cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Line

Ballz
Dabbler

2nd Line

I am considering a 2nd line to my property, I have a few questions regarding it.

Would they install a completely new line if required?

I was told I have NO spare pairs on my current line quite a few years ago after a fault and the spares were used.

I do not want my current line touching in any way, its brilliant since my last fault was fixed, 76/20. I am hoping for another line pretty much the same speed. If they did manage to use some other pairs in my line and I was misinformed, would this add noise to my current line and therefore lower the current stats?

9 REPLIES 9
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 2nd Line

A second line usually isn't and issue.

When you say "no spares" do you mean at the pole/underground feed (DP)? Usually a single pair dropwire is used to link you to the DP. If it's underground fed, you may be struggling unless this is ducted, as dig work might be required.
Ballz
Dabbler

Im pretty sure, without looking the cable comes from the pole to the top of my house, down the front wall and into the master socket. I had a fault around 10 years ago and the engineer came out and I remember him saying that in the cable was 4? cores, 2 were used for my line leaving 2 spares. He switched to the new pair when I had a line fault so the 2 original cables are disconnected. 

Hope that makes sense.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Perfect sense, so in that case, it should be relatively straightforward. Maybe ask the engineer to install a "dropwire 15" it has 4 pairs (8 cables) to save having 2 dropwire up at the premises.
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

As you have an internet connection why not use VoIP?  It costs nothing to take a look: https://www.voipcheap.com/ or https://www.localphone.com/ I use both and I'm very happy with the results.  It costs me around 20 euro per year on VoIP Cheap and 75p per month for an 01603 number with Local Phone for the incoming number.  I call UK, US, Australia and a few countries in and around Europe.  There is also an app for Android (Linphone) so I can use it on my mobile with a data connection or Wi-Fi too.  I bought a GrandStream GXP1400 off eBay for £30, programmed it up and I'm saving around £400 per year in line rental and call costs.  I haven't counted the broadband connection cost in the calculations because I would need that anyway.  For me and my usage patterns, it's a no-brainer.  Cheesy

Live long and prosper!
Ballz
Dabbler

I want a 2nd line purely for a 2nd internet connection to dedicate to a specific task and server. Not interested in a phone. Cheesy

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Ballz ,

Thanks for your post.

If you're looking for a new line, I'd recommend calling the sales team on 0800 432 0080 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00
Current call queue: 00:00

There will more than likely be a charge of £50 to install the new line but I'd certainly recommend speaking with them to see what we can do for you.

Ballz
Dabbler

When that time comes it will definitely be a plusnet order. I might even refer myself. LOL

I just want to make sure the current line wont get touched or impacted before I order.

Ballz
Dabbler

Come to think of it, openreach need to get a move on allowing providers to provision pure broadband lines with no voice. It would be so much better.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

When that time comes it will definitely be a plusnet order. 

Glad to hear that Thumbs_Up

I might even refer myself. 

I've known people to do that. Tongue

I just want to make sure the current line wont get touched or impacted before I order.

It may affect your fibre speeds or it may not. It's difficult to say until the other line is installed. 

openreach need to get a move on allowing providers to provision pure broadband lines with no voice. It would be so much better.

That would be fibre to the premises, and they are in the process of rolling it out to certain parts of the country.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet