Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontpage access disabled 28/08

AndyBude
Dabbler

Re: Frontpage access disabled 28/08

Bob
I've asked for access to my pages and what I got was a Zipped acrchive of all the content on my FP site copied over to my XXX.plus.com space.  As I understaood your guidance what I needed to do was to access the FP site and use frontpage to transfer all the content across to the homepage server - this from a brief glance at the guidance whilst waiting for access to the server.  I asked what I'm supposed to do with the zipped file I've got on Monday (29984777) but no response as yet.
Yes I'm not overly techy and went with Frontpage because a) it's easy, b) it was there and c) I had a copy of frontpage anyway - but I'm not entirely stupid either - some simple, (but complete) guidance would be good and I echo the comments made about customer service in general - try raising a ticket with more than one question in it sometime.
AndyBude
Dabbler

Oh and I've not had an e-mail from you about the demise of Frontpage yet either
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Download the zip file to your PC, create an empty directory and extract the zip to that directory. Make any changes to the pages as needed (e.g. links if you've absolute paths to fp.username.plus.com) and then use any FTP program to upload the entire structure to homepages.
If you've used Frontpage extensions you could also upload the entire structure to another hosting provider who still supports them (if you can find one!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aaronbennett
Dabbler

AndyBude: I first answered your ticket yesterday and see your reply, and I'm here to support you through the process (on the ticket). I feel your initial queries were answered but now that you have highlighted a need for additional assistance ... no problem.
davesm

Dear Bob
The fact is, I, like potentially many people out there, have a website in commercial use at one of your Frontpage Sites.
It shows my availability / unavailability to my clients, and I am losing work now as this site cannot be updat3ed.
I have been doble booked and missed work because people think I'm available when I'm not, and not available when I am.
I need to be able to redirect them away from that site so for God's sake at least open it up so we can replace the index pages.
I don't care whether Frontpage dies a death or not but it's been weeks now since this occurred and it is criminal to keep displaying out of date information when we're paying you for the service.
Now open up those websites and let us at least direct people away from redundant data, I think you may well be committing a criminal act there if you carry on like this.
Best Regards
davesm@davesm.plus.com
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
AndyBude
Dabbler

Aaron/Bob  - I'd like to retract my comments about CS - the work Aaron has done for me so far is far beyond what I would have hoped for.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: AndyBude
Oh and I've not had an e-mail from you about the demise of Frontpage yet either

The final batch of emails are queued to be sent at 4.00pm this afternoon. Sorry about the delay, we had a few problems with our mass mailer earlier in the week Sad
Quote from: jelv
Download the zip file to your PC, create an empty directory and extract the zip to that directory. Make any changes to the pages as needed (e.g. links if you've absolute paths to fp.username.plus.com) and then use any FTP program to upload the entire structure to homepages.

Worth noting that you can probably open the directory as a new site in FrontPage and upload it to the Homepages server that way using FTP.
@AndyBude, what version of FrontPage do you have? (I'm hoping you have 2003 then I might be able to give you some step by step instructions).
Quote from: davesm
The fact is, I, like potentially many people out there, have a website in commercial use at one of your Frontpage Sites.
It shows my availability / unavailability to my clients, and I am losing work now as this site cannot be updat3ed.
I have been doble booked and missed work because people think I'm available when I'm not, and not available when I am.
I need to be able to redirect them away from that site so for God's sake at least open it up so we can replace the index pages.

Sorry about the hassle. If you upload the necessary index pages to the Homepages servers and raise a ticket here requesting it then we can replace your index pages for you.
Now open up those websites and let us at least direct people away from redundant data, I think you may well be committing a criminal act there if you carry on like this.

I don't think there's any question about the legality of what we're doing to be honest. Having said that I'm sure more questions would be raised if we opened up access to the platform and the security vulnerability I've cited led to a load of customer data getting compromised?
Quote from: AndyBude
Aaron/Bob  - I'd like to retract my comments about CS - the work Aaron has done for me so far is far beyond what I would have hoped for.

Glad to hear it, Aaron's a top chap! If you do need me to do anything at any point though then feel free to give me a nudge.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you've (a) got a copy of your Frontpage website ready for uploading elsewhere and (b) it would be better if your clients got a 404 error than duff info why don't you just deactivate FP? When your new website is up you could email them the new address.
remmington

Well Bob...  I did tell you it was going to be difficult managing an issue like this...  Good luck...!
hulls
Grafter

Just got my email about this yesterday.  I supposde I'll just remove the search and counter stuff and move it back to the main site.  Not so much of a problem for me, at least I don't rely on it for my business!
John
Pazzer1

I'm in a similar position but would have liked the chance to update the existing site in the meantime. I've read all the posts and followed the links but not been offered temporary access as expected, only a list of files which PN would copy back to me.
The final judgement seems to be one of neglect waiting for a threat for which it was known that no treatment would be possible. A wasted three years.
bourtonvale

Have followed Bob Pullen's article dated 11th Sept about moving my Frontpage website to the Homepage server and I can still only see my old website.   Do I have to deactivate the frontpage extensions option.  I uploaded it to the homepage server at http://bourtonvale.plus.com  and want my registered domain name www.bvec.co.uk to go to redirect to that website version now.  I am not very website literate and have used Frontpage just because it seemed to be novice friendly.    I will upgrade to Microsoft Expression when feeling braver but just want to keep website active at the moment and want to ensure a web presence after the frontpage server is switched off in early October.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Try http://www.bourtonvale.plus.com ...and you might have more success Wink
bourtonvale

Sorry about typo.  I meant http://www.bourtonvale.plus.com ; and it did not work.  Any other ideas.  If not I will raise a support ticket on Monday.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Screenshot after clicking the link in your post attached.