cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to get my rDNS for my static ip address to point to to my domain

securitizones

Need to get my rDNS for my static ip address to point to to my domain

Need to get my rDNS for my static ip address to point to to my domain so i can send emails from home server.

Regards

Steve

15 REPLIES 15
Jackobyte
Dabbler

Re: Need to get my rDNS for my static ip address to point to to my domain

I had to call to get a ticket raised with Plusnet about this yesterday, there doesn't appear to be any support people monitoring the community forum like there used to be.  The static IP I was given had clearly been re-issued as the PTR record has not been reset to default and points to a non-existent domain.  They said this can take up to 3 working days.

That being said your mail server hostname only needs to match the PTR record for your static IP to pass the check so if you do a reverse lookup on your static IP, then set the hostname of your mail server to whatever comes back then you will be good to go.

Jackobyte
Dabbler

@securitizones 

I've just been informed by support that Plusnet no longer support custom domains on PTR records for their static IP's

This is something that should have been communicated as their documentation and online searches indicate that this is something they continue to support.  It was one of the reasons that I chose to subscribe to Plusnet in the first place and I feel a bit disgruntled now.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Jackobyte 

there doesn't appear to be any support people monitoring the community forum like there used to be.

There are, but sometimes they can take a while to respond.

I've just been informed by support that Plusnet no longer support custom domains on PTR records for their static IP's

That's news to me! The problem is that domains, static IP's & dns are legacy facilities and many of the front line support people don't know about it.

I'll try escalating this thread to get one of the Help team to respond

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jackobyte
Dabbler

@MisterW 

The support person I spoke to was very clear, I also asked if the PTR record will be <username>.plus.com like it says on the portal and was informed in no uncertain terms that my PTR record will be <static ip>.plus.com and that this can't be changed.

Custom domains are no longer supported on new contracts like they were on legacy contracts.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Jackobyte unless something has changed in the last few days , then whoever you spoke to was mistaken!. The default has always been <accountname>.plus.com. AFAIK its still possible to request <ipaddress>.plus.com or something else providing an A record exists as the forward record.

Lets give the Help team chance to respond to my escalation...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jackobyte
Dabbler

They were very clear and were in direct contact with the Networks team - I did not request <static ip>.plus.com and actually requested that it be <username>.plus.com as in their documentation and they said, in no uncertain terms, that this is no longer the case and also that custom domains are no longer supported.

It seems in this case that you, @MisterW , have not been kept informed just like me and the rest of the UK.

Jackobyte
Dabbler

@MisterW Did you hear anything back or will someone else reply to the thread?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Jackobyte  I haven't heard anything back from the escalation. I'm going to try and rattle a cage or two...

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@Jackobyte @MisterW  - As far as we're aware, this below is still the case.

There are 3 options available:

1 - username.plus.com – This is the default setting.

2 - IP.plus.com - 1-1-1-1.plus.com as an example.

3 - anything.domain.com - e.g. mail.bbc.co.uk – To use this option you will need to configure the forward record on the domain. We are required to prove you own the domain before any changes can be made and this will serve as verification. The domain can be hosted on the account or externally.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@James30 thanks for confirming. Good to know I didn't miss anything changing...

securitizones

Hi

Can i get this changed to mail.smarterhomes4u.com  then. My forward A record is already set up for this.

Regards

Steve

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@securitizones  - Please reply to this ticket @ https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=234128673 and let me know when you have. TA

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@James30  maybe you could create a ticket for @Jackobyte  as well

securitizones

Hi

I have replied - 

Hi
yes i would like to action this and get my static ip address 80.229.234.184 pointed to my domain mail.smarterhomes4u.com

Regards

Steve