cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP installed and commissioned, but PN don't offer VoIP

RRM
Rising Star

FTTP installed and commissioned, but PN don't offer VoIP

So, after 3 years of waiting post cabling and CBT's being installed the contractors have finally been back and completed the work for the remainder of our estate 😀  I had more or less given up ever seeing them again until 2025 so renewed my contract end of November 2023. Openreach gave me 3 dates from 2021, all of which elapsed, so lost faith in them ever delivering as promised for end of April 2024.

Now here is the dilemma, I will want to upgrade to FTTP asap, we only get 33-37Mbps down and 4-5mbps up, but our landline is important to us, happy to move to VoIP as long as we don't lose the number, but PN don't offer VoIP so no direct upgrade path.

Can move to BT and PN will void the termination fee on my contract, but BT are more expensive than many other major providers, especially when you add VoIP to the equation. In one case, it is still cheaper for me to pay the termination fee to PN and move to another provider offering VoIP as part of the deal.

So annoyed that PN don't have VoIP and their offering for existing customers upgrading from FTTC with phone is not very good compared to some other large players who include VoIP and potentially a better router for similar or less money. PN need to make the deal better if they are not including VoIP!

Has anyone got any experience of staying with PN for FTTP and porting their number to a VoIP provider? or Should I bite the bullet and move lock stock and barrel to Voda?

I read something about right to port, but can't find any definitive articles on it and whether it has been ratified, Knowing my number would be safe for 30 days would give me some assurance.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: FTTP installed and commissioned, but PN don't offer VoIP

I would start with this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/change-over/m-p/1936776#M37845 and ones linked in it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@RRM It's not an exact parallel but pretty close as I wanted to keep my landline number during a migration.

I was moving from ADSL to FTTC, not (as I presume you are considering) FTTC to FTTP.

BUT for that migration you will need a new connection installing. Which is what I decided to do, even though in my case both old and new connections were by copper cable at my house. You will have copper cable at present and move to fibre.

I ordered a new line, had it installed, up and working before migrating the landline (to A&A). It all worked out fine.

In my case my old contract was split between BT (landline) and Plusnet (ADSL) though both were "out of contract" so no termination penalties. As it wasn't a migration Plusnet charged me a £50 installation fee for the new line, which was fine given the other benefits. Once the new link was working I first cancelled the Plusnet ADSL contract (which they actioned the same day as they knew about my new line) and then requested the landline migration via A&A. That happened within a week and cancelled the BT line. 

So, you could do something similar providing your contract allows it. If you're mid-contract it might need some "negotiation" though....

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@RRM 

We don't hear much nowadys of ports failing though it can happen. The key is not to start the port until your FTTP installation is up an running, then port ASAP. The number is "Held" for 30 days so if you do port and there's a problem you have time to sort it out.

A&A have a good reputation for knowing what they're doing on this forum. You can set your account up in advance and then port when ready. This gives you a cahnce to ensure your phone(s) work with VOIP. The initial port may fail as A&A systems can't handle a "ceased" number (as with other providers) but they are happy to then phone and arrange a manual port.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

If you want to stay with PN then you'll need to do this and hope for the best.

Brian

RRM
Rising Star

Thanks everyone, looked over those threads last night.

Think my only option is going to be to stay with PN and upgrade to their FTTP offering, noticed they changed pricing recently, still slightly more than Vodafone as they provide VoIP in their deal, but I avoid the cancellation fee.

Spoke to PN CS this morning, they said, they cannot guarantee that my landline number will be held for 30 days and seemed more keen for me to move to BT, but after further discussion and clarification. I think I have a plan.

1.Upgrade to FTTP, Once OR database has caught up

2. Wait for FTTP to be installed and the order VoIP with A & A

Think that should work.

R

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@RRM that's a good plan and SHOULD work.

Only thing I'd say , is as @bmc says, open the A & A account in advance with a temporary number ( It'll only cost ~ £1.4/mnth ). That gives you chance to setup your voip equipment and then as soon as the FTTP is installed you can port your landline number and replace the temporary one. A & A are probably more likely to assist with any porting issues on an already active account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@RRM 

The support staff are wrong - it's an OFCOM requirement for the number to be help. Hopefully a staff member will pick up on this and comment.

If A&A is your choice set up the account before so you know VOIP works. Have a good look at their FAQ's, especially in relation to power cuts. You need back up power for the ONT, router and telephone adapter to use VOIP during a cut.

If you use house extensions try and get the installer to leave the Master Socket in place with the incoming copper cable disconnected. Otherwise you'll have a bit of work to do to set things up.

Do let us know how things go in relation to the number port.

Brian

RRM
Rising Star

Orders in for FTTP with PN. Install planned 11/04/2024.
Setup account with A&A ready.
I already have a UPS in the loft with all my networking kit and that’s where my master socket is.

bmc
Hero

@RRM 

Do let us know how the number port goes.

Brian

RRM
Rising Star

Hi all,

Just a quick update.
PN did not send my FTTP router, so someone in CS is sorting that out.
I’ve setup a temporary number with A&A as advised and then setup 3CX (free account) to work with it. Setup the 3CX app on our mobile phones and hey presto working landline on our mobiles Smiley
RRM
Rising Star

FTTP all installed and working.
PN didn’t send new router, my FTTC router has the required port. Although I have now moved to a TPLink ER605 instead.

Migration of landline number requested via A&A, 11/04/24 port approved and completed 18/04/24. No issues at all.

Updated all my settings in 3CX cloud, all worked.

Set Grandstream HT701 with A&A which is also working and all phones + burglar alarm dialler working perfectly.

Hope that helps someone else.
R