Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal response from Plusnet?

infidelus
Rising Star

Re: Normal response from Plusnet?

Matthew,
Thanks again.  If you can get an engineer tomorrow, that'd be great.  Please do.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'll get that booked in for you now and I'll update the fault shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
xreyuk
Grafter

Not to butt in the way, but seeing as you're waiting for an engineer visit, have you tried turning the modem off/disconnecting the cable since it's been installed? It's possible that at the time you were synchronising there was a burst of noise meaning you sync lower (has happened to me many times before on various circuits).
If the BT engineer is a while away, could I suggest turning off the modem for just over 30 minutes, and turning it back on to see if you sync at better speeds. Leave it off for 30 minutes to make sure DLM does not interfere with your line, and if BT ask when you last switched it off just tell them you did it because you were having power work done or something.
infidelus
Rising Star

Thanks.  Yes, the modem has been switched off, and the engineer disconnected it for about an hour when he was here last time.
infidelus
Rising Star

The engineer's left about 1/2 hour ago.
He turned up about 9am and ran some tests.  He disagrees with the previous engineer who said there was no fault on the line.  He then went to cabinet and says that I'm synced at 80/20 there.  The fibre cabinet is only ~200 yards from the house as verified by engineer (and I know exactly where it is now, which isn't where I previously thought - that one's the Virgin Media cabinet).
He ran another speed test and still only only got 31Mb.
He then went outside and opened a manhole cover, got me to boil the kettle and then poured boiling water over wires to clear the gunk.  I'm not sure what else he did there, but he was out there for about 20 minutes.
He came back into house and tested again.  Same result.
He then got his ladder out and went up pole and tested something there, and I think he said he moved me onto a different pair.
He then disappeard off in van for about another 20 minutes (I assume back to the cabinet again).
When he came back he ran some other tests, and mentioned something about the 'D side between the pole and the cabinet' when he came back in, and I believe he was referring to the errors he'd seen on his tests previously.  He seemed much happier with the results this time and said various numbers were where they were supposed to be (that's not what he said, but I'm senile and can't remember).
He ran another speed test from his phone, which now says I'm synced at 80/20.
He's now gone on to his next job and seemed very happy that everything was as it should be.
I've just run my own speed tests, one at speedtest.net and another at the BT wholesale test site.
While the upload speed has improved dramatically, the download speed seems about the same as before.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4281495180
So that's how it stands at the moment.  I haven't turned the modem off yet (the engineer left it on but disconnected while he was here), but I might try that and leave it off for 1/2 hour and test again.
infidelus
Rising Star

The modem's been off for an hour over lunchtime.  I've just run another test with no change to the results. Sad
It looks like something's still not right somewhere, although as you can see from the picture, it at least shows that my expected speeds are 60Mb+.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Your Current Line Speed has probably not updated yet.
It should be just below the Profile reported by the BT Speed Tester, and can take a few hours to update. Just leave the modem/router on and wait...
deathtrap
Grafter

Or give plusnet tech support a call and ask them to manually set it to what it should be
infidelus
Rising Star

I just had a chat with someone, but he didn't want to do anything until the faults team got to the ticket, which could be between 24 - 72 hours apparently.
Quote from: Jaggies
Your Current Line Speed has probably not updated yet.
It should be just below the Profile reported by the BT Speed Tester, and can take a few hours to update. Just leave the modem/router on and wait...

I'm guessing 'a few hours' is a wavy line of indeterminate length? Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

They update something like every 5-6 hours or so during the day, but it does depend on what's called a Delta Report from BT being received and processed by Plusnet.
There have been occasions when the Delta Report has been delayed or not processed in a timely manner, but generally tech support / CRT are able to correct the value. You may need to disconnect/reconnect after it has updated for you.
infidelus
Rising Star

Thanks for that.
Looks like I'm going to be waiting until tomorrow or Monday then as my current line speed is still showing as 30Mb.  Anyone'd think it was the weekend ....
sebjo
Grafter

had the same issue when we moved , tech could read 71+ on his test but line was " blocked at 40" bt tech said probably plusnet only allowing 40mb to your line , phoned plusnet customer service , took them 5 min to change my profile , restart router and i was at 71/72 MB ...  just call them , tell them tech said youR line is delivering 70Mb on his test and you ask them to "unblock" what they allow on your line and give you your full speed capacity , they HAVE to do it is line been tested and can handle 70+ MB , otherwise its a con to pay for 76 and only have 30Mb !!
infidelus
Rising Star

My profile was still showing as 30Mb this morning with speed tests to match, so I've just called Plusnet tech support and spoke to a very nice man called Craig who ran some tests on my line and called me back to say he'd updated my profile.  I had to reset the router and modem, but after running another speed test, I can happily report that I'm finally getting speeds within range of my expectations.

Matthew, thanks for keeping me updated (and getting me an engineer on Saturday!), and I take back my previous comments about not needing another engineer.  You were right.  I did apparently need one!
sebjo
Grafter

told you so Smiley enjoy now
infidelus
Rising Star