cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed IPAddress with host name showing most of my name! Change to Anonymised Hostname Request

Kit1

Fixed IPAddress with host name showing most of my name! Change to Anonymised Hostname Request

I have a fixed IP Address which I require, and need to retain.  When I joined Plusnet I was unaware that my username / hostname would be based on my initials and surname.  However, anyone using reverse DNS sites (of which there are many) can very easily see that the IP Address is associated with my username from which it is easy to work out my full name.

I understand that it is possible to have my hostname anonymised so it would be seen via rDNS as 

myIPAddress@plusdsl.net

Please would a Plusnet representative confirm that this is possible and arrange for it to be carried out.  I assume that there would be no break in internet provision.

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Re: Fixed IPAddress with host name showing most of my name! Change to Anonymised Hostname Request

@Kit1 it is possible and i'm sure one of the plusnet help team staff will be along shortly to arrange it.

though its not quite as you believed, it will appear as <ip address>.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kit1

Re: Fixed IPAddress with host name showing most of my name! Change to Anonymised Hostname Request

Many thanks for the response and pleased it can be done!

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Hey there @Kit1 it took me some time but I returned from my adventures. Please can you reply to https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=238550027 and then I will sort it for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
S12345

I have just got off the phone with Plusnet who categorically state that it is not possible to change my hostname. I am now confused as to the correct answer. I have to say the person on the phone couldn't really give me a detailed explanation as to why it was not possible, just that it is not.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@S12345 You were given wrong information - hopefully one of the Help team will pick this up and raise a ticket to achieve what you want.

John
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi @S12345 

I've raised a ticket on your account regarding this

If you can respond to it we'll get that picked up for you 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team