Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra, iPhone connection issue

rycrompton95
Hooked

Fibre extra, iPhone connection issue

Hi, new poster here!

I've been with Plusnet for over a year now and I've had this issue ever since I joined without ever having it solved.

My iPhone (and sometimes iPad) have difficulty connecting to my broadband, I have the Hub One router I think it's called, and my phone will connect to the internet without a hitch, and everything seems to be fine!

But, and without the wifi logo disappearing from the top of my phone, sometimes the wifi just won't work, and I'll have to close the app I'm using and re-open it to get it to work.

I know the 'solution' to this is to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but to be honest, I'm paying a lot for this wifi, and my other devices work better when they're connected, so I don't want to separate them! 

I've also tried changing the channel of the 2.4GHz and this also hasn't worked. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to sound privileged but as I said I don't really want to separate them again.

Thank you all in advance! 

8 REPLIES 8
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Fibre extra drops out on phone

Hi @rycrompton95

Welcome to the Forums. 

Essentially, changing the channels and splitting (then renaming the SSIDs) frequencies is the main diagnostic step when it comes to WiFi issues.

There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down.

It's likely the problem lies between your router and your devices which we don't have visibility of.

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.

I have family members on Plusnet and they don't suffer these issues, and they're on the same tariff as me.

I'm afraid that one circuit's WiFi output can not be held as yardstick for another's - due to the amount of things which can hinder a WiFi signal. 

I'd suggest giving this a go. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,
MoR

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Fibre extra, iPhone connection issue

Welcome to the forum.

Why don't you want to separate the frequency bands? Nothing stops working, you just have to select which works best with each device and use the appropriate band or set devices to automatically connect to both bands and let each select the best for itself. I think the problem only occurs when the two bands use the same SSID.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rycrompton95
Hooked

I've had them separated before and I had continual issues with the strength of the signal. When they're connected I do not have this and the download speeds are definitely faster. I don't understand why this happens to me and other family members have the same broadband but they don't have any issues. Is there a way to change the SSID without separating the signals?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

It's not clear from your posts.  When you previously split the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, did you rename the 5 GHz SSID  so  name is different to the one used on 2.4 GHz ?

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

I'm afraid no ISP will guarantee good wifi from any router they supply regardless of how much you pay.  You are really only paying for delivery of a broadband service, not for delivery of a wifi service.  

If you want better wifi, you have to buy your own replacement or additional kit and see how well it performs for your property.  Mesh wifi is growing in popularity but does not come cheap !   eg. google  'Netgear Orbi'.

Or a new/used BT Smart Hub may likely to perform better than Hub One (rebadged BT Home Hub 5A) for wifi coverage.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
rycrompton95
Hooked

Yes I have split them before, and yes I did rename the outputs with a 2 at the end of the 2.4 and a 5 at the end of the 5GHz.

If I have to split them the so be it, but I wanted to know if there was any other alternative.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

SSID can either share same name or not.

It's well known 'feature' that for IOS devices to work reliably with a Hub One (or BT Home Hub 5), the SSID must be split/renamed. Make the IOS device connect to one of the SSID and ensure to 'forget' the other SSID to stop IOS device hopping between SSIDs.

5 GHz wifi signal is considered 'better' but it has a VERY short range.  2.4 GHz wifi has longer range BUT is very susceptible to interference from neighbour's wifi (eg. buffering when watching youtube videos etc)

The only remaining alternative, is not to use Hub One's built-in wifi and look at 3rd party wifi solutions that may 'behave' better with your iphone, particularly if signal strength/coverage is the problem in a larger property, or property with thick solid internal walls. 

A BT Smart Hub bought off ebay is often a recommended inexpensive replacement over Hub One you may want to consider. It seems to offer a bit better wifi, but it will come with no product guarantee and it won't solve all wifi problems.  No complaints from the friends with BT Infinity and Smart Hubs I know who own numerous Apple products.

(No idea when Plusnet will finally retire the Hub One and offer the Smart Hub to fibre customers. Next year perhaps, who knows...)

BT Smart Hub advert (2016)   🙂

https://youtu.be/wTDb_mjti84

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This may not make any difference - but it only takes a few minutes and is something else to try.

Have you tried a soft reset on the devices? Doen't delete any data and you only need to Google your model on the key combination (it can depend now). Make sure you do a soft reset and not a hard one, as that one will delete everything.

Reason I suggest this is my older iPhone was not picking up WiFi, though this was in various public locations. So I worked out something was wrong and a soft reset fixed it.

rycrompton95
Hooked

Thank you, I understand what your saying, I just wondered if there was a way for them to remain connected instead of splitting them. But since it appears there is no other solution I guess this is what I will have to do! I've been sent another router recently so I guess I'll try that and see how it goes!