cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get your e-mails through a e-mail client.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

How to get your e-mails through a e-mail client.

For those wanting help in getting their Plusnet e-mails through a mail client you can get help with this Here.

[edit]

Removed out of date information from this post as the How to set up Plusnet email article above ^ has up to date info.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
61 REPLIES 61
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

IMAP email

Further to Matthew Wheeler's post, see https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/td-p/1598809

It is worth noting that not all email clients/applications will by default keep all folders in sync. For example, some basic Android Email apps will only use local folders for Sent or Deleted Items, others may have to be configured specifically to display and use the server-based folders.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: IMAP email

Moderators Note

Topics merged

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lisajayneb

Re: IMAP email

That's fine, except the apple page you link to suggests you contact your email provider - that's you, plusnet - who tell me they'll help up to webmail stage and then you're on your own, won't help with device issues.

I've only just signed up with you - am starting to wish I hadn't.  Email on phones has existed for a good few years, I find it rather difficult to see why it is so difficult to persuade a plusnet email account to send things from my phone or tablet

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: How to get your e-mails through a e-mail client.

Hi @lisajayneb,

The guide Apple provided advises to contact your email provider to retrieve the settings required for each field. All the settings required for sending and receiving emails have been provided by @MatthewWheeler.

If you get to a stage where you have set up your email address through the client on any of your devices and are no longer able to progress or you are unable to send/receive, let us know what is shown and we will provide as much information as we have to get the mail client up and running.

I would like to point out that email clients on mobile device can automatically apply SSL, if there is no check box to remove SSL this can be disabled by entering the details below in each field.

Incoming mail server (POP) - mail.plus.net:110
Incoming mail server (IMAP) - imap.plus.net:143
Outgoing mail server (RELAY) relay.plus.net:587 / relay.plus.net:25

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
lisajayneb

Thank you

I should have mentioned that I am a very new subscriber and my broadband will not go live until 24th January. A chap on plusnet live chat this morning told me that is the reason why, once I go live all should work wonderfully.

It is annoying that two previous chat sessions did not mention this.

I hope he is right, I will keep your reply to hand just in case.

Lisa

bushwood
Grafter

I am new to the Forum but not new to Plusnet so I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post.  We move about quite a bit (Hong Kong, Australia, Dubai, UK etc.)   

We have 4 Plusnet emails and we use Outlook 365.  We also use Gmail and it is on Outlook 365 but I also monitor it on webmail (Goggle Chrome).

I have noticed that Express VPN normally prevents sending emails but I switched it off when sending so not much of a problem and not Plusnet's fault. 

The Plusnet account operate normally on webmail.

Now the Plusnet emails do not work on Outlook 365.  They have worked normally in Hong Kong for the last 4 months or so.  They worked normally during those 4 months in the UK (various cities and wifis), Ireland, Dubai and Australia.  We arrived in UK on Friday and Plusnet does not work on Outlook 365 since arriving in the previous apartment where it previously worked.  I have tried it on 3 computers.  I have tried all of the suggestions in the Plusnet instructions on how to set emails.  I have tried all combinations outgoing/incoming, SMTP, POP, TLS, STARTTLS, relay, mail, authentication, servers and ports imaginable. 

I would like assistance it setting up correctly. 

bushwood
Grafter

I should have mentioned that the Plusnet accounts are POP and the Gmail is IMAP.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Are you able to post up screenshots showing the settings you're using to set up Outlook 365?

Obviously make sure you mark out any sensitive information like your username.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bushwood
Grafter

No, it will not allow me to screenshot the page.  However, using [Removed] I used incoming mail.com.net/110/none and outgoing relay.plus.com/587/STARTTLS.

When I proceed it reverts to Not Terry/Change account settings/Contact support.

I have also used outlook.office365.com/995/SSL/TLS  and  smtp.office365.com/587/SSLTLS.

I have combinations of most of them.

I think if I am going to stick with Plusnet I might have to use  IMAP.

Terry 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

bushwood
Grafter

It is slightly different for [Removed] because it has not been deleted from Outlook 365,  [Removed](1)  has been deleted from Outlook 365.  It is a new email though the old one is still in the Outlook 365 file list.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@bushwood wrote:

using [Removed] I used incoming mail.com.net/110/none and outgoing relay.plus.com/587/STARTTLS.

Hi @bushwood, if you're using our SMTP server, I'm afraid you'd need to set SSL/TLS to no.

More information on our mail settings can be found Here.

I hope this helps.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bushwood
Grafter

On [Removed], I have tried mail.plus.net/110/none incoming and relay.plus.net/578/none outgoing, outgoing server requires authentication and log on to td@etc.  It fails to work.

I have tried [Removed], mail.plus.net/110/none incoming and relay.plus.net/578/none outgoing, no authentication and message delivery use an existing data file.  It fails to work.

Any other ideas? 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @bushwood, thanks for the update.

Had you any luck in turning the SSL/TLS off?

I think if you have and we're still having no joy we'll need to get some screens of each step you're taking over to us for our review.

bushwood
Grafter

Hi, 

I think I have tried most combinations of settings.

I am away from home (visiting grandchildren) so I am short of time but I shall try over the next day or so.

If you have the time to keep checking back here to see how I am doing, I will appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Terry