cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Plusnet emails to an Android Smartphone - Is there a way?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Setting Plusnet emails to an Android Smartphone - Is there a way?

but cannot get my e-mail set up from Plusnet on my home computer to forward to the Desire,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do there mouse. What's been described by Ben above is not forwarding, you just configure Outlook on your home computer to use IMAP instead of POP3 to collect your PlusNet mail. That means that the email is stored on PlusNet's servers and not downloaded to your home computer, thus you can then also login from the Desire using IMAP and see the email.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mouse
Grafter

Thanks MisterW, I had my Blackberry set up with a Vodafone e-mail account and I had my e-mails from the home PC sent to my phone if I was out or away, the e-mails were also kept on the home PC, I'm looking to do the same with the HTC too.
Thanks again
Alan
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah!, so did Outlook on your home PC forward email to your Vodafone account ?
If you have an email account with the mobile network for your HTC, in that case its just that you need to reconfigure Outlook to forward to that account.
If you want to use the PlusNet account on the HTC and the home computer then its a bit more complex.
One possibility would be to create a new PlusNet mailbox ( say mobile@username.plus.com ) and then configure Outlook to forward mail from your normal PlusNet mailbox to mobile@username.plus.com and then collect the mail from that mailbox on the HTC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mouse
Grafter

Thanks for your reply again, I had two e-mails on the Blackberry, the Vodafone one and the name@username.plus.com, the second one got the most usage though.
Thanks
Alan
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm afraid I'm no Blackberry expert but I think I might understand what the confusion is. Blackberry does not use a conventional email client, rather it uses 'push email' ( see here http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/680-faq-what-methods-receiving-email-blackberry.html ).
The HTC will use a conventional email client to collect mail directly using POP or IMAP protocols.
Assuming that what you want to do is collect email from name@username.plus.com on your home PC and the HTC ( when away from home ) then I think you have 3 options:-
Configure both the home PC and HTC to collect from name@username.plus.com using IMAP. This leaves the mail stored on PlusNet's servers You would need to manually copy email to a local folder on your home PC to have a copy kept there.
Use the trick I suggested above to forward email to a 'mobile' mailbox and collect from that on the HTC. This would mean that your home PC would need to be on all the time to forward the email.
Configure the HTC to collect mail from name@username.plus.com using POP3 BUT leave the message on the server. This means your home PC would need to be OFF ( or at least Outlook not running ) so that it did not download and delete messages from the server. When you get home you can still collect all the mail using Outlook since any collected using the HTC will have been left on the server.
Incidentally this last one is the way I tend to use my email accounts, its a bit fiddly ( especially if you reply to a mail on the HTC since there will be no copy in the outbox of the home PC ) but you do end up having a complete copy of all incoming mail on your home PC. Using IMAP means you can also synchronise outgoing mail as well but means you don't have an automatic copy of mail stored on your local PC.
Here a useful not explaining the difference between IMAP & POP http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/imapvspop.html

mouse
Grafter

I've got my e-mail up as pop3, I've tried to set up another account using IMAP but Outlook is showing that its not configured, I'm baffled and:-[
mouse
Grafter

Alteranively, could I forward my Plusnet e-mails to a google mail address?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You can 'redirect' your PlusNet emails using the 'manage my mail' from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings.
I'm not an Outlook user but the setup guide is here http://207.46.16.237/en-us/140/cc835669.aspx
Where it wants Username, for PlusNet, that should be username+mailboxname and NOT your email address.

mouse
Grafter

It will not work with IMAP, I'll fiddle on a bit longer and see how I get on.
Alan
mouse
Grafter

Got it sorted, many thanks to MisterW and Martin D from Plusnet. Grin Cheesy Smiley
KevCB

Hi All
I've recently got a Galaxy S and set this up to access 3 of my Plusnet e-mail accounts (via IMAP) and all works really well.
I've got just one problem though....if I delete messages (or move them to trash) they disappear on the phone until the next download and then all are pulled back into the inbox.
Any ideas?
PS - I'm using the standard e-mail app which came pre-loaded on the phone
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: KevCB
I've got just one problem though....if I delete messages (or move them to trash) they disappear on the phone until the next download and then all are pulled back into the inbox.

Where are you deleting the messages from? Webmail, a standalone email client or the phone itself? If it's one of the first two, then chances are you'll need to purge/empty the trash folder prior to accessing the mailbox on your phone. If it's the latter then I'm not sure what the problem is.
I've just set up access to a Plusnet mailbox on Froyo 2.2, deleted the twenty most recent messages and then checked Webmail. None of the deleted messages were visible and everythign worked as I expected Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

alec65

all the info really helped here.  Have now got an imap plusnet account on Thunderbird and set up Samsung Galaxy S also for imap and plusnet. 
Many thanks  Smiley
dhod

Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered before............just got a Galaxy S and followed some of the steps already discussed on here. I am receiving PlusNet e-mails but I cannot send from the smartphone. An earlier posting from MisterW suggested I need to change outgoing settings to those of the mobile network, what exactly do I need to do? I've played around with the settings a bit but nothing seems to work (I am on o2 network)
thanks in anticipation.
sl974k

After spending a couple of hours on this I finally found an answer to setting up PlusNet email on a T-Mobile HTC Desire phone.
I initially got everything working by using PlusNet's incoming server and T-Mobiles's own SMTP server, but that would only send email when connected to the T-Mobile network only. When also connected to a Wi-Fi hub it would not send any mail. After a lot of searching I found some suggestions to use Google's SMTP server to send mail from an Android Phone.
Incoming settings
==============
Protocol: IMAP
Email address: yourname@username.plus.com
Username: username+yourname
Password: PlusNet email account password
IMAP server: imap.plus.net
Security type: None
Server port: 143
Outgoing server settings
===================
Username: your GMail account (eg name@googlemail.com)
Password: your GMail password
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Security Type: SSL
Server Port: 465
The only annoying thing I have found is that if I go back in to view the email settings on the phone it automatically changes the username and password in the outgoing server settings to the same as those in the incoming server, so I manually have to change the outgoing server username and password back to the Gmail username and password.
This worked for me so maybe of help to someone else.
UPDATE: For many months I had the issue that all mail sent using this method was sent from my Gmail address rather than my PlusNet email address. Today, I seem to have resolved that by setting up my PlusNet address as an additional address within Gmail .
Go to Gmail settings.
Select Accounts and Import.
In the Send mail as section click on Add another email address you own.
Enter your PlusNet email address, uncheck Treat as an alias and complete the other fields as required and save.
Verify this new address by clicking on the link in the verification email sent to your PlusNet address.
Next to your PlusNet email address (in the Gmail settings) click Make default .
After doing this when I reply or compose an email from my HTC and send it through the Gmail smtp server the send address is now my PlusNet email address.