cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing emails

martinwhitcomb
Hooked

Disappearing emails

Hello.  I  have  recently  been  experiencing  a  problem  with  my  email.  When  I  send  an  email  it  goes  to  the  

"sent  items"  folder  but  it  only  remains  there  for  a  few  seconds  and  then  disappears.  If  the  recipient  replies,  the  original  message  comes  back  to  me  attached  to  their  reply,  but  if  they  don't  reply  it  is  lost  and  I  have  no  record  of  it.  The  same  thing  happens  with  deleted  items,  they  only  remain  in  the  folder  for  a  few  seconds  before  disappearing."

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Extra spaces removed.
9 REPLIES 9
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Disappearing emails

Hiya @martinwhitcomb

I'm sorry to hear this is happening and I can imagine what a nightmare this is. 

I want to get to the bottom of this for you, can you advise if you are sending these via our Webmail service or a client? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
martinwhitcomb
Hooked

Hi  Sammy,  thanks  for  your  help. Not  sure  which  actually - I  think  it  is  just  Windows  Mail,  not  very  well  up  on  technical  detail.  I  also  know  of  one  other  person  who  has  this  problem  but  I  don't  have  her  email  address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Martin,

No problem, are you able to log in to webmail.plus.net and check if the emails you're missing are there? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
martinwhitcomb
Hooked

Sorry,  they  are  not  there.  They  disappear  from  Webmail  just  as  they  do  from  Windows  Mail.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm. Do you have your emails set up on other devices as well as Windows Mail? I'm thinking that your mail account could be set up as what's known as POP3 and that device could be moving the emails to itself.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
martinwhitcomb
Hooked

I  have  no  other  devices.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I'd be fairly confident that the problem with sent and deleted mail is down to Windows 10 mail insistence on using a different IMAP folder structure to that of PlusNet mail See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Needing-help-with-IMAP-folders/td-p/1410747

So what happens is that the sent and deleted folders as seen by Windows mail don't exist on the server.

TBH I'd suggest using a different mail client such as Thunderbird

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

martinwhitcomb
Hooked

Until  just  recently  I  had  never  actually  sent  any  messages  using  Webmail,  I  had  only  used  Windows  Mail,  but  in  the  last  few  days  I  have  been  using  Webmail  instead,  and  I  have  found  that  the  sent  and  deleted  items  do  actually  remain  in  their  folders  without  any  problem.  I  think  it  might  solve  the  problem  if  I  continue  to  use  Webmail  exclusively  from  now  on,  and  avoid  using  Windows  Mail

Thanks  to  everyone  for  their  help.  Should  I  now  tick  "this  fixed  my  problem"?.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@martinwhitcomb wrote:

Thanks  to  everyone  for  their  help.  Should  I  now  tick  "this  fixed  my  problem"?.

The purpose of this field is to identify the post that actually provided the fix, not to indicate that you have applied a solution suggested by others. As you have not followed any advice it’s probably best to leave it.. This enables others with the same issue to quickly find a solution that works.

Personally I would have followed @MisterW‘s suggestion as Thunderbird is far more convenient to use than web mail. Then having confirmed that it worked (assuming of course that it did), select his post as the answer that fixed the problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'