cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT HH6 or Hub One Router?

kerz2201
Dabbler

BT HH6 or Hub One Router?

Hi, have just upgraded to fibre as of last Thursday and having run speed tests at various times am now getting a slower download speed. I am still using a BT hub 6, should I be using the Hub one to get better speed? Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: BT HH6 or Hub One Router?

Let me put it this way, the Plusnet Hub One is a BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked software. The Smarthub 6 has superior wireless performance but both should synchronise at the same sort of speed. .

What speed do you get and how does it compare with that promised by Plusnet when you signed up for fibre?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kerz2201
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick 1 and thank you for your reply. With the same router I was previously on standard bb with speeds of approx 28-30. Since upgrading to fibre (which I only did as was offered at the same price) my speed is now on average 21.5. The minimum guaranteed speed is 25 however upon checking what speed I should get it says line speed is 40 and this will vary between 78 and 79 - not quite sure why but these are the figures displayed against the cabinet/exchange I have been connected to for just over 2 years. Am I perhaps being too impatient to let the "new" connection settle down? Many thanks in advance for any help.

kerz2201
Dabbler

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 79Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-10-27 09:32:52Current line speed:22.8 Mb

This is in the info when I checked speed details.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

First of all you weren't getting 28Mbps on standard broadband, it doesn't go that fast. 

What does this say about ADSL and VDSL speed if you enter your phone number?  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you were promised 40Mbps and only getting 22Mbps then something is wrong. No amount of settling time will make up that sort of difference. How are you checking your speed, wireless or via an Ethernet cable? Only wired tests are relevant at this stage. If you have a wireless problem then that is a separate issue that we can address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kerz2201
Dabbler

Thanks for further reply. My speed tests were undertaken regularly on standard bb and I can assure you that I was getting those speeds, from a wireless test and using ethernet cable. I have conducted latest tests from pc which is wired to router and also from tablet and mobile on wireless. Have just entered details onto DSL checker and the figures are 27.6 low and 40 high. Thanks again.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

@Baldrick1 is correct that standard ADSL broadband cannot exceed 20 mbps in any speed test, particularly if your upload speed was also significantly higher than 1 mbps

Perhaps most likely explanation is you were subscribed and paid for a standard ADSL broadband product, but you were actually provisioned with a FTTC fibre connection, and no one had spotted the error.  I read of another similar case posted on these forums recently.

You can also log into the Hub and check the current line speed (Data rate).  If it is below 25 Mbps guaranteed speed, it is very likely there is an issue with the line as mentioned by Baldrick1, and you need to contact Plusnet to resolve it.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kerz2201
Dabbler

Thanks Bill888. Yes I assume I was plugged into fibre socket by mistake, which was great especially as I was given free bb for 2 consecutive years with PN. I shall log into router later and see what it says. With hindsight I should have stayed on standard with better speeds! Thanks for your help.
kerz2201
Dabbler

Hi Bill888, have logged into router and data rate is showing as 7.42 Mbps/29.87 Mbps. Does this explain the problem? Thanks again.