cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail folder order

cassuki
Rising Star

Webmail folder order

My mail folders used to be sorted alphabetically but now two folders I use frequently have gone to the bottom of the folder list which means I need to scroll down each time I want to access them.  I can't see how to re-order the list.  I tried dragging but only succeeded in putting a folder inside another folder!  How can I re-order them please?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Webmail folder order

Are the folders subfolders of Inbox or separate?
Mine are all subfolders of inbox; the special Drafts, Sent, Junk and Deleted Items appear first in that order (Junk is really Spam and Deleted Items is Trash) then user-created folders appear in alphabetical order irrespective of case. I didn't find any option to sort them differently.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've tried creating two new folders (since I don't use many) and they appeared alphabetically with, as was mentioned, no apparent way of reordering. Can I suggest prefixing with an "a" to get them to the top of the list?
cassuki
Rising Star

My folders are all sub-folders of Inbox. 
I've just worked out what the problem is but not sure why it has only just manifested itself.  As suggested, I tried renaming the folders with 'a-' to get them back to the top, and while in the Personal Settings area, that sorted them to the top of the list (even above Drafts, Sent, Junk and Deleted Items) but as soon as I returned to the normal view, all three folders went back to the bottom of the list.  That's when I realised that these three folders all start with lower case letters, e.g. iPod.  It is sorting folders which start with upper case letters first and lower case letters second. 
So I've now renamed them again using the correct upper case letter as a prefix, e.g. I-iPod
The folders always used to appear alphabetically irrespective of case so why has this changed now?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just done a bit of experimenting. Newly created folders appear to be placed at the top of the sub-folder list (immediately below Inbox) irrespective of alphabetic sorting. On logging out and immediately logging back in they appear in the same place. However on logging out and closing the browser (Firefox 17.0 in my case), then opening the browser and logging into webmail again the folders appear in their normal place and in alphabetic order independent of case.
Having a lower case first letter followed by an upper case one didn't appear to affect case independent ordering.
That was with folder names containing only letters. Earlier I'd tried including a hyphen and that appeared to upset placement order, even causing older folder names to be sorted in an odd order. I didn't check if closing and reopening the browser resolved this.
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yesterday evening user folders in webmail appeared upper-case alphabetically first, then lower-case alphabetically. Apart from Firefox being updated to version 17.0.1 I hadn't changed anything to make that happen as far as I was aware.
My PC was shut down overnight, restarted this morning and webmail had returned to showing the folders in case-independent alphabetic order.
Strange. Huh
David