Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working

FIXED
Foxearth

Re: VPN not working

Hi folks

I'm having the same problem. Could connect to my work VPN fine until a few days ago, now I can't. Works OK via a mobile hotspot but not via my Plusnet router, either by LAN cable or wifi. My work IT believe this is an ISP issue at my end, hence this post. I've tried rebooting and the port clamp enable tip, but neither resolved the issue.

Please can someone from Plusnet Support PM me to get my details to try the session kill fix?

Many thanks

Rob

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Rob

Sorry to see your VPN has stopped working.

I've checked things this side and I can't see any changes within the last few days. I've also checked your connection and until around 15 minutes ago, you've been on the same IP address for around 9 days. 

As you've got a different IP address now I don't think a session kill is necessary or will fix the issue. It also doesn't look like the issue is IP related as you've had the same one for 9 days and you've said the issue only started a few days ago.

Do you get any particular error when you're unable to use your VPN? What router are you using too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Foxearth

Hi Gandalf

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I turned off my router for 15 minutes and then got an IP in the 51.x.x.x range rather than the 143.x.x.x range I had before, and was then able to VPN to work fine again Smiley

For info, though, the message was an "unable to access gateway server " at my work's https server address. I am on a Plusnet Hub One.

Cheers

Rob

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Rob

Cheers for getting back to me,

It's good to see that the change in IP fixed the problem for you. Thumbs_Up

As a heads up it's not very often a reboot of the router or a disconnection will move you to a different dynamic IP address as you'd get assigned a dynamic IP from a very small pool that's specific to your location so they're quite sticky and you'd generally get the same one back

Hopefully you don't have anymore issues though but if you do feel free to yell 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bignose

Hi Guys

Ive just moved to Plusnet from Vodafone and have run into my VPN not working from midday today 

reading this thread is interesting ... so the 145.***.***.** range is blocked as its registered in the US is that correct ..???

can you make an IP static that actually lets me use my VPN for work Huh 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

is blocked as its registered in the US is that correct ..Huh

No, the IP range IS registered in the UK. The problem is that some third party geolocation providers think it's registered in the US and seem incapable of correcting their databases!

can you make an IP static that actually lets me use my VPN for work

You can request a static IP via the member centre, there's a one off charge of £5. Static  IPs are from a different range.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @bignose

You're not actually connected on the IP range mentioned above so that shouldn't be the cause of your issue.

Can you advise what error you get when you try to connect?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bignose

thanks for the info ... its seems to happen around 1:30 yesterday and today ... I have access through the morning and then have to access via my phone hot spot in the afternoon Huh

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@bignose

Good to hear it's working, let us know if you encounter any further problems. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@bignose

Ignore me, I've just re-read what you've put, sorry. So it happens at half one? It seems strange it's only sporadically occurring. Does it seem to coincide with any event, or any other usage at the time of the problem?

bignose

hi Joe ... nope at the moment I'm on a IP from the 51.**.**.*** range and my VPN is not working 

switch to my phone and it will work Huh

sebmak

Hello,

My VPN is currently not working, it worked previously when i was on standard broadband with plusnet, but since upgrading to fibre it has stopped working. I am using OpenVPN. Please help if anyone has solutions?

Regards,

Sebastian

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @sebmak,

Does it give you any particular error? Have you tried using it on a different device to see if you are getting the same issue there?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
sebmak

@Beyhive 

It connects initially, but when i want to open something up from the server, the VPN will stop working. It works perfectly fine if i were to connect my vpn through a mobile hotspot and then open something etc.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @sebmak,

Just wondering if you've tried using VPN on a different device to see if the same issue occurs?

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team