cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

djones
Dabbler

Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I am looking for a replacement ISP, after the Post Office "upgraded to fibre", told me I could continue to use my own modem, and then, when it turned out that the internet connection to my modem stopped working on "upgrade day", leaving me with no internet on my landline, in effect they refused to tell me what settings I needed to change. PlusNet is on my shortlist.  I have a few quick questions.

1. Can I use my own modem with a Plusnet broadband account? I don't actually need a router, because the only devices I connect to my modem are my laptop (by Ethernet or wifi) and occasionally my smartphone (by wifi - see q2). I would like to use all my own equipment - which is to say, modem, ADSL filter (line splitter), and cables. Is this straightforward with Plusnet? I.e. will they tell me the settings I need to configure? I don't need handholdy detailed help with "click here, click there". If they tell me the settings I will be able to configure them on my modem just fine. I have a TP-Link modem, not some totally obscure one, and it hardly takes long to scroll through all the settings.

Assuming the answer to q1 is yes, then...

2. Is it straightforward to use a smartphone (for data and calls) connected to a modem by wifi with a Plusnet account? The reason I need this is because I live in a remote area of Britain where usually the mobile phone signal is rubbish or non-existent, at least in my house. (It's mostly OK if I drive half a mile down the road, or sometimes if I sit in the car outside, as I'm doing now - you get the picture.)

3. How long for changeover, normally?

4. Is there an easy way to find a reliable estimate for the average downstream bandwith I could expect at my address or postcode? I don't meed much. 6Mbaud downstream would be fine. Any recommendations given this?

A big thank you to anyone helps with any of this!

Best regards,

David

24 REPLIES 24
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

@djones 

Not sure I fully understand your questions but PlusNet have always been happy for you to use your own equipment. See here for settings

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

djones
Dabbler

Re: Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

Many thanks for this, @bmc. This is looking good. It's nice to learn of an ISP that gets this right.

Can you tell me where I was less than clear in my post. I will try to improve it.

D

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

A couple of pointers@

1. You will need a modem and router or combined device to give an ethernet and WiFi connection - also need to know which type, ADSL only works on ADSL, but VDSL or FTTC will work on both.

2. Yes, but you will need a mobile provider that does WiFi calling - not something PN does.

3. A minimum of 10 days as per OFCOM rules, ibut can be longer due to Openreach availability.

4. Put your address into the BTW DSL checker - if it iis a BT/PN/EE phone number use that, but not sure the Post Office will work

djones
Dabbler

Thanks, @Mustrum. My modem is also a router in the sense that it can output to ethernet (x4) as well as wifi. But... it's described on the box as an ADSL device, and my filter/line-splitter is also described as ADSL, so does this mean that if I sign up with PlusNet I will need to get an ADSL contract and not a "fibre" one?

(I'm not sure how to parse this: "ADSL only works on ADSL, but VDSL or FTTC will work on both". Does that mean that an ADSL contract will only work on an ADSL modem, or that an ADSL modem will only work with an ADSL contract?)

I typed my (Post Office) landline number into that checker, and it gave a max observed downstream bandwidth with ADSL of 8.1 Mbaud, and with "impacted" VDSL a range of 46-48, but 8 would be ample for my needs.

10 days is a long time! Argh! At the moment I have no connection because of Post Office incompetence.

Thanks again.

D

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What modem/router do you have?

it may help if you can post its name/model number / specs

As a rough guide

ADSL will work on older ADSL products and ADSL 2+ lines, however speeds will/may be limited

ADSL2/2+ will only get you older ADSL speeds - but they should be full speed

VDSL or FTTC should work with ADSL and ADSL2+ as well plus get you full speed

the microfilters are all the same

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@djones What model is your 'modem' - which I suspect is a combined modem/router, anyway?

John
djones
Dabbler

It's a TP-Link modem/router, model number TD-W8968.

jab1
Legend

That is ADSL only, but will work with Plusnet - all the details you need are available on the site. IMHO, you would be better going for a VDSL contract - PN will supply a Hub with the order if you request one when placing the order.

John
djones
Dabbler

Thanks. Have you got link to a PlusNet page showing my options if I use my existing modem/router?

When I select "All broadband deals", only "Unlimited Fibre" and "Unlimited Fibre Extra" are showing up.

jab1
Legend

https://www.plus.net/broadband/, but I I would strongly suggest you went for a Fibre option. The ADSL option uses very old technology, and, I suspect, will disappear very soon.

Can you post a screenshot of this link - BT Broadband , obscuring your phone number?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@jab1  going for fibre is not a good idea, that is why the OP's Post Office line is not working - they upgraded to fibre and wonders why it won;t work with an ADSL router.

@djones  why don;t you get the Post Office to put you back to ADSL? Especially if 8Mbps is enough for your needs.

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum I see your point - typical Post Office foul-up, but surely the OP would be better going for VDSL if they could get it, even if it meant using a different hub?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@jab1  the OP has stated they only need 8Mbps, so rather than start a new contract or have to pay the PO termination charges it may be best staying where they are and reverting to ADSL. 
It will still be around until FTTP is available.

jab1
Legend

OK @Mustrum , I obviously misread the original post - will crawl back into my hole. 😀

John