cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If my UF speed is so below average how can you offer UF extra?

FIXED
goodviews
Grafter

If my UF speed is so below average how can you offer UF extra?

Hi. I am on Unlimited Fibre. I get speeds from 10-27 mbps. The BT speedchecker says that over 20 is ok .

The advertised avge is 36 capped at 40.

You are offering me UF Extra for another £5 but how can I justify it when I get far less than the average already? If the line will only support 25 mps why offer me more for more money?

John

13 REPLIES 13
mickeyetc
Grafter

Re: If my UF speed is so below average how can you offer UF extra?

you are not getting anything like the minimum your guaranteed

with broadband extra from BT you should get 62/18 on average. Mines slightly better

without the extra they will cap it at its lowest minimum output and you have to pay for the speed improvement

your best using the speed test checker and selecting the closest servers to you and doing a test. This would tell you your best possible speed.

I just did a demo on a forum I Administer and I get results from that are far more than the guarantee of 62 meg but getting

Speedtest from my closest server then using a vpn to test performance issues

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@goodviews if you want to know what your line is capable of then put your number into the DSL Checker copy te results on here is you need help interpreting the results, but make sure you hide the results. As you point out, if your line will not support the higher speeds you would be wasting your money.

Using a speed tester to check what you should get is totally wrong.

Depending on your router, yo can also get a better idea of what your line will support by going to the advanced section/helpdesk, and looking at the sync speed, and max speed. If this is lower than 40Mbps then it would be pointless going for Extra.

goodviews
Grafter

It looks like I 'should' be getting better speeds than I do. See attachment. Thanks for the guidance. 

John

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@goodviews John, yes, looks like you are quite close to your cabinet, so should be getting great speeds.

The question I would ask is how you are testing your speeds?

Also you need to work out a way to see what your sync speeds are, if you don't have a Hub one, ask PN for a GEA test.

goodviews
Grafter

Sync speed is 39.95 I think.  I am testing using Network speed test and the BT wholesale speedchecker (though that is a PITB).

it can be 11 it can be 15, 17 20+ but rarely above 24 and never above 28

Thanks all of you.

goodviews
Grafter

Attachement for line speed here.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Alas that still does not show the sync speeds, but it does show your IP profile, and that you are on an old product 38/2 and not 38/10 - so that in itself is worth  reporting a fault. 

You also still have not mentioned how you are testing, or what router you have so we ca hopefully help show more useful information.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@goodviews

My guess is that you’re testing over a wireless link. Only those conducted over an Ethernet link can be relied on as wireless issues need to be eliminated. Assuming that you are using wireless then try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Having done this try each band in turn to find the best.

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and sort your upload speed. This should have been increased to 10 Mbps ages ago.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

goodviews
Grafter

Sorry. Yes I am testing over a wireless link. Yes I had already separated 2.4 and 5 gh (no discernable difference given the spread see attached) on advice from PlusNet a year ago.

I use an app called network speed test when I want to do a quick test and the BT wholesale Speedchecker when I want verification (and logging) but the latter is a pain in the bum Smiley

I didn't know that I was on wrong product. I was only signed on to this one a year ago.

PlusNet cust service is >30 mins on hold telephone, no online chat and increasingly difficult to raise a ticket. Always good when you get somebody but ….

goodviews
Grafter

Hub one.  I cannot see sync speed in admin pages.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Your post 7 shows that your sync speed is not the problem. If you could do a wired Ethernet test then it would be helpful.

The issue is very likely to be a wireless problem over which Plusnet have no control. Have you tried changing WiFi channels or bands? You will find the controls on the same router page as the band synchronisation control. Ideally use a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can see your neighbours’ transmissions and select the quietest. Look at both bands and both at the router location and where you use your devices as it can change as you move around a property.

The BTw speed tester seems to work reliably if using either Microsoft’s Internet Explorer or Edge browsers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

goodviews
Grafter

Hi all. I connected to the router and did tests with the BT speedtest and the Microsoft research speed test. The  download results via wifi (with laptop in front of router) seem to be 10mb lower than direct to router. still only 2 mb upload on both.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi John.

Our tests are showing what we know already know that your router is in sync at 40/2. The latest speed tests you've done are look about right given that WiFi can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, so it may be worth trying the steps Here.

Regarding your upload speed, unfortunately it looks like your account was missed in the regrade to 40/10 to improve an upload speed from 2mbps to up to 10mbps. Likely missed because the speed profile on your account is set to 55/10.

Long ago you would've been on the 55/10 service - something we moved customers on to as a compromise when we discontinued our 40/20 package, but due to this you were then provisioned on 40/2.

To sort this out, I've placed an order to modify your service matching it up with what your account says. You should hopefully see increased speeds within 1 working day(so it should be on Monday). Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet