Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing emails getting through

FIXED
AlanH2
Dabbler

Phishing emails getting through

I have stated receiving phishing emails in my Outlook mailbox via the Plusnet server. I have listed the sender's address in Outlook so that items are flagged as SPAM. Is there something I can do so that mail items from the relevant address are headed off when received on the Plusnet server so that they don't reach me?

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Phishing emails getting through

@AlanH2 Unfortunately not, directly, but if you check mail via the webmail  interface first then report the offenders as spam - before actually downloading to your mail client, they will get flagged on the PN system, and potentially stopped that way - it seems to work for me, anyway.

John
AlanH2
Dabbler

Thanks. My mail gets automatically downloaded from Webmail to Outlook, so that's the first place I see it. If I then go into the webmail interface and mark it as spam, will that have the same effect of flagging it on the PN system?

jab1
Legend

I suspect it might, but can't confirm - I don't have sufficient knowledge of how it works. I assume from your comment that you have set Outlook to check for and download mail automatically every 'x' minutes, in which case, my original suggestion won't work.

I have a mail filtering program which checks everything on the mail servers to a schedule and alerts me when there is anything available - but does not download it until I have checked and cleared the rubbish out.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Yeah that'll have the same effect. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Gandalf .

John
AlanH2
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf! I´ll try that the next time one gets through.
AlanH2
Dabbler

I got another phishing email in my client server (Outlook) yesterday evening. I didn't open it but moved it to Junk. When I tried to open Webmail this morning to follow the reporting procedure advised above, the webmail sign in page already had my username and a password filled in. I have never seen that before. When I tried to log in, it failed. I'm not sure what to do next. Ask for a password reset. None of the contact Plusnet options seem right for my circumstances as I only have a free email account with them. Is phoning the only option? Any advice appreciated. [Update: I usually log in to Webmail using a Kaspersky protected page. That's where the problem seems to have been. The dodgy email claimed to be from Kaspersky but looked very wrong. I have now been able to log in to Webmail from an 'unprotected' webpage without difficulty and have transferred the offending email to the Spam folder. There is a warning message showing on my Kaspersky site regarding the database. I'll check that out next.]

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi AlanH2, thanks for the update and I'm sorry about the issues you're having resetting your password, want me to give you a call so we can sort that out?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlanH2
Dabbler

Hello Adam,

Thank you. Yes, that would be very helpful. As mentioned, I have been able to log in to Webmail today via an unprotected browser. I still have the issue described above when I try to log in to webmail via my Kaspersky protected browser. Since this morning, when I go to that log in page, my username and a disguised password are already shown as completed. When I try to log in, it fails. If I try to delete whats in those boxes, it just reappears.

I have moved the offending email to my spam folder.

What's the safest way of giving you my phone number?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi AlanH2, no worries, if you click on my name you'll see a link to send me a private message. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlanH2
Dabbler

Thanks Adam,

Done.

Alan

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Cheers for your time on the phone @AlanH2, it was such a pleasure speaking with you. 

I am glad we got that sorted, just click on the link here; https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/spam-protection-guide/ and it will advise where to send that email. 

Let me know if you need any further help Smiley

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
AlanH2
Dabbler

Thanks very much for your help Sammy. From the link you sent, I was able to check and tighten up my spam filters and to add the address of the offending email to my blacklist. But I couldn't find the address of your people that I should forward the email to for checking. Could someone steer me to it please? Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there,

You can forward the email to us at abuse@plus.net (We go into more detail Here)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet