Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Information Regarding Your Account

Trebor9999
Hooked

Important Information Regarding Your Account

My mailboxes exceeded the size limits.

1. I would like to be able to reply to this via email (or online chat or raise a ticket).  Currently the only way I can see of dealing with it is to phone plusnet to go through security checks and explaining the problem.
  2. As the account holder I need the means to see the size of all the mailboxes in my account. Currently the only time I am aware of a size problem is when I get an email message such as the one below.

To: postmaster@username.force9.co.uk

Subject: Important Information Regarding Your Account

Your username: Username

Hello Username Usename,

We've contacted you a few times recently about the amount of email stored in your Plusnet mailboxes.

When we last checked, your email account was still larger than 1GB, so to make sure it doesn't cause problems for other users of the service, we've archived some of your messages. This means that you won't be able to access these emails unless you have a copy saved locally.

Here is a list of the mailboxes that we have archived - 

Mailbox		Size
	Maildir-A.N.Other		603.844 MB
	Remaining Mail	467.572 MB

Don't worry though, we'll keep your emails safe for 30 days before deleting them; so if you simply didn't get round to it, then we'll happily restore all of your messages to give you a bit longer to tidy things up.

If you're finding a lot of your mail is junk, here are some things you can do -

- Check your spam filter settings -

If you're receiving a lot of junk email, then you might also want to check that you have spam filtering enabled. You can do this by logging into your account at email.plus.net and selecting the 'Spam' tab.

- Disable your catch-all - 

On the same page, click the 'Catch All' tab and decide whether this is a feature you require. You are much less likely to receive unwanted junk email with your catch-all switched *off*.

To request your email account is un-archived, please respond to this message using the Help Assistant available on our website -

http://contactus.plus.net

If we don't hear from you then the emails will be deleted.

Best wishes,
Plusnet Network Operations Team
http://www.plus.net
-- 

This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from force9. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.

Email Ref: E1021

PlusNet PLC Registered Office: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU. Registered in England no: 3279013

8 REPLIES 8
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Important Information Regarding Your Account

Hi @Trebor9999,

I've had a look at your account this afternoon and I can see that you've spoken to a member of our Support Team earlier today. I hope that this call helped, but if you require any further assistance then please don't hesitate to update the thread and we'll be happy to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Trebor9999
Hooked

The point of my original post is as the Account Owner/Administrator I would like the means to see the size used by all of mailboxes on My Account.

The only time a become aware of the total space used is when plusnet warn me the account is using a lot!

This would help Plusnet in that you would need to send out less warning messages and give me the Account Administrator the means to deal with the problem proactively. 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Trebor9999

Thanks for reaching out, there's no way to see how full your folders are in one go, but you can check this out individually for each folder.

Settings > Folders > Click on the folder > Information > Click to get file size Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Trebor9999
Hooked

That is not what I am looking for!

To allow my mailbox users privacy I do access the mailboxes in my account (Parents, Children and Partners etc.).

I want the ability to see the size of all the mailboxes in one place, I would suggest on the "Manage My Mail" page:  https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail 

p.s. The restore request I put in on Last Friday (over 132 hours ago) has not happened within the 48 hours promised!

mhi1
Grafter

...there's no way to see how full your folders are in one go...Smiley

To PLusNet: please provide some way to do that. (Show the size of a mailbox, i.e. what would be reported in the Important Information... message, but without having to wait for such a message.)

daz4265

Hi all,

Not so much a reply as an additional query n the same subject.

I too get regular autoemail summaries, which ALWAYS exaggerate the actual size of my email accounts.

Yes, they are useful as a reminder, but why is there such a discrepancy between Plusnet's Stat and the data gained from Outlook 2010 (yes, an old version)

From Autoemail yesterday

To help you reduce the overall size, here's a list of your largest mailboxes -

Mailbox                                Size

default                 757.164 MB

mobile                  1.64 MB

test                        0.088 MB

Total                      758.896 MB

Outlook stats are in the attached file

Incidentally does anyone else use this old version of Outlook? It keeps losing sync with Plusnet's IMAP server under IMAP. This has been happening for about a year now

I don't like, or have access to later Outlook versions and don't want to move to something like Thunderbird, with the need to perform major admin on my archives for the last decade. I've tried lots of port/SSL/encryption etc. options with no success.

Conversations with Plusnet have not elicited any interest, nor acknowledged any server changes around about the time my problems started.

Any ideas?

Regards

John

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Trebor9999, I am sorry that your mail has still not been restored. I've not been able to locate the reference for the task raised to be able to check on the status of this and so in case there have been any issues with the request, have raised a new one for you. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I'm sorry that you are unable to view the size of all mail at once; the only way to check this would as as my colleague mentioned via webmail.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mhi1
Grafter

To @daz4265 - I can think of two ways Outlook's view of IMAP message size could be smaller than PlusNet's.

1. PlusNet's mail storage (internally presumably using Maildir++, since its server announces itself as Courier-IMAP) stores each message in a separate file. There's a space overhead for each such file, which is not part of the message which it stores; when Outlook reads size of a message over the network, it gets the size of the message, not the size allocated for the file on disk which stores that message. The difference probably averages a few hundred bytes per message, which can be a big percentage for small messages. I expect the PlusNet report on mailbox size is of the amount of disk space reserved for all the files, not the size of the messages put into them.
  2. Outlook might be reporting the size of the message without its headers. The headers can occupy a few kilobytes for each message. This would make a huge difference to the reported size, especially if the average size of messages is small.

I don't know how PlusNet's mail storage works. The ideas above are more-or-less-informed guesses.