cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What web browsers do Lithium officially support ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What web browsers do Lithium officially support ?

In another topic -

@LouisaMartin wrote:

Lithium are using v45 and can't replicate the error.

Does that suggest that for Firefox users, that Lithium only support v45 ?,

as Lithium don't have either previous or later browser versions to test compatibility with !

Does Lithium have a published specification as to the range of browser versions that they support ?.

What are the minimum HTML5 and CSS features required to make this forum work fully and as intended ?

Does the Lithium web server have the capability to adapt to a subset of features for older browsers, based on the browser header information sent to the server when doing a page fetch ?.

I'm thinking of perhaps mobile devices where an older version of Firefox is installed, which can no longer be updated as often manufacturers stop providing updates past two years after end of production.

Is it expected that users of such devices should be able to fully interact with this forum, if their browser is several years old ?

14 REPLIES 14
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: What web browsers do Lithium officially support ?

From the documentation it says the 'latest' versions of the following browsers (with javascript enabled):

• Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Internet Explorer 8*, 9, 10 or 11
  • Safari
  • Microsoft Edge

Now I know it says 'latest' there so I have posted a message on the Lithium community asking if FF 46 is supported as we have had multiple users having an issue with this particular browser version. I will see what they say about that.

Interestingly, for mobile browsers, the platform only supports the following:

• iOS with Safari
  • Chrome on Android

So this means the standard Android browser is not supported.

The documentation also states that while browsers are always changing and being updated, it makes it a bit unpredictable so if something were to break due to a browser update then they would action it in a platform release in the future.

Sorry I can't give any more information than that, I got this from the documentation on their community website.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@jaread83 wrote:

From the documentation it says the 'latest' versions of the following browsers (with javascript enabled):

• Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Internet Explorer 8*, 9, 10 or 11
  • Safari
  • Microsoft Edge

...  have IE11 here, and a few days back (as per the post at https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/SEO-improvement-with-redirect/m-p/1331974#M15726 ) experienced a significant issue with code not displaying correctly.

I did wonder at the time why this lithium-based forum should not be as compatible with IE11 as it is with FF;  from the list above it looks as though it should be.

Just thought it might be worth flagging up here, given the thread title.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

• iOS with Safari
  • Chrome on Android

I have a windows phone using MS Edge which is not on the list ?? 

Also my main PC is win10 with FF46.0.1  and i dont wish to go back to a previous version so can we expect lithium to bring out a fix soon

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Not chrome on ios either? Talk about limited
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Chrome on iOS is actually just a skinned version of iOS Safari.

Not sure about Windows Phone I'm afraid.

@Penny, that looks like a problem with character encoding. Can you start a new thread on the community feedback board so I can log the fault and reference your topic in the support ticket?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@jaread83 wrote:
@Penny, that looks like a problem with character encoding. Can you start a new thread on the community feedback board so I can log the fault and reference your topic in the support ticket?

Will do, and thanks : )

Edited to add:  related thread at https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/character-encoding-lithium-forum/m-p/1333826 .

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Jaread83 ,,  can you ask Lithium about the windows phone ??  i would expect i am not the only one using this

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Technically it should work fine as its the edge browser on Windows phone and Microsoft have been very good with this new breed of web browser in keeping up with the latest technologies. Internet explorer has always been the bane of my life in all my years as a web developer and Edge is a breath of fresh air for me. I will ask about it though and let you know.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@rongtw wrote:

• iOS with Safari
  • Chrome on Android

Interesting, I currently have (minor) problems using Chrome on my Android 6.0 mobile but no issues using the default android browser.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's the opposite for me @w23. I am using an extremely outdated phone to test it with though and there are problems with the flyout menus on android browser but not on Chrome.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Odd @jaread83, Android 'Browser' Version 6.0-1461398205 no issues with the fly-out menu, Google Chrome Version 50.0.2661.89 will NOT scroll with the fly-out menu showing.

The 'menu' button (grey, top-right) that replaces the top (Plusnet) menu on mobile devices doesn't seem to work or any mobile browser I've tried on any phone I've tried, menu opens OK but nothing can actually be selected - doesn't bother me in the least because I know how to get to any of those links anyway but could be a bit of an 'own goal' not having the links to the main (Sales!) site working.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@w23, - the unclickable items in the menu is a known bug that I have put a fix out for on the staging site. Have a look on there and it should be fixed but the change is still ongoing as I had to degrade every other browser to get the 'android browser' to work properly. Work is still ongoing on the flyout menus and Chrome on Android is my next browser to do a round of testing on.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rongtw wrote:

Jaread83 ,,  can you ask Lithium about the windows phone ??  i would expect i am not the only one using this

@rongtw I have been told by a Lithium engineer that Edge browser on Windows phone is supported on this version of the platform. Edge is technically the same on both mobile and desktop in terms of its capabilities.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It would be interesting to know when they fixed the issues with the Edge browser and the RT editor as more than one (I thought) identified issues during testing.