cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autoturn decommision and *.plus.com domains

Pottsy
Grafter

Re: autoturn decommision and *.plus.com domains

Just to clarify (for a non technical user)...
I have used this service since right back at the beginning. I have an email server here (Smartermail on WHS) which gets lots of use by all the family. The addresses are all <familyperson>@<myplusnetusername>.plus.com
Do I read right that I cannot use a third party backup mx? If so, then is this change the bombshell that it looks like? Or have I got this wrong?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jch
Quote from: Bob
The mx.last.plus.net and autoturn.plus.net.uk entries will go away and all I'll be left with is the direct entry.   The email that I just got and the FAQ both helpfully suggest using a third party MX redirector for mail.<name>.plus.com.    That's all very well, but I can't add entries to the <name>.plus.com domain can I?

This is true, and in retrospect I should probably have factored this into the comms that went out!

Any chance of factoring it in now?  What I'm most concerned with is a protracted outage causing messages from plusnet to be lost.

I've added some clarity to the FAQ. I've also linked directly to this forum thread in both the FAQ and any future emails that will be going out.
Quote from: Pottsy
I have used this service since right back at the beginning. I have an email server here (Smartermail on WHS) which gets lots of use by all the family. The addresses are all <familyperson>@<myplusnetusername>.plus.com
Do I read right that I cannot use a third party backup mx?

No, unfortunately you can't as we don't allow customers to change the DNS configuration of their 'virtual domains'. This means that if your mail server is ever down then there's a possibility that you may lose email messages if the sending MTA doesn't defer attempts to send messages to a host that's unreachable (most do). You might want to consider switching to POP3/IMAP retrieval.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Pottsy
Grafter

OK, so after many years you simply switch off the one great thing about plusnet and I am snookered.
I guess it's fair enough. It's your choice how you run your business and if that causes me a load of work, the removal of a great feature and the one thing I constantly use to recommend plusnet, and then allows me for the first time to shop around for a new ISP... then so be it.
In a way, I'm looking forward to it. This feature has kept me with plusnet for 8 years and now I can see what else is out there.

jch
Dabbler

Quote from: Pottsy
OK, so after many years you simply switch off the one great thing about plusnet and I am snookered.

I don't think it's quite that bleak.
It's a pain in the neck, but if your mail server is anything like mine then it's turned on all the time anyway.  If it's not then chances are that the only mail you'll lose is spam: I don't know of a single reputable sender that won't retry for several days (five days is normal as that nicely covers the weekend).
I also recently moved my mail server at home to Google Apps (which is free for most uses but my domain costs £10 every two years, not the cheapest, but I've been with Easily since 2002) and means that all my anti-spam measures (which you don't get with an SMTP feed from plusnet) are now taken care of by Google.  I'm considering redirecting the few *.domain.plus.com addresses that are used directly to the corresponding Google Apps addresses rather than forwarding them myself.
The lack of MX records for main.*.plus.com is annoying, but it's not a deal breaker.  I've found it far more useful to move my mail off to a hosted provider (especially one that's free) as I don't need to worry about keeping my own mail server up to date, scanning incoming mail for viruses, making sure I'm not an open relay and all that stuff I used to have to do.

There isn't a way to redirect *all* <domain>.plus.com mail that I've missed is there?
coastergrotto
Grafter

I have just received Bob's email and I must admit I'm all at sea over it, particularly at the beginning where it says:
You are receiving this email as our records indicate that you have your plus.com, force9.co.uk, free-online.co.uk and/or domain email delivered to you directly using SMTP.

As far as I can see my incoming mail server is POP3 mail.plus net.    My outgoing mail (SMPT) is relay.plus net.
Can someone explain how this will affect me, particularly when I'm away on holiday for a month In November I will switch my router off?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There isn't a way to redirect *all* <domain>.plus.com mail that I've missed is there?

No there isn't I'm afraid.
Quote from: coastergrotto
I have just received Bob's email and I must admit I'm all at sea over it, particularly at the beginning where it says:
You are receiving this email as our records indicate that you have your plus.com, force9.co.uk, free-online.co.uk and/or domain email delivered to you directly using SMTP.

As far as I can see my incoming mail server is POP3 mail.plus net.    My outgoing mail (SMPT) is relay.plus net.

You have a .co.uk domain hosted against your account and somebody has added manual MX records to point your email to an SMTP relay service.
MX 	1  	smtp.secureserver.net.
MX 10  mailstore1.secureserver.net.
MX 20  mx.last.plus.net.

All that will happen when the platform is decommissioned is that you'll lose that mx.last.plus.net record (which considering the above shouldn't present any problems). Having said that, I'm a little concerned that you're using mail.plus.net to collect your messages. Is this *definitely* the case for your .co.uk domain because that's not the place your DNS entries point to? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only way I can think of is to use the catchall system - remove all email addresses bar one and nominate that as a catchall then redirect that. Unfortunately that will mean all the spam arriving as well
jch
Dabbler

I'll have a go at that and see what happens.  Thanks.
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Oldjim
The only way I can think of is to use the catchall system - remove all email addresses bar one and nominate that as a catchall then redirect that. Unfortunately that will mean all the spam arriving as well

That's not possible Jim. A catch-all mailbox and redirect with the same name can't co-exist meaning you can't create a redirect with the same name as a mailbox. If you try you'll get the error - "The name <local_part> is already in use or is a reserved name. Please select another."

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry - just tried and it won't let me set a redirect as a catchall
Lorian
Grafter

This certainly doesn't just effect business customers. I'd like to say I'm very sorry that autoturn is going.
I was forced to move to my own SMTP gateway and ant-spam measures some years ago, when plusnet allowed someone to steal my email addresses, and failed to adequately deal with the resultant SPAM. This was on top of the many incidents when the plusnet pop3 servers failed for days on end, other periods when there were huge mail queues to deal which the lasted many hours at a time.
If I have a powercut or my ADSL fails then I rely on autoturn to cache my inbound mail. I will investigate 3rd party solutions, but I suspect I won't like the cost.
This was one of the few features that have kept me with plusnet so long. I guess I need to consider if there are any other differentiators left.
Regards.
Lorian.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Quote from: coastergrotto

All that will happen when the platform is decommissioned is that you'll lose that mx.last.plus.net record (which considering the above shouldn't present any problems). Having said that, I'm a little concerned that you're using mail.plus.net to collect your messages. Is this *definitely* the case for your .co.uk domain because that's not the place your DNS entries point to? Huh

Bob:
I have checked my Outlook Express Accounts and it definitely says that my incoming mail POP3 is mail.plus.net.  What are your recommendations as I'm lost when you say that's not the place your DNS entries point to.
BoomerKC

I cannot believe that PLUSNET sent out this email today about the change. Do they really understand who their customers are? You have people who usually type in to MS Outlook or other client, the settings provided on the FAQ on the HELP Section. Can you imagine the majority of people  Crazy, trying to understand the "Autoturn", the "MX", "Finger" aspects of what is being communicated.
This was obviously written by a technical person with absolutley no regard for who the audience is of the email. I can't imagine all the calls which will come in on the back of that email.....
Golden rule "Know your audience"
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The email was *only* sent to people who had been identified as using the service, it wasn't sent to all the customer base. As it was targetted at people who had used the service, it was more technical than our emails normally tend to be.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jch
Dabbler

Quote from: Lorian
This certainly doesn't just effect business customers. I'd like to say I'm very sorry that autoturn is going.
[snip]
If I have a powercut or my ADSL fails then I rely on autoturn to cache my inbound mail. I will investigate 3rd party solutions, but I suspect I won't like the cost.

I'm not sorry to see the back of autoturn: it always struck me as a hack in wait of a proper solution (either the normal periodic retry or triggered shortly after a connection comes back up).  I am sorry to see the MX records go, but ...
MX records are a comparatively recent invention and the world managed without them for quite some time.  They make life much easier when you're dealing with largish domains with only a small number of externally facing servers and, in those largish domains, allow mail to continue to flow even when one of those externally facing servers becomes unreachable.
The effect of losing the secondary MX records for the main.<domain>.plus.com domains has been overstated somewhat.  I'm partly responsible for that and I apologise for making it look worse than it is.
I would be surprised if anyone actually notices.
There are three cases when having a secondary MX will allow the sending agent (usually, but not always, an MTA) to actually get the message closer to its domain:

• [hen the mail.<domain>.plus.com SMTP listener is not accepting mail

• When your broadband connection is down

• When plusnet's connectivity is restricted (I hesitate to say broken but I don't think it's ever been completely down).

The first two are currently taken care of by the secondary MX's pointing to plusnet's autoturn servers.  When your connection recovers you need to arrange to have any pending mail delivered to you from those secondary MX servers.  (Normally that would not be the case, the mail would eventually be retried).  In the last case the mail will sit on the sending host waiting to be advanced a little further.
In the absence of the secondary MX records, one of two things will happen: the message will be queued on the sending host waiting to be delivered or the message will be rejected (and possibly discarded).    It's that second possibility that causes people to worry.
Now, don't forget we're dealing with a rare event here.  You have an SMTP listener because you are running a mail server, and I presume that if you're running a mail server, it's running all the time on your little, low power machine (you're not a business after all).  If you're not connected (almost) all the time and running your SMTP listener (almost) all the time then you perhaps need to consider getting your own domain and using one of the free or cheap MX providers mentioned earlier: we're not talking about bank-breaking cost here, a domain can cost as little as £5 a year and has the added advantage that you're now portable and plusnet have to work to keep you  Smiley
Back to that second possibility: messages will only be rejected or discarded if you're down long enough: several days.  Anyone running a proper mail service will queue mail up for several days; anyone else is almost certainly a spammer.
If you're going away for a couple of weeks and you want to turn off your broadband and SMTP server and you were relying on the autoturn servers then actually things are really not much changed.  The procedure is different: you switch your mail over to use POP for delivery and when you come back you run fetchmail to fetch it all and switch back to SMTP.  You can do the same if your SMTP listener drops dead as well.
As I said, the effect of this change is really very small.  I would be surprised if anyone saw any difference: apart from perhaps getting a little less spam.