cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems with Webmail

@Fibreflop - You might want to send your email via a private message and not in a public forum.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

I have just been on Support Chat  [CSA Removed] regarding this Webmail outage, the second time this week looking for an update on the resolution.  The first time was Monday, where I asked what was going on and reporting that the IE web browser is reporting that it is unable to obtain the revocation details for the wildcard certificate '*.plus.net' every now and then.

I log on today to have a look at the Service Status page and there has been no update since the 5th of December.  Support tell me that they aren't any plans to update the Status page until at least the 12th of December.  This is completely unacceptable and doesn't follow basic IT Service Management practices.

I reported that the system appears functional in the morning and then around midday, it goes offline.  I mentioned today about the certificate issue again, as the guy who I was talking to - didn't know anything about it.  Therefore there is no sharing of information going on within the team.

I said that the Service Status page should be updated once a day with something, even if it is 'no change'.  He said that the Technical team aren't planning to do this, but they may update it before the 12th of December.  This is completely unacceptable.

Can I please get a proper technical answer from the Technical Team on what is wrong, what they are doing and when the service will be returned to normal operation?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I assume this thread is handling current email problems in general, not just the webmail server.

I'll keep updating this thread throughout the week.

It's Wednesday afternoon now and Service Status bombs out for me (reported elsewhere). Is anything at all being done to fix the frequent stalls on the email service? Last night it took almost 7 minutes for Outlook to retrieve my IMAP inbox. It'd be nice to know that something positive is happening, rather than just 'engineers are continuing to work' etc. Possibly invest some cash instead of spreading the available resources ever-thinner across all the newly-bought customers?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@neilhobbs- The service status will be updated this week. Apologies if this isn't soon enough, but it's not impacting the rate at which our network engineers are working on the problem.

We are aware of the times that you have reported the problem, however this seems to vary between customer to customer. The original person you spoke with should probably have added a ticket specifically to your account though, so apologies for that.

Can I please get a proper technical answer from the Technical Team on what is wrong, what they are doing and when the service will be returned to normal operation?

Unfortunately we just cannot provide this at this moment in time. I fully understand that a clear lead time would put a lot of people at ease, but with the nature of the webmail problems we're continually making changes to improve the experience and it's not a single fix.

Appreciate that this isn't the response you're looking for.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
neilhobbs
Rising Star

@MattyC  Thank you for coming back on my posting.  You are correct, I am extremely disappointed by your reply - it is falling very short of your contractual requirements to your customers.

PlusNet should be providing daily updates on what is going on, what you have found and an ETA for resolution.  This is the basic processes within ITIL.  It is shocking and shameful that you treat customers like this - with contempt.

The fact that I have spoken with two members of your Online Support team via Chat today and they have provided no useful information is unacceptable.  The fact that you have followed up with absolutely nothing any use, is also unacceptable.

Can I ask you please treat your customers with respect with providing useful information in the first instance and then a working system after that?

Please provide a useful update as a matter of urgency.

I am happy to continue this posting on PlusNet's Facebook page...  as customers should witness the terrible customer service that you provide...

Fibreflop
Dabbler

Hi Neilhobbs,

I have today spoken to Trading Standards  03454 040506 who say that as the webmail forms part of the package supplied by PN (although not billed separately) the failure to provide the service is a breach of contract. They advise in the first instance for customers experiencing this issue to contact them directly on the above number. They also advise writing (as I we can't email .... :0) asking for a response within 7 days with a deadline for the issues to be resolved. There is more but they will go through it with you if you contact them ..... maybe worth a try. By the way PN guys, I do sympathise and know that you can only repeat the information you are given, but I think customers are losing patience .... and not to mention time!! 

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Please note that I am still getting multiple notifications of new postings on this forum. A worse than usual example (they're usually just duplicated) is the FOUR emails I got re the neilhobbs posting timed at 13.43, 13.45, 13.46, and 13.49.

Is this possibly owing to revisions being made?

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi @Fibreflop

Thank you for your posting saying that you have contacted Trading Standards regarding this outage and PlusNet's failure to properly investigate it and keep their customers updated.  I know that I am losing patience with the guys at PlusNet and I know that many other customers are.

@MattyC - Would you like your customer's to contact Trading Standards regarding this?  Please provide an update and answer my basic questions or I will I need to talk to Trading Standards?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@drj - I believe you get a notification every time a post is edited. I got a mention four times.

@neilhobbs- It's not my role to stop you from going to trading standards, or Facebook for that matter. In fact it's myself who will be working on our Facebook page this evening. I most certainly am not trying to censor anything and as such won't be forced to answer your questions as a result of that.

In terms of the update, as previously advised we'll be updating the service status this week Edit: It's already been updated.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
neilhobbs
Rising Star

@MattyC You are providing a disgraceful service...  You are treating your customers with contempt...  I really don't understand why you are taking this tact?

I would like to talk to someone in a position who is prepared to provide an update.  Are you being difficult and unprofessional.  As well everything that I have outlined above.

I think you need to go on a Customer Service Training course as part of your Personal Development Plan

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not taking sides here but it is all very well saying that updates should be daily, so what happens when the state of play hasn’t changed from the previous day? Well people take to the forum to complain that no progress is being made, it's a no win situation. I suspect that when there is something to report an update will be made so until then I'd assume nothing has changed since the last update.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@MattyC wrote:

Edit: It's already been updated.

Matty

That is not a satisfactory update...  its a copy and paste of the previous update...  Completely unacceptable!  Customer's of PlusNet should receive a service, at the moment - they aren't and @MattyC is treating customers with contempt...

Please arrange for someone who is prepared to do their job properly...

NorthLondonAndy

@neilhobbs I am not here to defend Plusnet, (in fact I have cancelled my service and am moving to a different ISP).  I understand and share your frustration with the email service, but having run a first line helpdesk in the past (for some bespoke software, not for an ISP) I know that there are times when helpdesk staff won't know how long it is going to take to fix something.  Indeed nobody may know if they haven't identified the cause of problems yet.

So don't take out your frustration on support staff. If they could tell you when all will be working fine i am sure they would.  You have the ability to take your custom elsewhere if you are not happy.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m not taking sides here but it is all very well saying that updates should be daily, so what happens when the state of play hasn’t changed from the previous day? Well people take to the forum to complain that no progress is being made, it's a no win situation. I suspect that when there is something to report an update will be made so until then I'd assume nothing has changed since the last update.

It is a basic ITIL practice to provide daily updates for customer IT services like the one that PlusNet are meant to be providing to customers...  As we have seen this afternoon PlusNet is not providing a service and aren't interested in providing.  The approach that @MattyC is providing is one of contempt and is a complete disgrace...

PlusNet should be fixing this issue but they are being difficult...

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Having had the same problems as the rest of you over many week, I finally bit the bullet and put in place an email client.

Despite my initial apprehension and lack of technical expertise the whole process was a joy to carry out. The results have been better than I could ever have expected.

Goodbye all that waiting around and persistent error messages. Life is almost good again