cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Cazaline71
Hooked

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply, I am uploading as I type so I will post again the results! Hopefully this will be the end of it!

Just out of curiosity, is anyone going to ask for refunds/compensation for the service?

chinghammer
Hooked

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

To be honest I think we'd be entitled to it. We're paying for something that Plus Net has failed to deliver up till now
emtuff

@bobpullen  OMG! It's a million times worse this evening!  Wifi stays stable until I try and stream anything.  I am not uploading anything at all, but the minute I try to play a YouTube video, for example, the wifi stops.

We set up a ping from my laptop to my router, and from my laptop to the internet, and I had 99% connection rate until I started streaming, then BOOM - nothing.  Image attached of the ping logs.

There are no contentious wifi networks in the vicinity as verified by Inssider.  Laptop is max 5metres line of sight from router.  It's as if the wifi firmware is no longer compatible with the anything else on wifi.

Cazaline71
Hooked

@chinghammer Be prepared that you will only get the broadband service refunded, not the actual line rental which is ridiculous, I mean "LINE RENTAL" you rent the line and when the line doesn't work, you shouldn't have to pay!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@emtuff, something else is afoot there. Why is your router assigned a non-default IP? I'd expect the address to be 192.168.1.254 Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

emtuff

Because we changed it. Leaving it as default is not good practice as it doesn't "play well" with VPNs, and I work from home using a VPN a lot of the time.

I plugged in an extender and it achieved a stable connection when streaming. I have also managed to stably stream to the TV, which is in the same room as the main router. It seems more that the wifi subsystem in the PlusNet router is very poor and cannot reach another room 5metres away.

Can you improve the router wifi?
Thanks for your help
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@bobpullen wrote:

I expect to see far fewer reports of this problem after today as we're currently in the process of pushing this config change out to the majority of Unlimited Fibre customers.

Will we see anything in our router logs, or is the change invisible to us?

pmulcare

I have been referred here by customer service. Since my service switched over from BT to PlusNet on the 2nd March my connection has been unstable.

I don't think it's linked to uploads as it happens at any point and disconnects me randomly for a periods of 5-10 seconds from the net or my work VPN. In the last 72 hours there has been 8 drops (according to PN stats)

Upload speeds are horrendously slow. Trying to upload anything e.g. 2MB photo to Google Photos/Drive can take 30 seconds. 

To put this into context I had the same line with BT for 18 months prior and had no problems. My upload speed with BT Fibre Unlimited was approx. 8.5mbps, with PlusNet on the same line its 1.78mbps (max). 

Information requested below 

• Make/model of router :   PlusNet Hub One
  • Firmware/software version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
  • What product/speed you have: PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
  • Devices being used to upload (devices connected, not all uploading) : 2x Windows laptops, 2xAndroid smartphone & iPhone 
  • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using: Google Drive, Google Photos, Cisco VPN (Work) iCloud - none uploading any large files.
  • When the problem first started: Friday 3rd March

Please help me fix this as soon as possible as it's becoming very frustrating now. 

Thanks 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@emtuff wrote:
Because we changed it. Leaving it as default is not good practice as it doesn't "play well" with VPNs, and I work from home using a VPN a lot of the time.

I'd question that logic. As long as the network you're connecting to is on a different private IP subnet then it shouldn't cause any issues at all. What would be bad practice is for somebody to set up a corporate VPN on an IP range that is used by the majority of consumer routers Wink

Can you improve the router wifi?

No, however your signal should not deteriorate so significantly over such a short range (unless your walls are practically impenetrable!)

You can try manually tinkering with the 2.4Ghz wi-fi channel, to see if explicitly setting it to 1, 6, 11 etc. helps. You can also try disabling the 5Ghz channel, or separating the two SSIDs/network names, so you have one for 2.4Ghz and another for 5Ghz. That would help you establish which it is that's causing you problems. FWIW, the 2.4Ghz frequency (whilst slower) will broadcast further.

Having said all that, this discussion is specifically about PPP disconnections caused by uploading and it seems you have a different problem. Might be an idea to start a new thread if you're still struggling.

@bobminors wrote:
Will we see anything in our router logs, or is the change invisible to us?

You're likely to see a CWMP event. Having said that, I think yours has already been done hasn't it?

@pmulcare, your router has had a config change pushed to it, so you should find things are better now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

samrive

Hi Bob

I really hope you can help with my internet problem - like everyone else my internet just drops off. I work off One Drive so I am uploading a lot. 

Please can you help? My work is becoming impossible!

Many thanks,

Sam

Information requested below 

• Make/model of router :   PlusNet Hub One
  • Firmware/software version:
  • What product/speed you have:
    Unlimited Fibre 40/2
  • Devices being used to upload (devices connected, not all uploading) : Window 10 device
  • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using: One Drive, VPN (Work) 
  • When the problem first started: when I got the new router and fibrebroadband (6 weeks)
samrive

Dear Bob, I really hope you can help with my internet dropping off. I upload for work to One Drive, but my work is becoming impossible. 
Please can you help?
many thanks,
Sam

• Make/model of router - *Plusnet Hub One* • Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages)Software version: *4.7.5.1.83.8.226* • What product/speed you have. - *Unlimited Fibre 40/2* • Gateway you're connected to: • Device being used to upload from Windows 10 machine • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using: One Drive • When the problem first started: when I got fibre broadband and a new router - approx. 2 months ago • If you have access to a different router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub One: specific to the HUB 1

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@samrive, should be sorted now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

samrive

Great, thanks Bob.

I will let you know how it goes. 

Many, many thanks, 

Sam

Cazaline71
Hooked

@bobpullen it seems to be working now! Although not a steady as before, there's frequent dips from 2mbps to 1.8/7 or so. But not a big deal. Just glad I can upload something over 50 Mb!!! Haha.

Thanks for your help again! If the problem appears again, I'll be sure to let you know!
tfstorm

Hi @bobpullen I believe I'm suffering a similar problem to the other posters in this thread. The details of my hub are as follows: 

Hub Type: Plusnet Hub One

Software: 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1

Line: 80/20

I have a PC connected via a Netgear wireless extender to my Plusnet Hub One and when I'm uploading the Hub One disconnects the wireless extender. It happens extremely frequently when I'm connected to a VPN or as I said uploading (usually when gaming).

I do also see the same problems on other devices I have connected like my android phone which is not connect to the hub via the wireless extender so I don't believe it is the extender at fault.