone other than a customer will be able to use it, it also can be used in a walled garden mode similar to the BTW TAP3 and the single threaded part is timed instead of showing a percentage to complete countdown, and does not provide linkable results
Estragon
Rising Star

Are you sure you aren't talking about a hosted version of the OOKLA speedtest, aka the speedtest.net engine? The fact the tbb one has a dial like that doesn't mean anything.
The tbb one is designed to pick up many things the OOKLA test doesn't.
deathtrap
Grafter

Positive  You would have to be blind or dumb or both even not to be able to distinguish between them, The main feature of the TTB test is that it does a single threaded test,both upstream and downstream ,other speedtesters inc BTW speedtester all use multiple threads.which can sometimes cover up issues
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Yah, got my first bad result in a couple of months tonight:

You are currently connected to gateway ptw-ag02
No sign on my TBBQM of a break so I don't think my gateway has changed.
Edit:I just checked earlier in this thread and it's the same gateway I was on when I last posted about how for me at least things were looking good. I wonder if this time it is a TBB issue?