cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

Quote from: RPMozley
Now that's just going over the top.  Roll_eyes
This is quite clearly a complex issue as the leak is not widespread and similarities with those affected are hard to pin down. I wouldn't expect anything concrete to be found within a month.

I agree with your sentiment, but I do not think we can say that "the leak is not widespread". There is no evidence to support that - you cannot prove a negative. How many PN members are active on the forum, how many would have a unique billing address to notice SPAM coming into it, how many even check that address regularly?
My guess (and that's all it can be of course) is that there are a lot more people included in this that are posting in this thread.
Highlighted

Having Googled and found this topic I have to reply...
I have one email address on my own domain that receives all emails from my PlusNet account, the only emails I receive to this account are from PlusNet.
I have recently started receiving spam from:
PMI Simply (news@onepoundnews.co.uk)
Life Cover Experts (news@onepoundnews.co.uk)
ProductTestingUK (news@liveuknews.co.uk)
Maria Medium (news@liveuknews.co.uk)
Fantastic discounts (news@ukbrandnews.co.uk)
EcoExperts News (news@liveuknews.co.uk)
Wowcher in association with E-market Labs (news@liveuknews.co.uk)

I know that this email address has not been compromised before as I have never received any spam to it.
Highlighted

Like Bletchingley, I have one email address on my own domain  on which I receive all emails, including from PlusNet. Between 18 and 23 Nov. I have received emails from: E-market Labs, Eco news, Clinic news, Product Testing UK, Luma Card News, TravelChance.
Grafter

See what I mean?  Wink
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

Of course there's going to be more than who have posted here, that's a gimme. It's simply a matter of upscaling in an intelligent manner, that's what opinion polls do (to varying degrees of success). Also large numbers doesn't always mean widespread.  Roll_eyes
The sort of widespread I'm talking about is a direct leak of PN's database where pretty much all customers get the spam. That scenario is much easier to diagnose.
That's RPM to you!!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

It still haven't received a single spam email of the type being discussed here on any email address (Plusnet or otherwise).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

So far Shocked (and ditto), I first joined Plusnet over 11 years ago.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Just to add the same for me as Jelv and Anotherone.  One of my email addresses in particular is tied to 5 different Plusnet accounts (1 business and 4 residential) and I've not seen any of the ones being discusses (yet!)
Phil
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Quote from: jelv
It still haven't received a single spam email of the type being discussed here on any email address ...

Quote from: Anotherone
... (and ditto), I first joined Plusnet over 11 years ago.

Likewise for me.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Of course none of that detracts from the seriousness of the issues and the concern about security that obviously exists for all users.
I hope we will see a meaningful update from Plusnet today.
Highlighted
Grafter

There's a lot of information here to process since I was away last week:
Just to confirm, I've received those same emails (the count for me is 21 emails from Nov 13, 2014 6:09:06 AM to Nov 23, 2014 10:21:22 PM), but haven't had time to forward the headers to Bob [Bob / Chris - let me know if you need headers from mine too, or any other confirmation]

One thing I've spotted, and I consider this a bit naughty, is that if you send a, "join Plus.net," email from the referral page in the Member's Centre, it sends using your (non-plus.net) email address as the sender.
In my case that breaks the SPF record rules I have set up, but I'd realistically expect everyone else to be running a soft fail, and many mail servers don't fail to deliver on a failed SPF record check, if they bother checking at all. Really I would think that this email should be coming from a Plus.net email address, not our account email address, sent on our behalf. (Obviously you'd have to make a more prominent point about name of the person who is recommending Plus.net in that email)
I think I've sent 3, possibly 4, of those recommendation emails, but didn't know it was being sent using that email address until I tested it to another random address at the end of last week.

Marketing preferences
I've got all the marketing preferences switched off on mine, and I don't recall when / if they were ever switched on.

Most of all, I'm glad there's a few of us here to work it out, and I suppose the good news is that the volume has been relatively low so far.
I have now set the address to fail, but I can still see attempted deliveries in the server logs, or return to accepting the messages if necessary,
James
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We could do with some more input from Plusnet here. There has quite clearly been a breach of some sort, although the emails have stopped for me, for the time being.
Highlighted

Is it significant that all the spam emails have my email address in brackets at the start of the subject line.
Highlighted

Quote from: Grampus
Is it significant that all the spam emails have my email address in brackets at the start of the subject line.

Mine are exactly the same.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Welcome to the Forum Grampus. It's not uncommon for SPAM to have the email address in the subject line.