Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

FIXED
steveal
Grafter

Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

I've read several threads assuring me that I could keep my email after leaving Plusnet.

As suggested, I informed Customer services that I wished to change my account to email only.

2 weeks after leaving, the email account seems dead, and today I was assured by Customer Service chap, Ryan, that keeping email is not possible.

I can no longer log in to Webmail.

Can anyone suggest a way to retrieve my account?

Thankyou.

52 REPLIES 52
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Keeping Email When Leaving Plusnet

Email only accounts

When your account is cancelled, any additional services you have such as email, web-space, cgi-service, etc. will stop working. If you want to retain your email service after your account is closed, you must advise Plusnet before the account is closed. There used to be a charge for email only accounts, but they are now free of charge.

Resurrecting an account as email only requires manual intervention from both yourself and Plusnet. The initial stage in account resurrection gets the default email address restored. You then need to setup any secondary Plusnet email address(es) yourself, at which point you'll be able to once again send and receive emails from those addresses.

If you have secondary email address(es), after you have recreated those email addresses, you will need to ask that their contents are restored by updating the existing thread or try posting on the generic email restore topic. Please note that these backups are kept for 30 days only.

The process should go something like this...

1. Prior to your account being closed, you must tell Plusnet that after your account is closed you wish to retain the account as email only - contact the Customer Options Team - agents receive few requests for this, so if there are any doubts refer the agent to KBMS article #3349
  2. You need to make a note of all of your Plusnet email address(es) by going to manage my mail at https://plus.net/email
  3. Your account is terminated
  4. Plusnet resurrect the account as email only
  5. Plusnet will restore the default mailbox - you might need to change the name before the @ symbol to what you had before
  6. You recreate any secondary email address(es) and then request that their contents are restored
  7. Plusnet restore the secondary mailbox(es) content

Everything should then work as it did previously, however please note that emails sent to the email address(es) between the account being closed and the email addresses being recreated might...

1. Be returned to the sender as un-routable (no such domain)
  2. Be returned to the sender as undelivered (no such addressee)
  3. All be delivered to the default mailbox if catch-all is enabled

@Gandalf  - is there anything you can do here at this late juncture please?

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@steveal 

PS: for clarity, the above applies only to @youraccount.plus.com email accounts - not the other legacy brands.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @steveal,

I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened. I've had a look over the account and raised a request to our Net Ops Team to see if the mailbox can be retrieved and the account reinstated as a mail only account. I cannot guarantee the outcome of this request however I'll keep an eye on it and let you know once an update becomes available.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
steveal
Grafter

I appreciate the help being offered and hope my email account might survive.

It is @youraccount.plus.com email account.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @steveal

I've had a look at this on Alex's behalf as he's not yet on shift and it should be possible to reinstate your emails.

We're waiting for our NetOps team to pick up the task he's raised, which should be within the next few days.

If we're successful once we've reactivated it you'll need to recreate your mailboxes and any settings at Manage My Mail by going to plus.net/email, and if you let us know after you've done this, we can restore your mail to those mailboxes, though if you're sent any mail at the time your mailboxes aren't working then they'd likely bounce back to the sender. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steveal
Grafter

Many thanks for your help.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good news @steveal - the account is back and enabled as a mail only account! Please could you go about recreating your mailboxes as advised in @Gandalf's previous post? Once you've done so, please drop another message in the thread and I'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@steveal 

There would also be merit in logging into the email account using webmail and confirm that you can send emails.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @steveal,

Have you had a chance to recreate your mailboxes just yet?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
steveal
Grafter

I have re-created the two mailboxes which matter to us. One for stephen and one for lynda.

I spent several hours trying to configure everything - I believe my mailbox is working (receiving messages etc.).

If you can do the follow up work with the folders, I would be grateful.

steveal
Grafter

I have used Webmail to send message, and this appears to be working correctly.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming that for us @steveal. I've raised a request back to the team this evening to restore the emails to the mailboxes and I'll let you know once this is picked up. Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
steveal
Grafter

Thanks to your help, I now have all my emails in their correct folders (seen using Webmail).

However, my wife's email does not seem to be working. I set this up, but cannot log in to her account on Webmail. Can you help with this?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @steveal,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues accessing that mailbox. Are you receiving any kind of error message when this occurs? It may also be worth trying the default/main account password if these were ever changed in the past.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team