cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

davenos
Rising Star

Re: Packet loss

I don't know whats changed today but streaming from my music apps is impossible, both the Ministry of sound live and Deezer apps cannot stream without distortion and constant stuttering and most online radios stations simply won't play.

Testsing via pingtest shows no packet loss but shows a ping of 150ms with 100ms jitter and this is not during peak hours.

breggles
Hooked

So one question I forgot is, my contract is up for renewal. What are the chances of this being an BT OpenReach problem, rather than a Plusnet problem? I.e. if switched to another OpenReach outfit, what are the chances of the problem going away?

Also, how do i open fault ticket with Plusnet, do I have to call them?

plusmore
Grafter

@breggles wrote:

So one question I forgot is, my contract is up for renewal. What are the chances of this being an BT OpenReach problem, rather than a Plusnet problem? I.e. if switched to another OpenReach outfit, what are the chances of the problem going away?

Also, how do i open fault ticket with Plusnet, do I have to call them?

About 99% positive it is localised to Plusnet - this is an internal routing/traffic shaping issue of some sort

watercooled
Grafter

i am having this issue too, my last provider was fine, switched to plusnet broadband and it was shocking from the start, changed to fibre and still shocking with packetloss, online gaming is not possible.

very very fed up with it.

davenos
Rising Star

Its starting to remind me of the Sky connect internet package, with that during peak hours the speeds are effected by upto 90% reduction and increased latency.
Im currently trying to download a 337.15mb file through Xbox live and its taken 8 minutes to get 65% done.

It is in my opinion traffic/network management and that's why its not being fixed, the only way to fix it is to remove the management and lets be realistic that's not going to happen.
watercooled
Grafter

so what can we do about it legally ?

i have only been with them 4 weeks.

watercooled
Grafter

Untitled.png

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@watercooled whatever you are using, it is not set up correctly to respond to pings.

watercooled
Grafter

what do i need to do

Browni
Aspiring Hero

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I'm showing some pretty bad stats doing speedtests with different websites. Nothing on the BQM, that is all squeaky clean but usually I have a nice straight line on the tests. Up and down like a roller coaster. Maybe Plusnet has a fault ongoing.

My latest speedtest

Usually bouncing around 19mb on upload. Even Speedtest.net is looking much the same. Ookla

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If watercooled is using the Plusnet Hub one then it wont respond to pings because it doesn't have that option so claiming he /she doesn't have it set up correctly is wrong.

watercooled
Grafter

yes using the hub one

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@Terranova667 I'm using a Hub One and this is my bqm

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

Bob1
Rising Star

@watercooled wrote:

what do i need to do

The Plusnet HubOne (and its stablemate the BT Homehub 5) cannot be set to respond to ICMP pings. The fix is to put a dumb device like a set-top box in the DMZ.