Did you mean: 

Mail bouncing to gmail

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Mail bouncing to gmail

The Ecohosting service only offers 1 mailbox with 2GB.  Their 5GB package permits up to 10 mailboxes, so not overly similar to Plusnet, if you have used the unlimited characteristics of the Plusnet service.

The Mythic Beasts service seems closer to Plusnet's in that the only limit is storage capacity - the number of mailboxes and addresses is unlimited.

Email

• Unlimited POP3/IMAP mailboxes
  • Unlimited email autoresponders
  • Access to mail through our webmail interface
  • Unlimited redirection of email @yourdomain.co.uk
  • Web based control over DNS entries for your domain

If you require more storage than the email-only hosting account provides, please order a web hosting account. Unfortunately we cannot provide a discount for not using the web hosting facilities, as the bulk of the cost comes from providing the storage.

Also of notable interest is the configurable "catch-all" provided by Mythic beasts - PER MAILBOX

Dynamic addresses

It is also possible to create "wildcard" addresses that will accept mail to any address that starts with a specified prefix. To do this, create an address for prefix-default.

For example, to accept mail for any address of the form alice-anything@wonderland.com, create an address called alice-default@wonderland.com.

This can be very handy if you need to give your email address to a site that you don't trust, as you can give an email address that is specific to that site. If you then start receiving spam to that address, you can then explicitly create that address and choose to discard all such email, or save it to a different folder. You will also know which site leaked your address to spammers.

Which is exactly what I have been doing for years with Plusnet - but that only works with the default mailbox.

Mythic Beast works out at £20.04pa for 2GB or £30pa for 5GB - given the rich functionality, that seems like a bargain!!  @MisterW should be running a referrals programme! Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

The Mythic Beasts service seems closer to Plusnet's in that the only limit is storage capacity - the number of mailboxes and addresses is unlimited

that's about right. They also allow multiple domains to be hosted on one account. Their configuration interface is not the standard CPanel but has all the functionality.

Shame they don't have a referral program😀

Their support is pretty good, it's by email. Had cause to use it yesterday when enabling DKIM on one of my domains. Emailed at 17:00 , got reply at 17:25 which resolved the query!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

breslaw
Rising Star

A week ago, I asked: " Any idea how long it takes the plusnet folk to implement this and for it to take effect?".

I hadn't had any gmail problems since I posted that question. I'd assumed that the DNS record had been added ... until today; suddenly I can't send to any gmail addresses again, for the usual DKIM and SPF reasons.

Hmm. Is this the end of the road?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

A week ago, I asked: " Any idea how long it takes the plusnet folk to implement this and for it to take effect?".

Its done by a script which (AFAIK) runs about every 6 hours. So it should have been within that time frame.

Have you checked your domains DNS to see if its been added ? If you dont have 'dig' then use https://mxtoolbox.com/Public/Content/Toolhandler.aspx?command=mx

NB you wont see the record from the PlusNet DNS control panel

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This - Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email (mxtoolbox.com) - is a bit more direct.  Same service, points directly at the SPF query, using the SuperTools.  Delivers a result like this...

v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all
Prefix Type Value PrefixDesc Description
  v spf1   The SPF record version
+ a   Pass Match if IP has a DNS 'A' record in given domain.
+ mx   Pass Match if IP is one of the MX hosts for given domain name.
+ include _spf-internal.plus.net Pass The specified domain is searched for an 'allow'.
+ include _spf-internal2.plus.net Pass The specified domain is searched for an 'allow'.
~ all   SoftFail Always matches. It goes at the end of your record.

Test Result
Status Ok SPF Record Published SPF Record found
Status Ok SPF Record Deprecated No deprecated records found
Status Ok SPF Multiple Records Less than two records found
Status Ok SPF Contains characters after ALL No items after 'ALL'.
Status Ok SPF Syntax Check The record is valid
Status Ok SPF Included Lookups Number of included lookups is OK
Status Ok SPF Type PTR Check No type PTR found
Status Ok SPF Void Lookups Number of void lookups is OK
Status Ok SPF MX Resource Records Number of MX Resource Records is OK
Status Ok SPF Record Null Value No Null DNS Lookups found

Reported by ns2.force9.net on 3/7/2023 at 9:38:51 AM (UTC -6)

breslaw
Rising Star

@Townman. Thank you. I tried mxtoolbox.com.  It says there's no SPF record found for my domain breslaw.co.uk.

Any idea what to do?

staffie2001uk
Hooked

@breslaw Your domain mx records resolve to mx.avasin.plus.net but the servers refuse to connect.  

I'm not an expert, but this suggests there is something wrong with the configuration of your domain.   

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@breslaw

Have you followed the advice in post #51 ?

breslaw
Rising Star

@Townman: " Have you followed the advice in post #51 ?"

Yes that's what I've been asking about this past couple of messages.

breslaw
Rising Star

@staffie2001uk: "but this suggests there is something wrong with the configuration of your domain. "

If you're right, is there anything I can do about it, apart from cry for help here?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

@breslaw just to double check, is your domain control panel showing the exact same as illustrated here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
breslaw
Rising Star

@Gandalfis your domain control panel showing the exact same as illustrated here

Yes. I double checked by removing the record and adding it again. Here's a screenshot:-Screenshot_2023-03-07_23-31-07.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

So as a test to try to replicate things, I added the same MX record for my Plusnet hosted domain last night and the system has created the SPF record as expected. I’ve just checked your domain and it looks like re-adding it has done the trick as you now have SPF? Really odd.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Must be one of those “it’s the way the user pressed the keys” issues! :rol:

@breslaw (seriously) could there have been a trailing space?

breslaw
Rising Star

@Townman(seriously) could there have been a trailing space?

(Not so seriously) there could have been a whole raft of nonprinting characters. But what kind of software doesn't strip off leading and trailing whitespace from user input fields?

(Seriously) if there is (unlikely) a trailing space, then because the system doesn't allow checking or editing of the current setting, I'll have to delete it, and re-enter yet again. This could perhaps make a human being (the kind that doesn't strip off trailing whitespace) think that I'm having a lark, and get me into trouble.