cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New website location

SoulBriski
Grafter

New website location

I need to build a website for my employers who have a PlusNet Business account.
I need to transfer a domain in and build my site in PHP.
Is it worth uploading to the CCGI platform or should i go straight on to the PAYH?
10 REPLIES 10
tex
Grafter

Re: New website location

It depends if you really need php5 - I did so I made the switch. The CCGI platform uses outdated software but is more stable.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Thats interesting to hear Inspiration3
I've had my own site hosted on the CCGI platform for years and i've recently moved a copy of it over to PAYH for a trial period and i find it to offer so much more and I've not encountered any instability.
What is it that is unstable? are you referring to the platform or version 5 of PHP?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had a web site on PAYH for about 6 weeks - using php and nothing unstable about it !.
Whats unstable about Apache and php ?.
Ianwild
Grafter

Yeah, there is nothing unstable I'm aware of about the PAYH platform?
It's better than CCGI all round. I wouldn't think twice about using it for any new site.
Ian 

tex
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Yeah, there is nothing unstable I'm aware of about the PAYH platform?
In the thread New Web Hosting Preview - Details you said "1. This is a preview which is subject to some changes during the trial period." Maybe that was just a formality but since SoulBriski mentioned a business account it may be for him something worth noting.
xpcomputers
Grafter

So... I take it you mean stable as in fixed feature set... rather than stable as in dependable!
However, I would disagree with even that assessment....
There might be minor changes from the preview platform to the final release, but PlusNet have said they are committed to allowing the sites to be easily switched over. That to me means it a pretty stable feature set... (not an unstable one). The platform itself is also rock solid and up to date.
The CCGI platform on the other hand is hosted on a platform, that really is end of life in so many ways. In 6 months time (or so) it will cease to exist completely in favour of the new hosting platform based on PAYH. The minor differences between Preview & final, compared with the MAJOR differences from CCGI to PAYH final, means that I would want my website to be on the right platform from the start (which I believe to be the new platform).
I hear what inspiration3 is saying, but from that perspective, and using their terminology (in the context they used it only) I would say that the CCGI platform is the more "unstable" of the two. It is in store for radical changes (eg deletion!) and ALL websites will have to be moved over to a completely different platform methodology (the new final platform). If that isn't an unstable future, I don't know what is!!!
There is no point at all in starting a new project on the CCGI webspace!!! It would be a way of creating far more work for yourself for no gain as I can see it.
Personally I would pick the PAYH preview platform every time.
Of course, each person must decide for themselves....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you define stable as not being subject to changes or improvements Windows XP would be considered very unstable considering what happens each patch Tuesday - but that doesn't stop millions of businesses relying on it.
CCGI is stable - no fixes, no improvements. It runs an out of date totally unsupported version of php. It will be turned off in 6 months or so time requiring all sites to be re-installed on PAYH.
PAYH is reliable, hosts many live sites which it has done for a considerable time and is being kept up to date.
A no brainer I think!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SoulBriski
Grafter

Well that started a debate didn't it Smiley
Thanks to all of you for your opinions. I will host the new site on the PAYH platform which will give me the chance to explore some of the PHP 5 features and of course test the PAYH platform far more thoroughly than i have done on my test site.
I would be very surprised if there was anything at all unstable about the new platform.
xpcomputers
Grafter

If the preview platform was a trial platform and potentially buggy, then I could understand why someone wouldn't want to put their business site there yet.... but it isn't! It is a stable commercial platform already used by paying customers to host their active websites.
We are being giving accounts to access this same platform for free as a preview of what everyone will be getting in 6 months time. It is there now so we can be working on transferring our sites from CCGI and have time to be resolving any glitches the websites might have going from php4 to php5.
The only things that might change from now until the end are new features being added.... hopefully shell access being one of them. Our feedback, will help shape the final feature set, so ask if you want something that isn't there yet.
So it can only get better!
mal0z
Grafter

Well said XP,
Although it's only been on this platform for about 6 weeks now - I moved in a site using php4/5  with barely a problem.
Only problems were my finger trouble learning a new interface - and the PN support team were patient and excellent.
go for chaps