Did you mean: 

Blank Error Message

pce

Blank Error Message

Hello,

We keep randomly getting the following error and emails fail to send

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* email@address

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** email@address ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

The attached Txt file says the following

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-ptp-003 [84.93.230.244]
Received-From-MTA: dns; ColleaguesLaptop [IP Address]
Arrival-Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 09:23:45 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; myemail@address
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 command unrecognized

Last-attempt-Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 09:23:45 +0000

This has been going on for a while!

Any ideas on what the problem is? Is it a plusnet issue?

6 REPLIES 6
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Blank Error Message

Hello @pce

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with sending some emails. Can I ask, are you seeing this error when sending emails to all recipients, or is it just specific people / businesses? Also, are you having this problem on a third party client? If so, can you please try and send an email through your webmail account? 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
pce

Hi Adam,

It happens very randomly, but is more than often just one recipient who wont get it. It's no one specific, but it has happened to myself and my other 2x colleagues. It mainly happened just from emails to each other, but the other day an external email failed to send to us. Because it's very random, sending an email through the webmail was fine.

We use Office Outlook.

Many Thanks,

Sam

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @pce

I'm not aware of any major issues with our email system at the moment, so this one is going to be a little tricky to fully diagnose. Are you able to stick to using webmail for a few days to see if you're still having any issues? If it's the case, there might be an issue with the client you're using. Usually, removing the account and setting it up again resolves these.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@adam945 

This is a random occurrence.  I see it frequently in respect of a monitoring service which notifies of exception events by email.  These arrive most of the time with out issue.  Then there is a "stumble" an attempted submission fails with a SMTP 500 command error ... and an email is generated to the submitting email address ... which happens o be the same as the addressee.

It could be a failure with a specific SMTP server instance or it could just be a service congestion issue.  If it helps, I will monitor and provide evidence for JW.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pce

Cheers @Townman!

Been getting a few more of these over the past few days

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 command unrecognized

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Yes they are very random - I have not seen one this month - yet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.