cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Solutions (from SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP thread)

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Email Solutions (from SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP thread)

I am considering moving to an Office 365 solution, as I am a user of a MacBook Pro laptop with Office 2011 (moving to Office 2016), a Windows 10 laptop with Outlook 2016, various iDevices and a Windows Mobile device.  So I can see the benefits of moving.  But I am a few months off moving, as I have loads invested in my Force 9 e-mail address...
Force 9 (Plus Net) have provided what I needed from 1997 until now.  But I am keep to help them develop if they want the assistance Wink
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Posts split off to a new topic and renamed as they are no longer relevant to the SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP thread.
10 REPLIES 10
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

Quote from: neilhobbs
I am considering moving to an Office 365 solution, as I am a user of a MacBook Pro laptop with Office 2011 (moving to Office 2016), a Windows 10 laptop with Outlook 2016, various iDevices and a Windows Mobile device.  So I can see the benefits of moving.  But I am a few months off moving, as I have loads invested in my Force 9 e-mail address...

Could you forward your Force 9 email on to a new email address?  I'm using an ancient email address from a provider who doesn't even support IMAP access, what I do is put a forward rule on that original mail box to send it to my Gmail account.  Then in Gmail I set up the legacy email address as an additional email address, set as the default reply to address and default "send mail as".    So from Gmail I can both send and receive using my old email address.
Depending on your email client, you could possibly also move your existing historic F9 mail into your new account.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

If I was going to move, I would look to register a new domain for an Internet presence - then have the MX records hosted by Microsoft and update everything over to the new e-mail.  It would be good way to start afresh with a new identity.
It would be a lot of work.  It is a bit of a disappointment that I have to move supplier to get a modern service, but some applications and other ideas are forcing me to have a look at this option.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: aesmith
Could you forward your Force 9 email on to a new email address?   I'm using an ancient email address from a provider who doesn't even support IMAP access, what I do is put a forward rule on that original mail box to send it to my Gmail account.

You have to have a mail client running to do that which isn't always that convenient.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Its possible to do that in something like Exchange, but I don't want to host an Exchange Server and supporting Active Directory Domain Services instance within Plus Net to manage this.  Not even sure if Plus Net would allow that?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Of course, the other option (for now) is to use a different email client instead of the Microsoft offering...
aesmith
Pro

Quote from: spoon
Could you forward your Force 9 email on to a new email address?   I'm using an ancient email address from a provider who doesn't even support IMAP access, what I do is put a forward rule on that original mail box to send it to my Gmail account.

You have to have a mail client running to do that which isn't always that convenient.

That's why I asked if it was possible.  Every mail system that I've used (Tesco, Nildram, Gmail, Demon etc etc) has allowed you to put a forwarding address or a forwarding rule on the service, so no client is involved.  I don't know if Force 9 has this feature.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

That's why I asked if it was possible.  Every mail system that I've used (Tesco, Nildram, Gmail, Demon etc etc) has allowed you to put a forwarding address or a forwarding rule on the service, so no client is involved.  I don't know if Force 9 has this feature.

It starts to get too complex to look after and troubleshoot then...
aesmith
Pro

Quick rummage around, and assuming Force 9 has the same function as Plusnet, then it can be done with a "redirect". 
A redirect will move email from one of your mailboxes into another address (e.g. a personal Hotmail account). This is handy if you are going away, or if you just want your emails sending to another address for convenience

However, they won't let you redirect an address that's already in use as a mailbox, which almost completely contradicts this explanation.  It seems possible it could be done by renaming the mail box and re-using the original address in the redirect.  Could be worth playing around. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You cannot rename a mail box.
The logistical approach is...
1. Remove all mail from the existing email box to the new target address / box
2. Delete the existing email address / box
3. Set up a redirect address using the existing address, pointed to the new address
See here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings -> manage my mail

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Email Solutions (from SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP thread)

One thing to note is that a separate redirect would have to be set up for every individual email address used - you can't redirect the whole domain.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)