cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't FTP after moving

Bonjour

Can't FTP after moving

Hi
I was a happy Plusnet broadband customer but had to downgrade to dial-up in order to retain my domain & email facility when I moved to France earlier this year. Since then I have not been able to FTP to my site - I have tried thru Dreamweaver, OS 10.4 Finder and Firefox, but nothing works. I am able to FTP to other (non-plusnet hosted) sites without problems (as a web designer I have quite a few to access).
The error message is the usual "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. Your login or password is incorrect. Please check your connection information". The login and password have been re-entered double-checked etc - it's not that. Unless by downgrading this has affected my login details - or perhaps it's still expecting me to access FTP using my old UK BT telephone number. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Can't FTP after moving

Unfortunately our webspace servers don't allow FTP access from non-Plusnet IP addresses if you are on a non-subscription account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Correction... It is only the ccgi server which is restricted to PN IPs. The homepages (www) web server is accessible from any connection.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Non-subscription accounts can't FTP to the homepages servers either if they are not connected on a Plusnet IP.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Ah sorry, I understand what you mean now  Embarrassed
Bonjour

Have you lot finished fighting amongst yourselves???
This is extremely disappointing as I was reassured that nothing was going to change in terms of my domain/email when I downgraded (that was why I kept the domain/email) - I was expecting full functionality. What's the point of a website that I can't update? Please can you advise if there is any way of accessing my webspace.
Ta.
dusty_bin
Grafter

I guess the obvious way is to use PN dial-up that will give you a PN IP and the ability to upload.  Otherwise it sounds like you would have to find a way to transfer the stuf via someone who has PN BB?