cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Outage tonight - 12th November?

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Email Outage tonight - 12th November?

Can send, but not receive emails using Thunderbird from 22:00 tonight.
Anyone else seeing a similar problem?
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email Outage tonight - 12th November?

I have seen a couple of glitches but a retry seems to work
I wonder if this is related
Webmail problems (73329) - NEW
Email
Posted on: Monday 12 November 2012, 21:31
There is currently a problem affecting our webmail platform.
When trying to connect to webmail you may be seeing timeouts or an error message.
Our engineers are investigating and we'll provide further information as it becomes available.
Kind regards,
Matt Taylor
Customer Support
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I have seen a couple of glitches but a retry seems to work
I wonder if this is related

Could be, I suppose.
Retrying doesn't work for me, but i know sending works as I can see emails sent to a Gmail account, but not any replies.
Sending test emails to Plusnet, F9 & free-online accounts seems to work, but again, I can't receive any of them at the moment.
There are no error messages at all.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Same here... can send out OK but not receiving emails in. Did get one test email I sent which was delayed by 35 minutes, but the 20 or so others I have sent from both other plusnet email addresses and from hotmail / google / fasthosts have not arrived.
Incoming emails seem to be getting stuck somewhere. Note: all the emails were accepted by plusnet's mail servers so they must be within plusnets mail system.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks guys, not sure if it's related but I'll mention it to the engineer looking at the webmail issue. Sorry about all this.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've just sent a test email out from Outlook Express to my normal email address and it's gone since it's appeared at Yahoo to where all incoming emails to that address are mirrored - so it definitely got sent but hasn't then reappeared via download from Plusnet.
EDIT - just arrived - three minutes after sending so delayed but not too bad...
FURTHER EDIT - I then tried an email in direct from Yahoo -  that's showing as taking six minutes - so emails are arriving but delayed. I've also just had one from the Briskoda.net forum which is showing as having taken 12 minutes.
SORRY FURTHER EDIT - just received one sent by a friend from gmail  - over two hours ago! At least they are getting through and not bouncing back it appears...
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I'm slowly getting some emails in now with delays between 15mins and 2 hours. Still not seen any of the test emails I sent over 2 hours ago. Someone give the mail servers a kick to wake them up please.
This is annoying as I'm actually doing email testing tonight and I'm stuck until they arrive.  Sad
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Emails I send now are coming through straight away... some of my older emails have arrived with delays over 3 hours so I'm guessing the mail servers are trying to catch up with the backlog.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes - working fine this morning - several other emails turned up overnight and I've just sent one this morning without a problem.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

There was a problem last night but everything is working well this morning.
I phoned CS last night and they said the problem was caused by the large number of emails being handled by the servers Undecided Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all, just checked on the latest and it seems it was down to a combination of spam (a LOT of spam!) and a full disk. These have been fixed for the moment but the SS is still open and will remain so until we've fixed the root cause. Mail is being received fine and webmail logins are working as normal.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The graph is pretty telling!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Peter
Emails I send now are coming through straight away... some of my older emails have arrived with delays over 3 hours so I'm guessing the mail servers are trying to catch up with the backlog.

You could say that Wink

Edit: Beat to it by jelv!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Bob, any reason for the sudden increase in spam?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Is there a problem still?
I am in hospital and using Cloud to access services.  Mail is getting through to me but when I try to send I get the following message:
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:   rejected - relay denied. Please check the message recipient xxx and try again.

Funny thing the message appears in my sent box and when I send an email to myself it eventually arrives.