Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport 200% increase

TheJayBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

BT Sport 200% increase

Having just had an above inflation increase for my broadband, PlusNet have now informed me that BT Sport is effectively going up by 200%.

I'm currently paying £10 a month to PlusNet.  From July PlusNet is no longer selling BT Sport so, to get the same service as now, I'm going to have to pay BT £29.99 a month.

Shocked

20 REPLIES 20
HB1

Re: BT Sport 200% increase

I have had the same notification this morning. What an absolute joke. I only renewed my contract in February, they must of known this was going to happen. If it was for a new contract/customer I get it but for those who  already have the service it should be honored until the end of that contract. but I suppose Plusnet siting its a rolling 30 day contract they get out of it.

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Me too. I've been paying £12.49 a month and renewed with Plusnet 5 months ago on an 18 month contract, partly on the strength that the BT Sport has been good value. I'm now stuck with Plusnet for over a year whereas I would probably have looked seriously at broadband with BT when I was renewing.

In addition, it seems the proposed 1 month contract does not allow viewing on my Sky Q box.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with all of this.

Annie
prolific8

Yeah I'm livid about this. Like you I signed up again in February because the BT Sport package on my Sky box was really good value. If I'd known (like they almost certainly did) that they'd be removing it I would have looked elsewhere. 

Really poor from Plusnet.

TheJayBee
Rising Star

With the removal of BT Sport, I no longer have any loyalty to PlusNet (they certainly haven’t shown any loyalty to me). I’ll definitely be shopping around when my current deal ends.
jammy901
Hooked

Same situation here after re-signing up in January 23 and paying £10 for BT Sport app. 

Since the sport contract is monthly Plusnet seemingly has no obligation to help, but some sort of mitigation of the £29.99 BT monthly fee really should be considered by Plusnet, or even the ability to terminate the broadband early.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

In one respect it's not PN's fault - the BT Group sold BT Sport a while back and the new owners are starting to implement changes. The BT Sport app is going and the channel will be on Paramount+

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

It's Discovery+ and BT Sport is rolling into the TNT brand Smiley
So it's BT Sport / Eurosport and Discovery+.

Iirc they also have rights to the live broadcast of the Olympics.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheJayBee
Rising Star

I already get Discovery+ for free so it has zero value for me.
dhleslie
Hooked

Same for me. I was annoyed at the latest price increase, but at least I knew I had renewed my contract in full knowledge that broadband price could be increased. Went ahead with what was otherwise uncompetitive, only because of attractive price of bt sport. Still a year to run, grrr. I'll re-read the contract carefully, but no doubt they planned for this eventuality long ago.

dhleslie
Hooked

So how long ago was BT sport sold? Is there a case for misspelling[I typed mis-selling, not a misspelling!], as it certainly wasn't mentioned to me when I renewed

killaypirate

As many people as possible should simply let cancellation go ahead , not take out a monthly pass and wait for offers. Already had discovery+ so will wait until I get a decent offer.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@dhleslie 

I believe BT Sport is an "Add On" and therefore not part of your contract.

I found this from February while looking at things.

https://www.bt.com/sport/features/TNT-Sports-new-name-for-BT-Sport

Brian

steedie1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Like many others I renewed primarily because of BT sport I am now left with 21 months left on my contract.

I am certainly not happy but what I do not understand is that, had I been with BT I could still get sport, But is Plusnet not a subsidiary of BT so bemused as to why they are not offering TNT sport as an add on like BT.  

I will certainly be looking to change once my contract has finished.

dhleslie
Hooked

@bmc thanks! I note JV formed 1 Sept 2022 - and a JV to boot, not a sale as such. So I'll continue checking