cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freenetname secure connection possible/planned?

FIXED
pnforumMW
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Freenetname secure connection possible/planned?

I've had a Freenetname account since 2004, and seen it pass through Madasafish and then to Plusnet.

I think I'm starting to have problems with the lack of a secure email connection to the server, so rather than go into the details of the problems, can I ask if "mail.freenetname.co.uk" or "smtp.freenetname.co.uk" (which are the incoming and outgoing servers I use) are likely to get secure connections or is the server so old and decrepit that it's just being left to quietly die? It wouldn't surprise me, as I haven't been asked to pay anthing for the service for well over a decade.

Thanks for any insight you good people might have.

Incidentally, I recently installed Thunderbird (normally use Outlook 2010) and it gave the attached messages.

2 REPLIES 2
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Freenetname secure connection possible/planned?

Fix

As far as I’m aware no but for a Madasafish (Freenetname) account, you can use the Plusnet email servers which do support SSL and STARTTLS.

All the details you should need are here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
pnforumMW
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Freenetname secure connection possible/planned?

I've now got email send/receive working on Thunderbird using the "imap.plus.net" and "relay.plus.net" servers, but still having problems with Outlook 2010 (my primary email client). But at least I have proved that I can use the *.plus.net servers with an encrypted (SSL) connection.

Just a note for anyone else to watch out for:

Assuming your email is "myemail@freenetname.co.uk"

When using the *.freenetname.co.uk servers with Outlook, the logon username is "myemail" (no "freenetname" required). However if you use the *.plus.net servers, the username needs to be "myemail@freenetname.co.uk".