cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked I.P. Address - Need ISP to Unblock

xswitchback
Grafter

Blocked I.P. Address - Need ISP to Unblock

I've been sending emails from my work email account when suddenly any and all outgoing messages have been completely blocked by 'Spamhaus'. I went to the directed website given through the notifications that my emails were getting blocked, and was told that to get my I.P. removed from their blocklist they need the request to come from PlusNet themselves. Can anyone help me here or do I need to call up directly?

Please see the attachment for the message given. Thank you.

Edit: I did some further digging and apparently the issue could be due to dynamic I.P Addressing. Someone has misused this I.P and because it's been assigned to me this time, I'm no longer able to send any outgoing mail. I can assure you I have never sent spam ever. Would disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet reassign me a new I.P and allow me to send emails again?

14 REPLIES 14
Monsoft
Dabbler

Re: Blocked I.P. Address - Need ISP to Unblock

Do you have business broadband ?

xswitchback
Grafter

I don't.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Our dynamic IPs are fairly sticky as they're assigned from a small pool specific to your exchange so the chances of getting the same one back is pretty high but try turning your router off for 65 minutes and then back on.

Also we list all our IPs on Spamhaus PBL unless you have a business static IP. Normally I'd ask, are you sending mail through our outgoing mail server relay.plus.net and if you're using your own mail server, try using ours as a 'smarthost', but the circumstances here seem a little different to me. Are you using a VPN?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
xswitchback
Grafter

Thank you for the replies so far.

I'm not using a VPN nor am I using my own server or PlusNet's. I'm sending mail through 'mail.com', the host listed in the mail error message is outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com.

I'll turn off my router over night as it's in use at current, but is there a quicker solution in future? I needed to forward an urgent email with attachments by a particular deadline and resorted to an alternate account after numerous attempts to send it through.

I may try a VPN if it'll be quicker to fix.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @xswitchback 

If you have a mobile and 3G/4G signal, try creating a hotspot to your laptop/computer to send mail.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
xswitchback
Grafter

Thank you for being so quick to respond, @Gandalf.

I'll test the hotspot next I send an email if my router reset doesn't work. I'll update this thread tomorrow to see if there's any improvement.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good, no problem @xswitchback 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Monsoft
Dabbler

I don't know "mail.com" service but usually when emails are send from local computer, mail flow is:
local_computer->mail_server->->destination_mail_server

Destination mail server shouldn't see your local computer IP (I mean your router's external IP) as source of email. Source of email will be mail_server where you have your email address hosted.

xswitchback
Grafter

Back with an update.

Turned off my router for 70 minutes or so and tried again, same issue. I was about to try and use a mobile hotspot when I thought I'd try forwarding a different email to my alt account.

Now this worked. I tried numerous emails from different sources and they all made it to my alt inbox. Tried the email destined to my workplace, tried forwarding it to my own alternate email, and it fails. Each and every time.

Very puzzling. I also thought the error message showing my I.P. was equally strange let alone the host server. I have no ideas at this point.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Email.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update @xswitchback

I may be misunderstanding but does this mean you're able to send mail normally now apart from one particular email?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
xswitchback
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf.

You understand right. To clarify, I'm able to send emails to my alternate email account, except for two emails. The two were originally composed to be sent to my workplace. It looks like they never made it there.

When I first sent them, I received no error messages and assumed they went through successfully. It was only when my managers called I was told they were never received. I made to forward them on once again, but this is when I received an error message which I've explained at the beginning of the thread.

To test my router reset as you advised, I started forwarding other emails to my alternate email account to check if they were indeed making it through. They were, apart from the two emails that were for my workplace.

It may be something to do at my workplace's end as they did mention they were having trouble with their own emails.

I'm hoping to keep this thread open though as I'm unsure what the true problem might be. The apparent block on I.P. or my workplace's email system. I'm confused to either as surely forwarding the two problem emails to my own alternate email account shouldn't prevent them from making it through, and yet it does.

I hope this makes sense.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @xswitchback 

Ah thanks for the clarification, no problem let me know if you need further help from us.

Threads stay open for a very long time before auto-locking (I think that may be 1 or 2 years)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

@xswitchback  and @Gandalf 

I think threads are auto-locked after 6 months.

By that time it's probably better to start a new thread with a link back to the original.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still