cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to diagnose connection issues

Jonesy

Trying to diagnose connection issues

I have a ropey internet connection in my house - what I'm not sure yet is if the issue is the Unlimited Fibre Extra in, or the wireless connection, or both.

By ropey, I mean sometimes very slow (sometimes 1Mbps according to Speedtest), or disconnected completely. The slowness and disconnections can be both wired or wireless.

Sometimes the Hub One's light changes to orange...then resets.

Before I approach Plusnet with my issues, are the any good ways to analyse the issues? So far I've only used internet speedtest sites; I guess what would be better would be to somehow check the quality of the connection (wired and wireless), and the stability.

Unlimited Fibre Extra. Plusnet Hub One. Wired connection distributed around house via TP-Link Powerline Adapters. Main PC in room below router.
5 REPLIES 5
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Trying to diagnose connection issues

Hi @Jonesy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your services. I've taken a look into your account today and upon testing your line I can see that your line is performing within the estimated speed range as we would expect, although you are running towards the lower ends of the estimates. For reference, when we test your line we can see the Downstream Sync Rate is currently running at 54.4Mbps.

In regards to the speedtests that you're running when you receive 1Mbps download speeds, I believe this is most likely a wireless signal strength issue and I would recommend changing the wireless channels on your router to help improve this. I'll include a guide below on how this can be done, however I would also ask that you double check this by running a wired speedtest from the master phone socket on one of your devices if possible to get a more accurate reflection of the throughput speeds that you're achieving.

We have a helpful video guide for step-by-step support in changing your wireless channel here.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254
If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'
3) Select the option for 'Wireless.'
4) If this is the first time trying this, you can select the option to 'Refresh' at the bottom of the page which will force your router to rescan for the best channel for you.
5) If you are still having issues then you may wish to change the channels manually. To do this, repeat the above steps but select 'Advanced Settings' instead of 'Settings' and this will give you several other options.
6) Under 'Channel Selection' you will want to change this from Automatic to any one of the other channels and see if it improves your wireless. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and change it again if you see no improvement. If you are having the same issue on 5 GHz wireless then you can also change the wireless channel under the subheading of '5 GHz Wireless'.
Any Wireless channel is prone to interference and can be caused by a number of factors, changing this channel will usually resolve the issue, if problems are still persisting after this then it is likely that something else is causing the issue. Further help can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonesy

Hi AJ, thanks for the response. I have tried a quieter channel, and have also previously selected 'no' for 'Sync with 2.4 GHz', but the issue continues.

I wonder if the issue is with the broadband connection itself, as I have seen disconnects in the Event Log, and also the connection via my powerline adaptors, is sometimes very slow/appears to disconnect.

Can you see from your end if i'm suffering disconnects?

Is there anything in my Event Log I shouldn't be posting on the internet? I'm happy to paste text from it to make more sense of the issue, if that helps.

Unlimited Fibre Extra. Plusnet Hub One. Wired connection distributed around house via TP-Link Powerline Adapters. Main PC in room below router.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Jonesy

Our tests aren't showing any issues and your connection seems stable from this side:

Do you notice the light on the front of the router change colour when the connection drops for you? This is normally a good indicator as to whether the actual broadband connection is dropping out as opposed to your home network.

Posting up the event log should be OK as long as it doesn't include anything like your username in it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TeamGB
Dabbler

It appears you are having the same issue as me:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-aware-of-issue-affecting-Hub-one-router-routing/m-p/...

And other people:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/HubOne-firmware-issue-with-DNS/td-p/1509006

It seems like an ongoing issue that they have been aware of for some time, but have no answer to so far.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @TeamGB,

I'm sorry to see that you have experienced issues with your router along with the other users that have posted in the threads linked to in your comment. Whilst it is true there are common issues that can affect multiple users, we will always provide as much troubleshooting support as possible to best determine what the issue at play is so that we can provide an appropriate resolution.

@Jonesy, if any further issues have occurred since our last update, please let us know and we'll be happy to review this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team