cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation

x00
Hooked

authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation

I'm using another ISP my primary, however the plusnet account is still up an running and used in another household, this is just one of three email on that plusnet account.

I can receive email but not send them.

I'm also between here an Ireland often an never had this issue.

IP 37.156.75.219

10 REPLIES 10
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation

Does this apply?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @x00,

If you are trying to send an email from a non Plusnet connection, I would recommend ensuring the settings are as below for the outgoing mail server.

Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net
port: 587
SSL: off
My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: Yes
Username: account username or (additional mailbox's) username+mailboxname
Password: Mailbox password

If you are using outlook, you can enter the outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net:587 which should automatically change the port number.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
x00
Hooked

Hi jubbly. Yes but this is nothign new. I have been sending receiving mail from my laptop in different countries and regularly do this from my base in Ireland.

It is only since I have switched to fibre to door in my UK base (you don't offer fibre to door in my building) has this happened. It is still a problem if connect through plusnet.

Btw my plusnet account in the UK is still up for now, but not relevant becuase the email is attracted to my parents plusnet, becuase I need to retain that email going back many years. My parents are happy with plusnet for now, if the switch I will retain it through the email only account. 

I have debuged through telnet and is clearly states that you have blocked my this IP. Please unblock the IP provided. Thank you.

For some reason you allow me to receive but not send so it relates to relay.plus.net the outgoing server. This never happened before, been a plusnet customer for years.

x00
Hooked

Possibly but I'm not really sure what is actually different from what I have. I use Thunderbird as a client.

The post is from 2 week ago, but the setting info doen't seen like something. Because I have travelled a lot and have two bases, I need to make sure everything has worked in the past.

Maybe it is a coincidence this happened just as I switched to fibre to door.

x00
Hooked

SPF relates to the message.

I got the rejection just with connection to relay.plus.net through telnet.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @x00,

As far as I'm aware, we do not block specific IP addresses from accessing our mail servers. In cases where we detect fraudulent activity from a mail account, it would be deactivated until the password is changed.

You are able to access the incoming mail server therefore the outgoing server access should not be denied. Could you try logging into webmail and send your own email address a test email to see if it is received. If it is, I highly recommend ensuring the settings are as previously described.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Our mail servers absolutely *do* block connection attempts from IPs with a bad reputation.
@x00, we use Cloudmark as an email security vendor and you can submit a remediation request for the IP in question here - https://csi.cloudmark.com/en/reset/?ip=37.156.75.219
I've checked, and can confirm that Cloudmark are indeed identifying the IP as having a poor reputation.
Hope this helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

x00
Hooked

Well obviously this is not ideal. These sort of blocks it your word against theirs even though it is nothing I've done, and I need this email for work and I don't have time for them to get round to processing the ticket. I will try and get Hyperoptic to change the IP. However I will report it as well, so it doesn't get passed onto the next guy.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Any reason why you can't use Webmail in the meantime?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

x00
Hooked

Webmail is not organised how want.It is limited to have to switch between the two.

btw they cleared the IP

HyperOptic seems to have taken over bcube.co.uk and the IP was associated with that.