Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard won't stay enabled

FIXED
phish386
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Safeguard won't stay enabled

I am enabling Safeguard to my Fibre Broadband, and adding a website to block. The status icon on the Safeguard activation page changes Green to indicate changes saved and Safeguard is active. However when I return to Safeguard status is back to grey Off position. I have tried multiple times to switch on, but every time I return to safeguard page it is switched off again.

I am using BT Home Hub 6 router, everything else is standard. I checked DNS, it is using the correct primary DNS for safeguard. I waited overnight and no change.

Any advice?

Tags (1)
180 REPLIES 180
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Safeguard won't stay enabled

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
holmesgirl

I am also experiencing the same thing.

Tags (1)
JohnP79
Hooked

I am having the exact same issue with the exact same router! Did you manage to get it fixed in the end?

Failing that - is anyone from PlusNet reading this and can help?

Thanks,

John

Tags (1)
JohnP79
Hooked

I contacted PlusNet's helpline about this problem, and I was advised to try keeping my router switched off for an hour and a quarter after activating SafeGuard on the portal. I didn't expect it to work... and it didn't.

Another thing I tried: with my router switched off, I logged onto the portal from my smartphone using mobile data, and activated SafeGuard. On revisiting the page, again using my smartphone, I saw once again that SafeGuard had automatically and immediately been switched off again (without my router ever having been connected in order to have an effect).

PlusNet - please help!

JohnP79
Hooked

I've just phoned the helpline again, and this time I was advised that Safeguard has not been working properly for a long time, and PlusNet knows about it.

I was advised to try netnanny.com instead and they told me it was free. It turns out it's chargeable, and device-based rather than filtering the whole network - so not really what I was looking for Sad

phish386
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Tx for the update. I gave up in the end and blocked certain websites at router level and then use a VPN to get around if I want access.

uraken007

What a nonsense! sort it out Plusnet, we buy into you because you offer additional value added services and yet something as serious as safe guard doesn't work, people have children they want to to protect and yet they cannot because this doesn't work as advertised, i'll be moving very swiftly if this is not rectified ASAP!

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey all,

I'll take a look at this for all of you.  Can PM me over your usernames?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
hawmead
Grafter

Thanks Kelly, done...

JohnP79
Hooked

@Kelly wrote:

Hey all,

I'll take a look at this for all of you.  Can PM me over your usernames?

Hi Kelly - any joy?

Forumitus

When I spoke to them just now they sent these instructions - which don't make any sense!

Locate down the "Left" side - Under "Manage Account" - "Plusnet SafeGuard"

Click Here and follow the on-screen instructions to download the file.

Please Take note of the Serial Key provided - you'll need this for later on.

Open the downloaded file and select "Allow to make changes to device"

Await the installation to complete.

hawmead
Grafter

I’m with you on this one, makes no sense whatsoever.  I logged in and found ‘manage your account’ ok, but no sign of any reference to safeguard within it! And even so, why do you have to install something on the pc? Surely this is under the control of the Plusnet servers? Besides which, I’m predominantly an iPad user 😉

come on Plusnet, give us a clue, what’s going on with safeguard? This has been going on for way too long now!! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Whoever you spoke to is confusing Safeguard with Plusnet Protect https://www.plus.net/broadband/extras/online-security/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey all.

We think we know why this is happening and are working on a fix at the minute.  Will update here once we know more!

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager