Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

@steveal

Have you recreated her mailbox via the user portal?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

steveal
Grafter

I did re-create her mailbox - but before you sorted my mailbox out. 

Should I delete her first one and re-create it again?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I did not do anything. I’m a customer like yourself.

Personally I would change / reset the password on the secondary mailbox and try logging in to webmail again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

Hey @steveal,

Has there been any progress since last night or are you still unable to access the mailbox?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
steveal
Grafter

Yes!

I now have access to both email accounts through both webmail and Gmail.

Thanks to everyone who helped to sort this out.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Did you do anything to fix this?

Was there any specific advice herein which brought about the resolution?  If yes, can you please mark that post as "This is what fixed it" as that helps others with similar issues to follow the same advice.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @steveal. I'm glad to hear that's all working now. Just give us a shout if there are ever any issues and we'll be happy to help out Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
steveal
Grafter

Townman,

I did nothing, other than request help from you chaps, to get my own account back in shape.

I had to delete and remake my wife's account (probably because I formed it too early after leaving Plusnet), and then that came good.

My experience has been fine, due to the help from this forum.

I tend to think it should be an easier process for the less technically astute (like me).

jrt001

Like others I am having to leave Plusnet after 20+ years because they do not (and appear to have no target date to) support FFTP.  We currently have a slow and not very reliable ADSL service).  I had a very unhelpful chat with customer support about retaining an email account.  Was told categorically that this was not option  and that it was stopped 2 or 3 years ago.  Email service would end the day contract terminated.  Now by chance I read these threads and that information appears to be wrong. 

Please confirm that it is possible to retain the email account and instructions about how to do it.  Also - as I appear to be not alone in this confusion - please instruct your customer support team to update their advice.  Unusually for Plusnet the advisor was not only rather abrupt and unhelpful but also wrong.  I switch on 21 March.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jrt001

I'm really sorry if you were given this advice and I'll make sure feedback's passed on. I can confirm, and I've just double-checked the process, that Plusnet e-mail addresses can currently be kept after cancelling a broadband/phone service.

I can also say that we do have plans to offer FTTP and that should be coming to our product range this year. While I'd hate to see you go after being with us for decades, I can understand if you do choose to leave to get FTTP a lot sooner. 

Normally when we close an account and then reinstate it to e-mail only, it's a rather convoluted process and where the mailboxes are all destroyed, we'd have to raise a NetOps task and you'd have rebuild them manually, but the good news is that your e-mail account is actually a separate account from your phone/broadband account.

Due to how long ago this was, I can't see the details of why this is the case, but I suspect you may have left us for phone/broadband at one point then returned or we may have needed to create a new account for some reason. 

This means that and, assuming it's the e-mail address you've used to setup your forum profile you're wanting to keep, the cancellation that's due to happen on the 21st March as your new provider ports your landline number, won't affect it. 

All other e-mail addresses you may have that has the same username in it after the @ symbol of the one you've used in your forum profile also won't be affected by the cancellation, so they'll be safe too. 

If you've got further concerns or queries, feel free to get back to me and I'll be happy to help. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jrt001

Thank you very much.  It is nice to see a return to the helpful and friendly advice which I have always experienced with Plusnet.

Just to confirm - there is nothing that I need to do and the accounts using my current email addresses will continue to work - I have three addresses - the default and one for my wife and one for myself. 

Many years ago I had to close my email account as it had been hacked - it was then presumably set up again but as a separate account?  Turns out to be a good thing.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @jrt001

Unless you're wanting to keep your e-mail address that has your broadband username after the @ symbol, you don't need to do anything as your other e-mail addresses on your e-mail only account won't be affected by the cancellation.

These addresses are on the original account, whereas your broadband and phone's on a more recent one. 

If you had been with us the entire time (and thanks for your loyalty, if so!) then have you moved home during that time? We may have closed/downgraded the original account to e-mail only, and setup a new account at the new property. 

Either way though, your e-mail addresses are safe, unless again the address in the format of anything@broadbandusername.plus.com is important to you, let me know if so and I can make sure that's reactivated once the cancellation goes through, and there may be some downtime while it is reactivated. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jrt001

Hi Gandalf

I have been with Plusnet all the time but have put together what I think has happened.

About five years ago I added an additional account for broadband and phone for a second house and kept the same email address for both accounts.

After some time we moved full time into the second house and closed the original account - still retaining the email.

Thus the original account was l****b the new one is g**********e and the email address remained as @l****b.plus.com.  So the name of the account we now use for phone and broadband (which be the one switched) is not the same as the email address.

Fingers crossed the email should still work! 

Thanks again for your help.

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

Mystery solved! Cheers for posting back. 

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Gandalf since it was done so long ago , there's no chance that the old account is a 'generic services' one rather than an 'email only' ? I'm thinking smtp access from a non-plusnet connection...