Did you mean: 

Mail bouncing to gmail

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Mail bouncing to gmail

It is a “facilitation” for something not formally supported … which came out of SuperUser “discussions”.

As @Gandalf said, why it did not work is something of a mystery.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

breslaw
Rising Star

@Townmanwhy it did not work is something of a mystery.

Agreed. And given that there's no test for checking that it's working - other than wait and see - my re-admission of the request to "please-add-spf-records"  yesterday (7 March), might well now actually be working. Time will tell.

Pengalls

Your problem is an exact replica of mine.  i'm now confused about exactly what I type into the RH box... do you know the correct syntax etc. for the entry?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

please-add-spf-records

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Why are you confused? The correct syntax is exactly as advised.

Pengalls

Thankyou both... I've entered the phrase as you advise... no difference yet, but time will tell!  To add further to my confusion, the odd occasion when Gmail bounces from the PC etc. is JUST acceptable, but on my Galaxy, I have two email accounts set to work with PN.  One is named to my domain, the other to the basic Plus email.  Emails to Gmail from the Plus email ALWAYS work, whereas using my domain account, emails to Gmail ALWAYS FAIL!  Both accounts are set up exactly the same, barring the name difference.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

account.plus.com has DKIM configured.

yourdomain.co.uk needs SPF by the unsupported facility … which evidence suggests might not always take (try removing and reading 6 hours later).

Neither SPF nor DKIM are mandatory requirements. Gmail is playing bully boy tactics on their free email accounts. Paid for accounts do not have these non-mandatory RFCs mandated. People need to understand very clearly that this is a Gmail created issue which they chose to implement in a selective manner.

Are both devices using the same SMTP server, port, encryption and authentication?

Pengalls

Hi, yes, both accounts are configured identically.  As I said, one points to my domain and the other to Plus.  Really weird.  I have to be careful when replying to Gmails that I'm on the correct profile/account else bouncy bouncy again!

Pengalls

All seems to be good now.  Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

TonyOCL
Grafter

In the DNS setup for my PN hosted domain, do I just create the 

Type = MX

Pri = 999999

and right Field = "please-add-spf-records"

or do I somewhere have to first put this text in
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all

Thanks in advance

Regards.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@TonyOCL you create the MX record. An automated script then runs about 4 times/day, 'sees' the MX record and creates the correct SPF record in the back-end DNS system (to which users dont have access)

TonyOCL
Grafter

Great, I have done the MX record as show, just now have to be patient.

Regards

Tony

boxnet

On this subject, is there any way to add records to the SPF record ( for non plusnet email servers i.e hosted exchange )???

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@boxnet 'fraid not, its a fixed format spf record.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@boxnet wrote:

On this subject, is there any way to add records to the SPF record ( for non plusnet email servers i.e hosted exchange )???

Can you please explain why you would want to do that?

If the domain is hosted elsewhere (an exchange server) the you should be using that server for the SMTP server, not Plusnet's so there is no need for a SPF record referring to Plusnet's SMTP services.

If the domain is hosted by Plusnet, then you should only be using Plusnet's SMTP server, not those of other providers.