cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email box full

briston
Aspiring Pro

Email box full

I have received an email from Plusnet saying my email boxes are nearly full which puzzled me as I have set my client to delete from server after downloading. However tried to go on webmail to do it manually but as I don't use webmail because it's sooooo sloooow I forgot my password to my mailboxes. Called support to see if they can help. No, only way is to reset password, which presumably will mean resetting my login for my client.
However, the biggest reveal. When questioned I was told Plusnet are phasing out email, not giving out any more email. Admitted webmail is slow.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to directly tell people of the phasing out of a service instead of relying on people going to the pages of Plusnet. I like Plusnet because it's simple hence I don't keep visiting the Plusnet site just use the broadband and email.
5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Email box full

@briston You say email 'boxes' - how many do you have? If your client is set to delete from server after downloading - are you sure of this? - then this situation cannot arise.

Your main mailbox password is your account password - surely you know what this is, and if there is close to nothing in said box(es), then webmail is reasonably quick.

If and when PN discontinue the email service, they will advise all users - I suspect by email.

John
briston
Aspiring Pro

Ok. It's not the default email box. It's another one set up. I have forgotten it's password as it's different to the account password. The help agent told me that they no longer support email clients deleting from their server and everything is fine through the webmail. This surprised me. But it also explains why this is happening. I have over 500MB of mail on the Plusnet server which as far as I was concerned had been deleted.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Just a thought - If I set up passwords - for anything - I keep a record, as I know i won't remember them all, and on odd occasions, my system doesn't either.

The agent, with the greatest respect, is/was talking pure rubbish, otherwise you wouldn't be the only one with this issue.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

The help agent told me that they no longer support email clients deleting from their server and everything is fine through the webmail.

@briston  as @jab1 says , that's complete rubbish!

If your email client is using POP to collect mail, then mail will be stored locally on your PC and if its set to delete mail once collected, then mail will be deleted from the server.

If your email client is using IMAP, then mail resides on the server until you delete it. When deleted, mail clients usually move it to a deleted folder, which means its not actually deleted until you empty the deleted folder. If using IMAP, then sent mail is also stored on the server which will also take up space.

Ok. It's not the default email box. It's another one set up. I have forgotten it's password as it's different to the account password.

In that case it's relatively straightforward. Just login to the member centre and change the mailbox password. When you next try and collect mail, the mail client will give an error and should allow you to change its stored password and store it. Alternatively you could pre-empt it and configure the new passord in the mail client before collecting the mail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

briston
Aspiring Pro

I agree entirely about your comments about emails being deleted from the server if collected using POP. That's why I was puzzled with my box being full. As for the comments about the agent I spoke to, I was so taken aback I dare not question his comment about Plusnet no longer supporting email clients deleting the emails and that everything was moving to webmail.