Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP news

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

FTTP news

A news article that popped up on my feed says Plusnet is going to start offering FTTP later this year.  Anyone else aware of this?

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: FTTP news

Yep.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Been mentioned many times of late. Case of waiting / watching for further details. And of course, only good if you have FTTP in the area supplied by OR.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Mine was one of the areas included in the trial.  It says "Available in some areas" for my exchange

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I spoke with an adviser a couple of days ago and he also said that this is coming in, he didn't say when but he did say it would be sometime soon.

I called to see about renewing my contract which I've yet to follow up on due to the situation they gave me (see this thread: here) as the work has been done in my area and I don't want to be tied to a two year contract not being able to upgrade (which is what they told me at the time).

As @jab1 said in a previous thread, they are going to have to if they are to continue as an ISP as this is the progression of broadband now and you'll be surprised how fast this will be needed. The UK are already playing catch up as we're 81st behind in Europe for FTTP and 41st in the world for broadband speed (some of the copper wires are 100 years old believe it or not), so it really is going to have to be a thing at some point.

I mean, I know it's a while away yet but imagine an ISP only offering dial up, it just wouldn't work because things don't work on dial up now like they did back when dial up was a thing so they need to progress together really.

Plus we'll have a much more stable and solid connection with FTTP as opposed to the copper wires where often faults occur and this isn't even the fault of the ISP's as it's the infrastructure we're on.

I'm just really glad we're all getting this now and I hope there's not people left out in regards to this as it would be unfair. 

machare
Rising Star

Will all discussion about FTTP in the future be in 'Everything Else'?  I am curious to know what telephone service they will provide and how this will work.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Don't see why not - can't really see anywhere else it can go. I would imagine the phone service will be VoIP, delivered the way it is now.

John
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I originally posted in the section called "Fibre" as the post is about fibre.  I guess they need to change the name of that forum section to "FTTC" if they want it specific.

Regarding voip, does it use standalone handsets if you want, or do you have to use a headset with a PC and can I get rid of the RJ45 to RJ11 adapter thingies I currently use for landline voice calls?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@IngeJones wrote:

I originally posted in the section called "Fibre" as the post is about fibre.  I guess they need to change the name of that forum section to "FTTC" if they want it specific.

Which IMO is what it should have been called from the beginning - either that or "VDSL".  Roll_eyes

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

It would be a good idea to create a section for 'FTTP' in the forum, as this is a thing coming in soon there's going to be a lot of discussion and questions about it so maybe an 'FTTP' section here would be a good idea.

I did notice myself when trying to find info about FTTP the other day it was quite hard to find as it was pretty scattered in the search and with threads opening that had been moved etc. it would also help for people just generally browsing.

I'm not sure what you're allowed to link here but I'm guessing you've seen the article's about this also, they also said it's likely it will be accompanied by a new router, possibly a re-brand of BT's Smart Hub 2 though I think that's just speculation at the moment so will have to see 😊

I don't know what the BT Smart Hub 2 is like as I've never used it personally but I've heard it's pretty good.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@robbieglover2k wrote:

It would be a good idea to create a section for 'FTTP' in the forum, as this is a thing coming in soon there's going to be a lot of discussion and questions about it so maybe an 'FTTP' section here would be a good idea.

I did notice myself when trying to find info about FTTP the other day it was quite hard to find as it was pretty scattered in the search and with threads opening that had been moved etc. it would also help for people just generally browsing.

I agree @robbieglover2k 

In the past FTTP related topics have mainly been in the Fibre To The Premises trial section of the forum, but I guess with the trial being closed to new entrants that is less significant than it was, although it's still officially the first port of call for FTTP trialists to go for support etc..

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I think they closed that in 2018 if I'm not mistaken as one of the reports about it coming this year were saying how people thought we might have been one of the first to get it when it came out but it's coming a little later which I'm ok with. I wanted to make sure this was ok to move to FTTP when I renewed my contract the other day and the adviser kindly sent me an email to confirm that it's coming soon and that I will be able to move onto it at any point during my contract free of charge, which was really important for me before going into the new contract so I'm really happy about that.

Apparently we should have it available by the end of the year, however they do need to look at the packages and prices compared to BT and EE to keep their budget brand going so I'm sure they'll do the best with that as that's what's been their biggest selling point, the fact they don't overcharge on these things is what makes them the best for many people (and will continue to as they grow).

In fact, speaking of that I can see Plusnet getting even bigger once this comes in as when people find out about Plusnet offering it at a much better more reasonable price, they're going to flock to Plusnet and they'll be smashing it due to the amount of potential custom that will come for this as it's not going to be long until everyone is going for FTTP as they phase out the old infrastructure.

I'm looking forward to it, it's not just a speed thing but the stability of this is so much better. As I was saying earlier some of those copper wires are 100 years old believe it or not and we really shouldn't be using those things now, this is often where a lot of problems occur and its not even the fault of the ISP's. It's about time to be honest and maybe we can catch up again and not be lagging behind most of the other countries now lol

grahamt
Rising Star

Estimates of when FTTP deals will be offered by Plusnet range from "later than the summer" (the official Plusnet response to an ISPReview article) to "not until 2022" (some users in other threads).

It will probably come too late for me. If there's no offer by the time my contract ends in August I'll be leaving (after having been with PN since 2008). Fortunately, I can afford to pay a bit more than I'm paying now, so I'll be looking for quality.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just to add to this in regards to the potential router, has anybody ever used the BT Smart Hub 2 before?

Obviously this is just speculation but as one report was saying it's likely to be accompanied by a new router, possibly a re-brand of BT's Smart Hub 2.

BT Smart Hub 2BT Smart Hub 2

Is it just me but I actually prefer the Plusnet routers to the BT one's looks wise, I think they look really nice. It's be interesting to see what this would look like with the Plusnet style.

Again this is just speculation that it'll be a re-brand of this router with BT having the Smart Hub 3 launch in the near future and it's a good way of re-using their stock but it would be interesting to see 😊