Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

@MisterW

It's definitely "Plusnet Mail" and since the start of 2019, e-mail addresses on Generic Services accounts can access SMTP from a non-Plusnet connection. But it's a good shout though. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dtaylor

I am leaving Plusnet after 14 or more years as the building I live in has been wired up for fibre and, although I have been generally happy with the customer service over the years the broadband has been poor - but mainly due not to Plusnet but rather (I believe) to the ancient copper wiring used to connect building to the exchange box.

Over this time I have used my plus.com email address(es) for all my email correspondence and built up a large number of contacts (business and otherwise) which communicate to me through that address. I checked this forum and elsewhere before signing up to the fibre company to make sure that email only accounts were still being offered. Reading the forum I was reassured and also reassured by knowing someone who has kept and still uses her plus.com address despite no longer subscribing to Plusnet.

However, on phoning Plusnet today to cancel the account I was told firmly by customer services that Plusnet no longer offers email only accounts. I was told that this stopped in April this year.  Is this the case? This thread (and others on the forum) say not. Could someone please help?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Not sure exactly when this was actioned, but I thought it was 23rd/24th April, from something I read a week or so ago.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're leaving us after so long.

I'm afraid it is true that we're no longer able to provide an email only account. 

I've had a look though at the broadband availability for your address and typing your landline number into the checker Here shows that you can get fibre with us through Openreach's network. 

Assuming it's not too late, I'd recommend giving us a call on 0800 013 2632 to upgrade! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@dtaylor 

When you say your building has been wired for Fibre do you pure fibre as in FTTP.

If so, PlusNet now offer a FTTP product (as of Wednesday). To confirm you need to see WBC FTTP in the left hand column of the following

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Brian

Edit : Gandalf beat me to it!!!

dtaylor

Gandalf, that is very bad news. Can you tell me what will happen to those people (those in this thread and the many others, including my friend mentioned above) who currently have an email only account? Can they continue to use their plus.com address?

I'm sorry to see Plusnet taking this action,not just for the considerable inconvenience to myself but also because I've always thought you were a cut above the competition from the likes of BT, Virgin and the rest. That seems less and less the case now.

To answer you other point, the Openreach fibre does not extend to the flat I live in it only goes as far as the box in the street or possibly a box in the building, either way it is the ancient wiring from the box to my flat which causes the continual dropouts and slow speeds I have always experienced with Plusnet (so I was told by a couple of Openreach engineers over the years).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@dtaylor wrote:

Gandalf, that is very bad news. Can you tell me what will happen to those people (those in this thread and the many others, including my friend mentioned above) who currently have an email only account? Can they continue to use their plus.com address?

If you already have email-only account, that will continue to function - for the moment - although I suspect PN will drop email support entirely in the near(ish) future - they are, after all BT's 'budget' brand, so costs will be pared to the bone.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@dtaylor 

The final bit of pure fibre is not installed until FTTP is ordered.

Unless @Gandalf is confusing his Broadband from his Full Fibre then FTTP may be available to you. Use the checker I mentioned previously - you're looking for WBC FTTP

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Appreciate the disappointment, but it's a decision the business has made. We'll still honour any requests made for an email only account before 22.04.22 and existing ones will stay as they are. 

Looking at the logs, you've not had a single drop in over 26 days until presumably you've disconnected your router? I've attached below a copy of your connection. Looks like the only router we've sent you is a Thomson from 2010, if you're still using that then it's likely that's the problem as it is ancient indeed.

Full fibre isn't available for you all the way to your property, but fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) is available and you should be able to get a speed of between 61.63mbps to 80mbps. As you're fairly close to the cabinet, this will cut out a lot of the copper cabling. I'm currently on a FTTC connection now WFH, getting ~50mbps and it's perfect. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you think the issue is with the copper in the building and you do not have full fibre available … you’ll be in no different position changing ISPs. Same BTOR technology, same building copper circuits.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

^ Unless there's full fibre available with another provider off the Openreach network

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arpy
Hooked

Does anyone know if the process @Townman has posted above (https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Keeping-Email-When-Leaving-Plusnet/m-p/1847483#M38089) is still an option?

My Mum is moving out of her home.  However, with no new address yet she cannot move her BT phone line and Plusnet broadband so it looks like her account will be cancelled but she really wants to keep her email @Username.plus.com email address

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@arpy Unfortunately Plusnet stopped selling email only accounts to people who leave as of April 2022. Please see the official line here at https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Conversion-to-email-only-account/m-p/1878506#M40089 from support staff member Gandalf

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
arpy
Hooked

prosser99
Grafter

I'm just reading this thread and am disappointed that I cant keep my @Username email account as I'm considering moving (after 20+ years). 

Like others here I am being offered FTTP by a small provider who has installed infrastructure in my area and the BT page shows that we are not due FTTP here until Dec 2026 (or later who knows) see https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker.

I wonder has PlusNet considered charging a small monthly fee for email only accounts, I'd be happy to pay to secure some kind of contract/commitment with PlusNet?

Is there any other option like forwarding mail to a non PlusNet mailbox?

Many thanks