cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hostopia FTP password change

decomplexity
Rising Star

Hostopia FTP password change

I have just been strengthening some passwords.
My ccgi.<username>.plus.com account  password change was straightforward
However using FTP Manager on my Hostopia space to change my FTP password wasn’t. I changed the Master FTP password (and do not have any FTP users defined in Directory FTP) and the change was accepted by FTP Manager. But client FTP access (via Dreamweaver) continues to work with the previous password and not the new one.
Any ideas pls? 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hostopia FTP password change

You changed the password here, yes?

Did you make sure you had the ccgi.<username>.plus.com domain selected from the management drop-down before you opened the FTP Manager? Remember, most applications have their own instances under each domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

decomplexity
Rising Star

Tnx Bob
Yes - updated via the Master FTP Set and Confirm
I have redone the change and it now appears to have taken effect.
As far as I know I had my ccgi.<username>.plus.com domain selected from Manage Websites  - but hey. A mystery.
Experimenting with it now does show that it is possible to go from the Control Panel Home page direct to FTP Manager (i,e. without going via Manage Websites with a selection from 'Currently Managing'). Since it is then possible to do a  Master FTP password Set and Confirm, it is interesting to guess what password is then actually changed.
Finally your comment "Remember, most applications have their own instances under each domain" throws me (a person of Small Brain) a bit: the implication is that a changed password is lodged somehow with the password changing application and not the with domain itselt. Perhaps you could elaborate.
Tnx   

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: decomplexity
Finally your comment "Remember, most applications have their own instances under each domain" throws me (a person of Small Brain) a bit: the implication is that a changed password is lodged somehow with the password changing application and not the with domain itselt. Perhaps you could elaborate.

There's an FTP manager for each domain you have listed.
e.g.
select 'domain.com' from the management drop-down, open the FTP Manager and then set a master password - 'password1'
select 'username.plus.com' from the management drop-down, open the FTP Manager and then set a master password - 'password2'
This effectively gives you two sets of login credentials that can be used to access your webspace:
user: domain.com
passwd: password1
user: username.plus.com
passwd: password2

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵