cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket Advice

krf45
Hooked

Master Socket Advice

Usually we keep the router in my son's room, next to his desktop as the rest of us use laptops/tablets etc, it has the bonus that four of his "wired" devices can hook up direct, some of which have no wi-fi option built in.

We have never used a master socket, its nowhere near anything that needs a connection in any home we have lived and while improved, wi-fi is still not a like for like replacement for a wired connection with Ethernet, so, on reading I've seen people suggest 'homeplug' accessories for traditional broadband but have also seen people suggest it will not be good for fibre connection speeds.

Its all come up again because we are switching from broadband to fibre with plusnet in the next fortnight.  Over the last year and a half with plusnet the connection drops fairly regularly, (we realise this is probably on BT), we have also noticed the last month or so, since BT claimed the cabinet was now fibre enabled, our speeds have dropped by a fairly significant margin on tradition broadband, from about 9 down maximum, to 6 down maximum. 

Basically, were looking for advice in how to set this up to be reliable, and with the best speed available to us with nothing on our end being a possible cause from intermittent speeds, drops or the likes. 

Additional:  I dont know if any of this helps so adding.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 66.5 49 19.9 13.8 40.4 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 53.8 30.2 17 7.8 25 Available -- -- Yes --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N

Added tags and the table above. 

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Master Socket Advice

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having intermittent speed issues.

Ideally, the best place for your broadband connection to rule out any issues with internal wiring would be to plug your router in the test socket [found by removing the faceplate of the master socket] with no extension cabling.

Whilst I appreciate that's not convenient for your ethernet connections, I'd recommend getting a set of powerline adapters [homeplugs] which would then extend the broadband connection through the electricity wiring of the property.

Alternatively, we could arrange an engineer for you to move your master socket to a convenient location, though that'd come with a call-out charge of £160. Having said that, that way you'd be able to have your router in the best place for your broadband connection and in the best place that's convenient use ethernet connections.

I have a look into your account and I've just sent you confirmation of your fibre activation date.

I hope this helps,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet