cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Member Centre Password

June1
Dabbler

Member Centre Password

I had to call Customer Service last week as I had trouble getting back online after a Service Outage. The guy was very helpful but he did ask for my password( The one I use when logging in to Member Centre and they ask for a couple of letters when you call) in full during the process. I don't use Plusnet email so should I change it? I don't really want the hassle. Secondly I have read in one thread that someone had a problem getting online after. So do I have to change it in Hub Manager as well? Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Member Centre Password

@June1 - There is no need to change the password - the agent HAS to ask for characters from your password under Data Protection Act rules to confirm it is the account holder calling, but can only 'see' those characters. There is no security risk involved. HTH

John
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@jab1 

I don't think that's strictly true, the very first time I called I couldn't remember my password and reeled of several. The agent told me part of it to remind me which one it was.

If you don't use Webmail there's little point in changing it. Besides if PN wanted to access your emails they can do that anyway. PN staff can access your webmail and delete stuff even without your permission. I had a complete folder deleted last week, I knew it was going to happen and was happy for PN to do this but they never asked my permission, they just told me it was going to happen.

jab1
Legend

@MKSlinky - Not what I was told when I queried it by PM once, but does it really matter? What are the agents going to do - mess around with your account? I doubt it.

I assume the second paragraph is aimed at the OP, because I don't use webmail.

John
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jab1

I suppose what they tell us they can see and what they actually can see are two different things, it mattered to me quite a lot the first time I was asked, aren't we always told never to reveal our passwords to anyone? I did end up reeling off several passwords to the support agent simply because he wouldn't help me otherwise. No doubt the OP was thinking the same thing hence his question. Does it matter, possibly not but like any company you get rouge employees. Personally I think it's wrong to ask a customer their password, they should have a memorable place or something different.

Yes the second paragraph was for the OP's benefit although like you the info might not be important.

jab1
Legend

@MKSlinky - Me & the OP not important? CryGrin

John
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jab1

Bah! Blind and stupid! Roll_eyes

Read it again but this time try putting your glasses on back to front, it might help you focus more clearly! Funny