Did you mean: 

onClick events issues - Fix rolled out

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

onClick events issues - Fix rolled out

Morning

This morning @mtrinder and @jaread83 rolled out a fix to the above issue and having tested this, everything is now working as it should.

We've closed the case with Lithium. Thanks for your patience.

Louisa

Louisa
18 REPLIES 18
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: onClick events issues - Fix rolled out

Louisa,

This is really good news.  Is anyone looking at why this issue did not show up on the test environment, yet hit the production platform so hard?  Was it an untested release to the live service or is there a difference in the configuration of live and test services to cause somethings to function differently?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hiya

I'm gonna pass this to @jaread83 to answer as he has the background detail more than me.

Ta

Louisa
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The root of the issue was from Google Analytics click tracking overriding click functionality across the entire community for some users. We have since disabled click tracking and now we are seeing positive results.

This should fix a massive amount of reported problems so fingers crossed it has helped those users who were having problems with things like the user menu, preview/html tabs, tabs, option dialogs and many other 'click' functions.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @jaread83,

Thank you for a clear explanation, which delivers real reassurance.  Given the really secure test environment, Google Analytics never got a chance to screw things up over there.  This must have taken a while to diagnose!

That said, GA monitoring every user action is a bit big brother! Evil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:

It is a bit but its all anonymous data and it doesn't track any particular users. Its all quite useful to know what is being used a lot (like the useful links bar at the bottom or links from the homepage to various places) and have data to decide if anything needs to be changed in the future.

I just want to be open and honest with you all and be as transparent as possible as far as web development goes here. That was what I did during the staging version and I hope I can keep doing the same here but in a more formal way than I did on there Cool_smiley

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

@jaread83 - What's wrong with data mining your web server logs? Wouldn't you get this same level of information here?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I used to have some pretty handy web tools that would get server logs and make useful graphs from that data but that was going back 7 years ago before GA became more useful. You simply can't get that level of detail from server logs anymore - plus it's been a while since I looked at that kind of thing.

I don't have access to the server logs anyway Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough just thought I'd ask.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

At 19-04-2016 11:20 AM @LouisaMartin wrote:

This morning @mtrinder and @jaread83 rolled out a fix to the above issue and having tested this, everything is now working as it should.

We've closed the case with Lithium. Thanks for your patience.

I'd suggest that in future such definitive statements aren't made until users who have been asked to test that the 'fix' is working, have completed testing  By all means make a statement about a roll-out, but don't close cases with Lithium until it is confirmed 100% OK.

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jaread - is this not fixed?Huh

@mtrinder confirmed everything was working as it should and it was ok to close this case.

@Anotherone - I would never confirm it was fixed and close without confirming with the gents above
Louisa
Anotherone
Champion

Well when one of them asked me to do some testing, I was surprised to find this thread before I'd got back with some more definitive statements. But I am happy to say that I've done some extensive testing and to date had no more issues, so if by the end of the day nobody mentions in the other thread that they still have problems, I'll mark it as fixed Smiley

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's certainly looking good but I'd be hesitant in declaring an intermittent issue fixed without testing over several (certainly more than a couple) users / devices /connections.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@LouisaMartin wrote:
@jaread - is this not fixed?Huh

@mtrinder confirmed everything was working as it should and it was ok to close this case.

@Anotherone - I would never confirm it was fixed and close without confirming with the gents above

Don't worry @LouisaMartin, it is confirmed as fixed. I have had enough positive feedback from muliplte users and test devices to conclude that this is now resolved. I have also helped a few internal staff who needed to clear browsing cache to get it to work but were clearly having a lot of issues before only for those issues to now be completely gone.

So yes, it is resolved. @Anotherone, as Louisa has said, we wouldn't close a ticket without enough feedback. I made sure of that Wink

Anotherone
Champion

Well further to my last post in this thread I agree with @w23 especially as not all staff were seeing issues and not as frequently as we were @LouisaMartin