cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-N66U fibre woes

mc74
Dabbler

Re: Asus DSL-N66U fibre woes

Yeah.  It's connected via Asus WAN port to OR WAN port and set to PPPoE.
I changed the DSL modulation to 'ADSL2' on the DSL Settings screen but yeah, that's obviously not needed.  My mistake.
redbull2k14
Grafter

i think there is something that has been missed.
Id like to help maybe with teamviewer.
mc74
Dabbler

Hi Redbull.
I'd be happy to take you up on that - thanks!  I've gotta do a quick bit of work for a client and will pm you my teamviewer id.  I should be available shortly after 4pm so any time that suits you after that works for me.
taras
Grafter

yeah i'm thinking that too.
redbull2k14
Grafter

which version do you have as i will need the same one.
redbull2k14
Grafter

just sent you a private message.
tonycollinet
Grafter

PPPoE - the oE bit stands for over Ethernet, and is used when you have an external modem like the open reach one, connected by (you've guessed it) Ethernet.
If that is what you have set, it WILL NOT WORK.
taras
Grafter

if hes connecting the n66u via the or modem then yes PPPoE is needed. I would have assumed that if hes connecting via the inbuilt modem it uses (regardless of adsl/vdsl) it usses PPPoA
Haybasha
Rising Star

I had one of these around a year ago when I was on BT Infinity and it would not stay connected. Even when connected it was syncing some 6Mb lower than the HH5 (which was also useless).
I now use a ZyXel SBG3300-N which is rock solid. My advice take it back and get a refund.
markhp
Dabbler

I'd be very interested to know if you managed to resolve this.  I have a DSL-AC68U router which is currently not in use.  We had problems on our line which resulted in a BT engineer having to do a line reset.  As soon as he did this, the Asus would not connect, whereas it had been fine before.  I'd changed no router settings, and I was unable to go through the automatic discovery, encountering the same problems as you.  This is my 2nd Asus, having had the other identical model replaced due to the same problems.
redbull2k14
Grafter

we had a short window to work in, from my finding the latest firmware was installed, when i telnet'ed into router to do an nvram erase there was no nvram command. so what has to be done now is for him to use this  http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-N66U/UT_DSL_N66U_4287.zip
This file is The first version of utility for ASUS DSL-N66U inside are Utilities: Router Setup Wizard / Device Discovery / Firmware Restoration / Printer Setup.
Hopefully this will work the way it should afterwards
taras
Grafter

starting to look as if its router issues than anything else Sad
mc74
Dabbler

Hi all.  Quick update for anyone following this thread.
Redbull has been extremely helpful (including taking the time to do a teamviewer session).  He's given me a couple of extra things to try but I've been snowed under with work.  I'll try his suggestions this afternoon and update this thread with the results.
Asus support got back to me after I sent them a log file and are claiming it might be faulty batch, but in light of other users having similar problems with Asus routers, I'm not convinced.
In case I have no luck this afternoon, does anyone have any recommendations for combined router\modem around the £150 mark?  I develop streaming video software so I need something with a very stable wireless connection, NAS support, built in VPN support, easily configurable DHCP range etc.
westbusker
Grafter

Well after searching for a good solid bit of kit I went for this:
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TD-W9980#over
You can purchase from here:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/17047-tp-link-td-w9980/
It has been extremely rock solid as have the wireless side of things. I know TP Link may not be as sexy as some of the ASUS Kit but it just seems to work in my experience.
Seems to tick all your boxes apart from it's a lot cheaper than £150 but only allows VPN Passthrough, so no VPN Server that I can see.
Cheers.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

so no VPN Server that I can see.
I thought it had VPN endpoint support. Just checked the manual and it does , page 40.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.