Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the redirect setup work?

FIXED
Ianl1
Hooked

Does the redirect setup work?

Hi,  I have (in the past) created one redirect that is working fine.  I have come to create some more, but i just cant get them to work.  i just cannot fathom what i'm doing wrong.  Is there a problem with this setup?  I add all the required information and click the "Add" button but nothing happens.

10 REPLIES 10
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Does the redirect setup work?

I've just tried it myself and it's worked without a problem.  Thats using Chrome 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ianl1
Hooked

Strange, i've tried it with Chrome (Version 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)) & Edge (Version 104.0.1293.47 (Official build)) (64-bit) without success.

i must be doing something wrong.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

This is the type of thing I entered for it to work, if it's any help:

RedirectSetup.PNG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ianl1
Hooked

That's exactly what I am doing too.🤔  I have tried redirecting to another plusnet email address and a google account, but it just goes back to the start.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I could possibly understand redirecting to another Plusnet email address not working, if it's on the same account, as that would be an Alias, but I can't see why a google account wouldn't work.  It would be interesting to see if anyone else can replicate the same behaviour.  It sounds like you'll need staff intervention though to see if anyone can see what's happening, as it sounds like your doing it right.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

You're not trying to use the same redirect name as an existing mailbox are you ?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Good point @MisterW.  I've just tried that and get the same as the OP.  I'd not thought of that

Ianl1
Hooked

I created a spam mailbox and i've asked that all suspected spam is sent to this box.  i now want to redirect all this to a google mail account in the short term, just to check what is being picked up as spam, before taking the plunge to just send it to a black hole.  the spam mailbox isn't an alias and is registered as a mailbox.  The google account isn't linked to any other mailbox in the system.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Fix

@Ianl1 you cant have a redirect with the same name as a mailbox ( or an alias ). That would cause conficting rules i.e should mail be redirected or sent to the mailbox ? Therefore the system prevents that situation , ok not in a very user friendly way I admit.

You need to delete the spam mailbox first, then the redirect will be allowed.

Ianl1
Hooked

OK, im sorted now.  It was my misunderstanding of how the thing was working.  I have removed the mailboxes i created and reset them up as redirects and it works fine now.  I was thinking i needed to create them prior to redirecting them.  Thanks all!