Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autoturn decommision and *.plus.com domains

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: autoturn decommision and *.plus.com domains

I'm still waiting for someone from PN to explain how we're supposed to take control of our MX records so we can add a backup MX server record.
In the FAQ you helpfully state:
Please note that you will not be able to use a third party backup MX service with your plus.com, free-online.co.uk or force9.co.uk addresses because we don’t allow you to manually alter the DNS information for these ‘virtual domains’

So can you explain just what we are supposed to do?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: dusty_bin
Here are some selected MX results:

myadslhost.plus.com. 86400 IN MX 20 mx.last.plus.net.
myadslhost.plus.com. 86400 IN MX 10 mx.core.plus.net.
mydialuphost.plus.com. 86011 IN MX 20 mx-ironport.last.plus.net.
mydialuphost.plus.com. 86011 IN MX 10 mx-ironport.core.plus.net.
myhosteddomain.org.uk. 14326 IN MX 10 autoturn.plus.net.uk.
myhosteddomain.org.uk. 14326 IN MX 20 mx.last.plus.net.
myhosteddomain.org.uk. 14326 IN MX 5 mail.myhosteddomain.org.uk.

1. If mx.last is dissappearing, what happens to mail to myadslhost after this proposed change?

Nothing. Mail gets delivered to the primary mail exchanger as it always should. For the record the 'core' and the 'last' entries point to exactly the same cluster of servers anyway.
2. What's the difference between mx.last and mx-ironport.last?

mx.last relates to our 'inmx' servers. These are the delivery servers that sit behind the IronPort antispam appliances (which is what mx-ironport.last refers to).
3. If this extremely unwelcome action goes ahead, would one solution be that I could I use the PN email MX entries and just preceed them with the MX entry for mail.myhosteddomain?

Interesting question, and one I'll have to get clarification on. My instinct is that our servers won't relay any mail as your domain/mailboxes won't have LDAP entries.
Of course the main reason for wanting to avoid POP3 and the PN email system is that I loose control over which mail is bounced during the SMTP dialogue.  I don't remember if Plusnet provides the envelope with POP3 delivery - I need to check that too.

Currently with POP3 enabled and spam filtering disabled, we don't reject any mail at the SMTP level. Your mail bypasses the IronPorts and goes directly via the inmx's (as per the first pair of MX records above)
Why not just cancel this whole proposal and avoid this problem? - please....

I'm sorry, but I can't see that happening Sad
Quote from: SteveA
In the FAQ you helpfully state:
Please note that you will not be able to use a third party backup MX service with your plus.com, free-online.co.uk or force9.co.uk addresses because we don’t allow you to manually alter the DNS information for these ‘virtual domains’

So can you explain just what we are supposed to do?

I'm not sure what further I can add to that tbh? All you can really do is switch to POP3 mail delivery if it presents a problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Chris3005
Grafter

I run a server on my Plusnet broadband and point several .co.uk domains to it, as well as my user.plus.com, which I hardly use. I've been wondering for a while whether a backup MX was worth it, as my server was only ever down for short periods, and not using a backup would mean I could try things like greylisting.
However, recently I've had a couple of occasions when my broadband has been down for 3 or 4 days, and another when my server crashed 2 days into a week away. I'm only aware of one email that wasn't delivered, but there may have been more. So I'm wondering how much I will miss autoturn.
If my server is down for any reason and looks like staying down for a day or three, can I raise a ticket and get my domains moved from SMPT to POP3? How long would it take? Would it make a difference whether the failure was on my system or the Plusnet service?
Chris
itsme
Grafter

For your .co.uk domains I would recommend, as I have mentioned above, looking at www.rollernet.us ; If you go for the subscription option then you will have available greylisting and mail mirror.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Heads up folks that I'm about to send another reminder out about the imminent decommissioning. Copy can be seen below:
[quote author="bobpullen"]Subject: Important reminder about your email service from Plusnet
Your username: {username}
Dear {full_name},
We strongly recommend that you read the following in its entirety as it contains important information about a number of changes we're making that could affect the delivery of your email.
We wrote to you recently to provide notice that we would be decommissioning both our 'Autoturn' and 'mx.last' email platforms. You'll find a copy of this notice over here on our Community Site forums -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97124.msg819556.html#msg819556
'Autoturn' and 'mx.last' are services that are typically used by customers choosing to have their email delivered directly to their own email server using SMTP mail delivery. You can read more about SMTP mail delivery on our website here -
http://www.plus.net/support/email/smtp_mail.shtml
Our records suggest that you may have your plus.com, force9.co.uk, free-online.co.uk and/or domain email delivered to you directly using SMTP.
I'd like to remind you that both our Autoturn service, and the back-up MX record - mx.last.plus.net, will be switched off on or shortly after the 5th October 2011. After this date both services will cease to function and will no longer accept or deliver email on behalf of Plusnet customers.
This means that there's the potential for email that's sent to you to bounce or fail to arrive if you rely on our SMTP delivery service and your email server is ever offline.
There are a number of ways that you can prepare for this, one of which is to subscribe to a third party backup MX service. In order to help you better understand the implications of the changes we're making we have created a support article over on our Community Support Library that you may be interested in reading -
http://community.plus.net/autoturnmx-last-decommission-faq-july-2011/
If you are unsure, or have any further questions about the contents of this email, then please don't hesitate to get in touch over on our Community Forums where we'll be happy to offer our guidance -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,65.0.html
We will publish an announcement to our Service Status feed when the two platforms are removed from service -
http://status.plus.net
Thanks for your understanding,
Bob Pullen
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net
This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email as it has been sent from an unmonitored address.
Email ref: DC022
--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
As this thread is about turning off Autoturn perhaps Bob can inform us how often and how long PN SMTP severs will try to deliver emails.

Did I miss the answer to my question above?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I have just received another of these emails, and checking I don't have any SMTP relays setup and I don't normally use the plus.com account. So why am I getting these messages?
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris3005
I've been wondering for a while whether a backup MX was worth it, as my server was only ever down for short periods, and not using a backup would mean I could try things like greylisting.

Personally, I was glad when they finally allowed users to remove all trace of Plusnet's mail servers from their DNS. The ONLY thing I ever got from them was spam and lost mails. I won't miss mx last and autoturn, and I won't mourn their passing.
I've run my own mail server at home for several years now, and not had any problems with outages <as he reaches about for a bit of wood to touch !> I will admit to having a bit of a head start over most as I run customer facing mail servers as part of my day job.
However, recently I've had a couple of occasions when my broadband has been down for 3 or 4 days, and another when my server crashed 2 days into a week away. I'm only aware of one email that wasn't delivered, but there may have been more. So I'm wondering how much I will miss autoturn.

I don't think you'll miss it much. 3 to 4 days **shouldn't** be a problem, 2 days into a week would start to have your mail bouncing by the end of the week.
Any mail server that claims to be even vaguely RFC compliant will queue mail for several days. IIRC the default in Postfix is 5 days, and my experience is that sort of timescale is not uncommon. If it does not bounce the message back to the sender then it is broken. So for anything resembling a well behaved server you will either get the mail a few days late, or the sender will know you've not got it. For servers that are broken, well you can't fix the rest of the world.
if anyone tells you otherwise, refer them to RFC 5321, and in particular start at section 4.5.4 on Page 65.
Key bits :
S 4.5.4.1 says "... while mail that cannot be transmitted immediately MUST be queued and periodically retried by the sender". Any mailer that does not is therefore broken - and yes I've had this discussion with people that really should have no excuse for omitting this.
The same section also says "... the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days". If someone has set it shorter then it's up to them to justify it, not for you to work around it.
If my server is down for any reason and looks like staying down for a day or three, can I raise a ticket and get my domains moved from SMPT to POP3? How long would it take? Would it make a difference whether the failure was on my system or the Plusnet service?

You can change it online via the portal. I'm not sure how long it takes to change on Plusnet's systems, but the DNS will take a day or two to fully update - systems will have your MX records cached if they've sent mail to you recently, so it will take as long as the TTL on your records. Just checking one of my domains, and it looks like Plusnet use 4 hours.

Now, for all those complaining about not being able to add backup MXs to <user>.plus.com addresses ... why are you still using ISP addresses anyway ? Do yourself a favour and get yourself your own domain name. A .co.uk will cost you £20 every 2 years, less if you shop around (£1/month through Plusnet is a bit steep IMO). A .com quite a bit less.
If you're using SMTP delivery then most likely you're running your own server (or buying a service in). In either case you should have no problem adding a new domain in parallel with your current one. Change the default address used by your mail client, tell all your friends and contacts, and just start using the new domain - the old one isn't going away.
Then, in the future you have full control. You can switch ISP without having a forced change of address (not that I'm suggesting anyone does, I've stayed with Plusnet in spite of what they did to my mail). Basically, your email is de-coupled from your internet provider.
How many times have you heard people say they'd change ISPs if it didn't mean changing email address ? How many times have you had people let you know that they've changed address - and it's clear their new address is yet another ISP lock-in one ?
I especially wince when I see businesses suckered into using an ISP email address for business - and that's what they have written on their van etc !
Telematech

I've inherited an Exchange 2003 server which I think is receiving mail via SMTP from PlusNet.  Like many others, I'm aggrieved that these email backup services are being withdrawn and, for one thing, would like to know how much PlusNet is going to reduce our subscriptions now that we're being forcibly moved to a lower grade service.
For example, the cost of external MX backup services, like QBic, seems to be about £30 per annum, so I would hope that Plusnet will be reducing our subscription by at least that amount.
As I mentioned, I've inherited this mail server and, unfortunately, I'm a complete noob when it comes to the workings of email systems.  Would anyone be kind enough to explain for me what is an MX record, what does it do, what is a DNS zone, where do I find it, how do I change it?  By the way these are all things mentioned on the QBic site, which is one suggested in the PlusNet FAQs as offering an alternative backup service.  I'm trying to work out how this could be set up.
One other thing (among many) that I'm not clear about is the Plusnet statement "you will not be able to use a third party backup MX service with your plus.com, free-online.co.uk or force9.co.uk addresses".  I'm not clear what this means in my case, as our server receives emails addressed both to user@mydomain.co.uk and user@mydomain.plus.com.
If mails to user@mydomain.plus.com can't be backed up by an external service (is that right?), is there any way to get them somehow re-routed to user@mydomain.co.uk?
I apologise for my lack of knowledge about all this.  We've had a service that's run smoothly for years, and has needed little attention - now Plusnet seem to be causing me a load of grief and hassle by giving me a problem that I don't understand how to solve  Angry
I'm tempted to avoid all the hassle by getting rid of the mail server altogether and moving our domain to Gmail.  Exchange 2003 doesn't work with the latest Outlook for Mac in any case which is a complete pain, and I haven't the first idea how to upgrade it.  Has anyone any experience of Gmail - is it a viable solution or a daft idea?
Any words of advice gratefully received...
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: Telematech
I've inherited an Exchange 2003 server which I think is receiving mail via SMTP from PlusNet.

Ahh, the joys of "inheriting" systems and being left in a foreign land you know nothing about !
... would like to know how much PlusNet is going to reduce our subscriptions now that we're being forcibly moved to a lower grade service.

Nothing at all. Like everyone else, they are entitled to change their services. If you feel that the service is not worth it any more then you are of course free to go elsewhere.
For example, the cost of external MX backup services, like QBic, seems to be about £30 per annum, so I would hope that Plusnet will be reducing our subscription by at least that amount.

There are cheaper services. I don't know what my employer charges, but it's quite a bit less than that.
Would anyone be kind enough to explain for me what is an MX record, what does it do, what is a DNS zone, where do I find it, how do I change it?

MX stands for Mail eXchanger - it's simply a way of looking up in the DNS where mail for a domain should be delivered. So a server with a mail to deliver to mydomain.co.uk will make a query to the DNS system and ask for the MX records for that domain. It will then attempt to deliver the mail, starting the with server listed with the highest priority.
DNS zones are (simplifying things somewhat) simply the list of records for a domain.
The complication is that a zone may contain records for more than one level - so a business might split things up and have uk.somebusiness.com, the records for which could be in the same or a different zonefile to the records for somebusiness.com. But you can ignore that for this discussion.
For a <customer>.plus.com address you don't have access to the DNS, other than indirectly via the Plusnet portal (it's under My Account -> Email Settings). In there, you have the option of setting your mail delivery to be via SMTP and give an address to deliver the mail to. When you set this, PlusNet's systems will create an MX record directing mail to "mail.<customer>.plus.com" (plus the backup servers being withdrawn) AND create an A record pointing mail.<customer>.plus.com to the Ip address you specified.
For other domains (eg your mydomain.co.uk) you have more control - it's done through your portal (My Account -> ~Domain Names). You can specify delivery via SMTP in which case I assume the system does the same as I described above, or you can manually manage your DNS records. If you choose this latter option, you will need to create an A record (if it doesn't already exist) for your mail server, and an MX record pointing to it. To add a backup MX, you just need to add an additional MX record (and of course arrange for that server to handle your mail).
One other thing (among many) that I'm not clear about is the Plusnet statement "you will not be able to use a third party backup MX service with your plus.com, free-online.co.uk or force9.co.uk addresses".  I'm not clear what this means in my case, as our server receives emails addressed both to user@mydomain.co.uk and user@mydomain.plus.com.

It means that PlusNet's systems don't allow you to specify more than one MX record for your <customer>.plus.com mail - thus you can't add a third party backup MX.
If mails to user@mydomain.plus.com can't be backed up by an external service (is that right?), is there any way to get them somehow re-routed to user@mydomain.co.uk?

No, I've just had a look, and you can't do this. Aliases can only point to mailboxes in the same domain it seems, so you can't redirect mail out to a different domain.
We've had a service that's run smoothly for years, and has needed little attention - now Plusnet seem to be causing me a load of grief and hassle by giving me a problem that I don't understand how to solve  Angry

What PlusNet are doing won't break your setup - it will continue to work fine and in some ways may even work better (it depends if you have any anti-spam controls in place). All it means is that if your server is off-line for any length of time (server down, broadband down) then mail can't be delivered. At the moment, mail will be delivered to PlusNet's backup servers and they will hold it for you until your server is back online. After these are withdrawn, the sending servers will have to hold it - which they are *required* to do by the standards.
The difference is that PlusNet's will hold the mail for quite a while, others will have different settings for how long they'll hold your mail before they "return to sender" (called "bouncing").
In some ways it's preferable for mail to bounce - the sender will get some indication that you haven't got the mail, and for many setups will get a warning after only a few hours that the mail is delayed. With the current setup, you could be offline for days or weeks, and the sender will get no indication that you didn't get their mail.
I'm tempted to avoid all the hassle by getting rid of the mail server altogether and moving our domain to Gmail.  Exchange 2003 doesn't work with the latest Outlook for Mac in any case which is a complete pain, and I haven't the first idea how to upgrade it.  Has anyone any experience of Gmail - is it a viable solution or a daft idea?

I understand your frustration - we've just migrated from 2003 to 2010 at work for internal mail, and Entourage can't talk to 2010. There's a free update to the OWS version, but that can't talk to 2003 - thus scuppering my plans to add a second account and be able to toss mail between them. When people talk of Windows being a "standard" they are talking complete b***ocks - Miscro$oft are always shifting the goalposts (in this case completely changing the interface to Exchange and dropping the old one) when they feel like it.
As to Gmail, well just be aware that it's not free. Google may not charge you cash, but be very sure they expect to make money from selling advertising against it - and that probably means they are reading all your mail to profile it. Also, depending on how paranoid you are, being a US based business, it means all your mail is readable on demand by US officials.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: SimonHobson
The difference is that PlusNet's will hold the mail for quite a while, others will have different settings for how long they'll hold your mail before they "return to sender" (called "bouncing").
In some ways it's preferable for mail to bounce - the sender will get some indication that you haven't got the mail, and for many setups will get a warning after only a few hours that the mail is delayed. With the current setup, you could be offline for days or weeks, and the sender will get no indication that you didn't get their mail.

There's another possibility with the current setup. It may not be fingering autoturn correctly in which case there could be mail received by autoturn (so the sender thinks it has been delivered as there was no bounce), and you don't receive it because autoturn is never asked to deliver it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pliddell

I've been a customer of Plusnet for many years, initially as dial up then as early ADSL, and most of the time I've been very happy with them (even when I was paying £300 installation / £80 month for ADSL!!).  I have a business account for which I obviously pay a significant premium for, however I am now very concerned that Plusnet are withdrawing a service which is obviously very much targetted at us business users.  I have been recomending Plusnet to many of my customers, and I know of at least 2 that are using the Autoturn feature (as I set it up for them!).
The nature of ADSL means that it not as reliable as other "leased line" connections so ther are always times when my Exchange server is not available even though it runs 24/7.  I have monitored mails received from my Autoturn connection and there are sometimes 30-50 a day, so the service is clearly very much being utilised.
Whilst I accept that remote email servers will attempt to retry undeliverable messages, this is not necessarily a solution that can be relied upon.  The suggestion that I now pay a third-party for a similar service I find particularly offensive - why should I?  I ALREADY PAY PLUSNET for this service.
I don't know if Plusnet are trying to wind down their business customers or not, but it is starting to appear that way to me.  Perhaps it would be a good idea for one of your sales team to contact me to discuss re-alligning my account with a more justifiable service
Regards
Paul
Angry
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: pliddell
I have monitored mails received from my Autoturn connection and there are sometimes 30-50 a day, so the service is clearly very much being utilised.

Utilised for real mail or just spam ?
One of the reasons I really wanted to turn off having a backup MX is that spammers know that backup MX servers tend to have less protections in place - so they tend to deliver their [Censored] to the backup MX instead of the primary one and so get past the protection that the primary has. This was definitely the case for me where I'd put in place a number of anti-spam measures on my own server which were completely neutered by having backup MX servers with none of the protections. Thus I got a lot of spam via Plusnet.
Also, just because real mail is delivered via a backup MX, doesn't mean it would have been lost otherwise. If the primary is down for just a second when the initial delivery attempt is made, then some servers will try backups immediately. Were there no backup then they'd just retry the primary a few minutes later and get through.
As for trying to wind down business customers, I doubt it's a deliberate decision to do that. Services like this cost money and resources to run and support - if they aren't used by many people then it's not a good investment. Bear in mind that when they started these services, there were few alternatives available - which is not the case now.
pliddell

Simon
You're right to ask spam or mail.  The majority is received is spam (as with all the mail delivered to my server pre the anti spam engine) but it does also include real wanted email messages.  My server utilises the anti-spam engine regardless from where the email is delivered ( I suspect the autoturn in your scenario was taken as an internal server so the ant-spam was bypassed)
Many servers (I am thinking of companies that offer automated services such as credit card statements, mailshots etc) only have a single retry period sometimes as short as a few hours, which can easily result in messages being undelivered - sometimes I may welcome not getting a credit card statement, but in reality I do want to receive it!  Wink
Services like this do indeed cost money and resources to run and support, but please understand that is why I still expect them, bearing in mind I DO pay considerably more for my business account than I would for a "Home" account without such facilities.
Regards
Paul
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pliddell
My server utilises the anti-spam engine regardless from where the email is delivered ( I suspect the autoturn in your scenario was taken as an internal server so the ant-spam was bypassed)

If you do any spam checking by IP address then any mail sent to a MX backup server will bypass this. This is the reason spammers will use the backup servers.